Buying from Best Buy?

Worlds2See

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody have any good / bad experience pre-ordering from Best Buy?

I registered last month for that extra $50 "gift card reserve offer". Does anybody know if you can combine that offer with a trade in value? I think the S3 is still being estimated at $75 trade in if it's in great condition.

Also, I'm a Verizon customer (trust me not by choice - I'm only 1 of 5 lines and not the account holder / decision maker) is it better for me to stick with the Asurian insurance coverage or go with whatever plan Best Buy is going to pitch me? I did have to put in a claim with my S3 and don't want to be without coverage.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
My family and friends (and me) had only good experience with best buy pre ordering.

Normally, they'll work with you to combine stuff that saves you money.

Understand what you already have with asurion and compare to the plan from best buy see which one is best for you.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Best buy insurance is worse than Verizon asurion.

Verizon asurion $5.18 /mo wireless protection program or $3/mo extended warranty, or both for $8/mo.$99 deductible per claim, 2 claim limit per year. Covers loss theft and physical damage

Best Buy geek squad protection is $10/mo,$149 deductible, and only covers physical damage.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
You can combine the trade in offers with the $50 gift card reserve, yes.

The insurance is up to what you think you need most. Generally, if you are worried about losing your phone, get Verizon's plan. If worried about Damage, I would get Best Buy's plan.

Posted via Android Central App

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I did get the insurance from Sprint's Asurion for the Palm Prē and the Motorola Photon. Last July when I got this Galaxy S4 I got bestbuy's insurance since it was a lot cheaper paying it all upfront the same day I got the phone.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can combine the trade in offers with the $50 gift card reserve, yes.

The insurance is up to what you think you need most. Generally, if you are worried about losing your phone, get Verizon's plan. If worried about Damage, I would get Best Buy's plan.

Why would you pick best buy over Verizon asurion? Both cover physical damage. Only benefit is best buy has 3 claim limit total whereas Verizon asurion has 2 claim limit per year. So if you need insurance that third time in a year then best buy would be better.

hardrocker89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Why would you pick best buy over Verizon asurion? Both cover physical damage. Only benefit is best buy has 3 claim limit total whereas Verizon asurion has 2 claim limit per year. So if you need insurance that third time in a year then best buy would be better.

Must have changed, when I had that horrible htc thunderbolt I ended up getting it replaced at least 4 times (screens aren't safe around me lol) and after the 4th replacement they gave me a droid maxx

hardrocker89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Thinking of just buying from a sprint store. Best buy is wanting $100 more for the phone (full retail price) compared to sprint's listing of $650. 😐😑😠😡😡😡😤😤😤

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Must have changed, when I had that horrible htc thunderbolt I ended up getting it replaced at least 4 times (screens aren't safe around me lol) and after the 4th replacement they gave me a droid maxx

Before best buy had no deductible and no claim limit, with same monthly premium. Sweet.

They changed it recently so that it is much worse.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thinking of just buying from a sprint store. Best buy is wanting $100 more for the phone (full retail price) compared to sprint's listing of $650. 😐😑😠😡😡😡😤😤😤

Best Buy may price match Sprint full retail

hardrocker89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Best Buy may price match Sprint full retail

So better to just go into a store instead of online? I was wanting to use bestbuy for getting the s5 since they offered the $50 towards an upgrade.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Thinking of just buying from a sprint store. Best buy is wanting $100 more for the phone (full retail price) compared to sprint's listing of $650. ������������������

Best Buy generally will hike up their "retail value" prices - usually a hundred bucks over what the carriers are charging. You can sometimes get them to match the carrier pricing but I wouldn't hold my breath.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
My wife has gotten her last two phones from best buy and I got my S3 from best buy. I will get my S5 from them too. I have never had any issues with them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Best Buy generally will hike up their "retail value" prices - usually a hundred bucks over what the carriers are charging. You can sometimes get them to match the carrier pricing but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Why do they do this? What is the perceived motivation? To discourage buying full retail?

via the tablet

hardrocker89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Is there really any point to preorder this phone from bestbuy? I have a strong feeling it will be in store the day of release I just can't make myself fork over the money for a pre order lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463