Samsung is NOT making a Galaxy S5 Prime version (confirmed)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Samsung VC hints at premium line of smartphones, while CEO denies premium Galaxy S5 | SamMobile

Many have been hopeful of a more premium and high-quality version of the Galaxy S5, one that would include all the latest tech, including a 2K/QHD (2560?1440) display, but till now, there has been little evidence that the device exists. Now, a report published in the Korean media and the words of Samsung?s Vice Chairman suggest that while there isn?t a premium Galaxy S5 (or Galaxy F, as it has been called) in the pipeline, the company is working on a premium line of smartphones that would help it address the weak performance the company?s profits have had lately.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 via Tapatalk

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't why people take rumors as fact, then want to hate on the product. People have to stop buying into rumors.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
...the company is working on a premium line of smartphones that would help it address the weak performance the company?s profits have had lately.

A separate premium line seems more desirable than an S5 prime. I'm glad Samsung recognizes that they could benefit from premium products.

4 of IV

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
So what's the difference between a 'premium S5' and a 'premium line of phones'. C'mon guys, this is all semantics.

So they don't call it the 'Premium S5', but rather the 'Premium F Whatever'. Semantics.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
So what's the difference between a 'premium S5' and a 'premium line of phones'. C'mon guys, this is all semantics.

So they don't call it the 'Premium S5', but rather the 'Premium F Whatever'. Semantics.

Exactly! It's the same thing no matter what they call it. Personally, even if it came out this year I would go with the S5. I really don't care if my phone is made out of metal or not and pushing all those pixels would be a waste of horsepower in my opinion. Maybe next year when we have more powerful processors. I just don't think I need more than 1080p on a phone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Exactly! It's the same thing no matter what they call it. Personally, even if it came out this year I would go with the S5. I really don't care if my phone is made out of metal or not and pushing all those pixels would be a waste of horsepower in my opinion. Maybe next year when we have more powerful processors. I just don't think I need more than 1080p on a phone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm hoping if they create a premium line it is indeed premium with a product as different from the S5 as the S5 is from the S3. Products using outer build materials that most would indeed deem premium insulating the best electronics. Rare metals are not required to be premium, but Kevlar or Carbon fiber or genuine leather would be nice. A 2K display with a CPU/GPU/battery to drive it with superior battery life and the best camera available. Deliberate and meticulous craftsmanship in an effort to craft a premium design...something superior to even the HTC One or M8. I wonder what they'll craft and look forward to seeing it.

3 f IV

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Of course he would deny it at this time. The way I'm reading it is the premium version or line won't be called S5 prime, almost confirmed.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'll never get why it is always assumed that once someone from the company or whatever responds to something, it's a fact. What did you expect him to do? Confirm it? Lol

Well if someone that high up the company says it's not... I wouldn't really take that as a rumor... I would have been more reluctant to not believe if he would have said "no comment at this time" rather than denying it completely

I'm not saying it's not completely true, but it has more "believability" than if someone else said it

Maybe instead of a premium Galaxy S5 they could be making premium tablets... U never know

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

It wouldn't by default be tied to the design cues of the Galaxy S line. It could depart on the general shape, materials, the abhorrent buttons .. they could literally do anything, and since it's a new line, whether or not those "changes" are good or bad can be observed in relative vacuum without inherently cannibalizing their own sales, especially if marketed against another high end device.

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Despite the CEO denying it I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. Obviously you wouldn't flatout say anything about it, and that Executive saying anything is stupid. The last thing you would want to do is let your fanbase know you're planning a top of the line premium edition of the phone you want to sell them earlier, would certainly hurt sales as then people would just hold off for this "Premium" phone.

If it is happening I would bet it'll drop around the time the new Iphone launches.

peteypab2133

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
A 2k or 4k screen would be a huge mistake and waste of battery. IMHO no one could distinguish the difference.

Posted via Android Central App

Hmmm. Strange that you can tell my eyes what to distinguish. Truth is if you have never watched 4k material on a 4k tv then you are talking just to hear yourself talk. 4k scaled down even on a 1080 display looks fantastic. I have been using samsung phones for years. This minimal screen resolution combined with a screen smaller than 5.2 or 5.3 is a bust for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm. Strange that you can tell my eyes what to distinguish. Truth is if you have never watched 4k material on a 4k tv then you are talking just to hear yourself talk. 4k scaled down even on a 1080 display looks fantastic. I have been using samsung phones for years. This minimal screen resolution combined with a screen smaller than 5.2 or 5.3 is a bust for me.

So you're saying that 1080p at 5-5.5" isn't good enough for you? You do understand PPI and how that comes in to play here right?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

peteypab2133

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
So you're saying that 1080p at 5-5.5" isn't good enough for you? You do understand PPI and how that comes in to play here right?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Enlighten me kevin. And please dont run to google. Im interested in hearing your take on this btw there is a HUGE difference between 5 inches and 5.5 on a phone.(ergonomically speaking) so its a big deal to me. But go ahead explain PPI to me :)

peteypab2133

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
And my math may be wrong but I think 5.5 inches at 2560x1440 is like 534.04 ppi. Basically untouched by any company as of now. And thats the reason why Samsung needed to do it.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Enlighten me kevin. And please dont run to google. Im interested in hearing your take on this btw there is a HUGE difference between 5 inches and 5.5 on a phone.(ergonomically speaking) so its a big deal to me. But go ahead explain PPI to me :)

Let me first ask a clarifying question? Are you saying that 1080p on a small screen isn't adequate, and that you'd like a higher resolution on a smaller screen (say, <5")? And above that you would like a higher resolution than 1080p because you'll be able to discern the individual pixels?

Let me also clarify that we weren't talking ergonomics when I quoted you, but you happened to bring that up this time, so for the sake of discussion I'm going to stick to PPI and also address "retina" and what it means.

At 5.1" a 1080p display is 432PPI (technically it's 431.94). Retina (in the way it's being used to market displays) refers to the point where you can no longer discern individual pixels on the display. Retina also takes in to account viewing distance, since being able to discern individual pixels absolutely has to do with a combination of PPI and viewing distance. Any tv no matter the size can appear to be retina if you sit far enough away.

At 432PPI it becomes retina at 8", assuming the "standard" 20/20 human vision. If we move to a 5.6" display the PPI is 393 and it's retina at 9" away.

If we move to a 2560x1400 display at 5.6" the PPI becomes 521 and it's retina around 7" away.

If we're realistic and honest with ourselves we don't hold our phone or tablet that close to our faces when viewing it.

Now a real world example. The Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 has a 2560x1400 8.4" display. It's PPI is 347 and it becomes retina at 10". I have one, and can confirm that this is accurate, and the last time I had my eyes checked I had 20/20.

In practical terms, the real benefit to a higher resolution display is how much content that can be displayed at any given time while not losing the clarity of said content. So viewing a webpage shows more content on the display at any given time. Whether you can read text when it's the small I can't say (I zoom in a little bit just to not strain), but there is definitely less scrolling on web pages.

Shawn_Dalwin

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Samsung VC hints at premium line of smartphones, while CEO denies premium Galaxy S5 | SamMobile

Many have been hopeful of a more premium and high-quality version of the Galaxy S5, one that would include all the latest tech, including a 2K/QHD (2560?1440) display, but till now, there has been little evidence that the device exists. Now, a report published in the Korean media and the words of Samsung’s Vice Chairman suggest that while there isn’t a premium Galaxy S5 (or Galaxy F, as it has been called) in the pipeline, the company is working on a premium line of smartphones that would help it address the weak performance the company’s profits have had lately.

rumors that was always a rumor dont think of it...