Galaxy S5: So why no OIS?

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
My largest complaint with the S5 has got to be the fact they didn't put OIS on the camera. After having OIS on both my LG G2 and HTC One, I can tell you it helps a lot with taking pictures and even more with video. So why didn't Samsung include it? Other than that I love the way the S5 looks and will probably get it later or just wait on the Note 4

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

vamp464

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: So why no OIS?

No there's only digital stabilization in the s4.

Likely the same with the S5, since the only big news about it so far has been the new sensor. But that is the most exciting part and I can't wait to see more samples.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

GS5 has very fast auto-focus and big 1/2.6" ISOCELL sensor. So I think lack of OIS is not that big issue as most shots will be taken pretty fast. Fast, accurate auto-focus is more important than OIS in DSLRs too.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

The camera is still pretty good though, look at the sample shots

GS5 has very fast auto-focus and big 1/2.6" ISOCELL sensor. So I think lack of OIS is not that big issue as most shots will be taken pretty fast. Fast, accurate auto-focus is more important than OIS in DSLRs too.

Yeah I saw a post about the ISOCELL tech they apparently (quietly) put into the S5 and I was impressed, especially with how great and non-shaky the video was. I'm pretty excited now

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I saw a post about the ISOCELL tech they apparently (quietly) put into the S5 and I was impressed, especially with how great and non-shaky the video was. I'm pretty excited now

Even on current phones digital stabilization tends to outperform OIS in delivering stable videos. I think the OIS hype will die down until some notable improvements are made there (for smartphones).

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

I am surprised that HTC actually removed OIS from its camera. That has to mean that OIS causes some sort of compromise or incompatibility with new features - maybe you can't get the same fast autofocus? (Both Samsung and HTC are claiming 0.3 s). Anyone with knowledge of camera tech have a conjecture here?

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

To answer my own question, here is a quote from the Engadget M8 review: "When we asked HTC about why the feature's gone, we were told it was left out due to improvements to the module -- faster autofocus was used as an example -- as well as overall feature cost and the extra space needed for the mechanical component. The company feels that it's less necessary to have this feature on today's advanced hardware. Furthermore, reps explained to us that OIS is also incompatible with its Duo Camera tech (which we'll discuss soon), which uses "smart stabilization" features like anti-shake."

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

honestly, if you see how good the digital image stabilization is on the S4 and S5, you won't be missing OIS much. I thought I was spoiled with my G2, but the digital version samsung uses is pretty good.

watch this video comparing the M8 and the S5 with digital stabilization..something it seems the M8 lacks, which is stupid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjnA9Z22G3s

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie