Why do people hate the Galaxy S5?

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Now I haven't exactly looked much into it, as I'm not a big fan of Samsung, but whats with all the hate?
1) Its not premium!!
Well it has metal sides doesn't it? Thats better then nothing, but to be honest I actually prefer that, don't like Apple or HTC One because of the all metal.
2) Ugly back?
Didn't the N7 '12 have a textured back? It was pretty well received, and they did it to reduce slippage, which is a good thing. Plus its exchangable, so what?
3) Same old, Same Old.
Not really. Samsung is refining its Touchwiz Software, not as much as we expected but its a start. The Galaxies have held the same design ish, not as close as iPhones, but its pretty much always been the same, even for the windows phones. The HTC M8 is relatively the same, and I hope the Moto X2 is the same-ish design.
4) Lack of features.
Yes I know Samsung is known for its feature packed phones. But really after all they added with the S4, I'm glad their not doing another S4. Plus if Samsung really fixed up its HR sensor, fitness apps, it would be a dream!
5) I don't know what to put here, but I felt like it needs a 5th.

Last edited by a moderator:

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why do people hate the S5?

Great points
As for the textured back, it can easily be replaced by better ones on eBay, so I don't see why people complain about that so much
As for Touchwiz, I use Nova Launcher I never use Touchwiz..launcher can be replaced

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Launchers don't cover anything except skinning the homescreen and app drawer. That's it. You still get TW in all of the core apps - sms, phone, contacts, settings menus, notification panel, etc etc etc - all prevalent throughout the phone

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Launchers don't cover anything except skinning the homescreen and app drawer. That's it. You still get TW in all of the core apps - sms, phone, contacts, settings menus, notification panel, etc etc etc - all prevalent throughout the phone
Then why buy a SAMSUNG device? I mean yeah you could flash a ROM, but it makes zero sense when people praise samsung, say all this good stuff, but have a stock rom flashed.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Well you could download new dialers, messaging apps, and others from the app store (The benefit of Android)...you dont have to keep it
I personally dont see anything wrong with the stock Messages and Dialer...I think its perfectly fine

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Well you could download new dialers, messaging apps, and others from the app store (The benefit of Android)...you dont have to keep it
I personally dont see anything wrong with the stock Messages and Dialer...I think its perfectly fine

Not debating whether or not 3rd party replacements for core apps like those are a solution (although they never integrate throughout the phone as well as Samsung's own) or whether or not they're fine, I'm simply pointing out that launchers are not capable of skinning anything other than the two points I listed.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Then why buy a SAMSUNG device? I mean yeah you could flash a ROM, but it makes zero sense when people praise samsung, say all this good stuff, but have a stock rom flashed.

What you guys dislike....others might like....and vice versa. I like TW because it serves my needs very well! So well in fact that its whats kept me with Samsung up until now. I've decided to look for another device not because I dislike Samsung but simply because I want to try something else. I just hope that whatever else I pick serves my needs as well or better than my previous devices.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Not debating whether or not 3rd party replacements for core apps like those are a solution (although they never integrate throughout the phone as well as Samsung's own) or whether or not they're fine, I'm simply pointing out that launchers are not capable of skinning anything other than the two points I listed.

Well yeah that's true, but its still beneficial to those who don't like Touchwiz UI (like me)...it pretty much makes the phone UI into a whole new phone except for the stock apps, unless u replace them

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I don't even think the sides of the S5 are metal. Samsung just doesn't have it in them to use the real deal in their phones. No metal sides. No leather back. No Kevlar or carbon fiber.
duve2e2u.jpg

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Well yeah that's true, but its still beneficial to those who don't like Touchwiz UI (like me)...it pretty much makes the phone UI into a whole new phone except for the stock apps, unless u replace them

But it doesn't. Launchers only affect the homescreen and app drawer appearance, nothing more. As soon as you delve any deeper, it's TW, Sense, or whatever else. Same goes for notifications.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

But it doesn't. Launchers only affect the homescreen and app drawer appearance, nothing more. As soon as you delve any deeper, it's TW, Sense, or whatever else. Same goes for notifications.

Well technically it's not a new phone, but it makes it feel like it, especially if you customize it right...for example I love my UI, and people who also have a GS4 have told me its like I have a new phone and wonder how I customize mine so well

People usually complain about the Touchwiz UI, and a launcher can fix that. I know it wont fix the looks of the settings and all that other internal crap, but as long as I like my HS's thats good

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

I to use Nova. There are many things that Nova provides that neither stock android or TW does. The ability to customize the look and size of icons, folders, dock and app drawer. Better spacing between icons and widgets to get that perfect look. Better folders. The use of Gestures. Badges. All of which I use. The TW stuff that's left over doesn't bother me.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

I plan on using Nova or Holo HD too. A lot of stuffs in TW can be turned off, disabled or even replaced with other apps from what I see. It doesn't bother me much.

Eric Mazariegos

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Sammy devices are usually ahead of the competition when it comes to specs and hardware (not anymore with the GS5), so people who want a superior hardware experience AND software experience - that's who flashes a Sammy device.

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I have had my note ii since it came out on tmobile and by csme out I mean on its launch day I was there at 9am to buy it.

I was rooted and running a custum rom the next day.

I ran cyogen mod once it came out, I ran a few others, but my favorite is jedi, still running it, based on stock with touchwiz. I dont like those vanilla aokp roms on samsung devices. [Except the precedent because of vm heap] now on htc devices yes because I dislike sense so I can see why some dislike tw. But hey to each their own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have had my note ii since it came out on tmobile and by csme out I mean on its launch day I was there at 9am to buy it.

I was rooted and running a custum rom the next day.

I ran cyogen mod once it came out, I ran a few others, but my favorite is jedi, still running it, based on stock with touchwiz. I dont like those vanilla aokp roms on samsung devices. [Except the precedent because of vm heap] now on htc devices yes because I dislike sense so I can see why some dislike tw. But hey to each their own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

What I REALLY like about TW that I use daily and that I feel should be standard on all Android devices is the 'swipe left to message' and 'right to call on contacts'. I use it so much in fact that it might be a problem if my next device doesn't have it. I'm running Wicked Sensations rom on my S3 because its a TW based rom.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
What I REALLY like about TW that I use daily and that I feel should be standard on all Android devices is the 'swipe left to message' and 'right to call on contacts'. I use it so much in fact that it might be a problem if my next device doesn't have it. I'm running Wicked Sensations rom on my S3 because its a TW based rom.
That's easily one of the best UI advancements I've ever seen in Android.

To answer the OP, people hate the S5 because Samsung is popular. There's no big mystery there.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
The sides are also plastic, not real metal. As to why people dislike, who knows. I don?t like Samsung products generally, because I dislike the UI (I don?t like Launchers), and their devices are filled with Samsung stuff, taking up way too much space. The GS4 GPE was a good device though, that I can use. I think the GS5 is uglier than the GS4, and it should have been the other way around.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, in the "real world" Samsung devices are NOT hated, but reading some of the Blogs you would think so...just my .02 cents