Any way to transfer data to Galaxy S5?

puremeerkat

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Currently have an HTC One and already preordered the S5. What's the best way to transfer pics/videos and app data to the S5 when I get it? The apps I'm not too concerned about as I can simply redownload them, however I have like 500 pictures that I'd like transferred over.

Last edited by a moderator:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Any way to transfer data to S5?

Currently have an HTC One and already preordered the S5. What's the best way to transfer pics/videos and app data to the S5 when I get it? The apps I'm not too concerned about as I can simply redownload them, however I have like 500 pictures that I'd like transferred over.

Maybe you can sync them to your Google Drive account and then re-sync them to your Galaxy S5. As for app data, you can try an app called Helium. I think it is the only app that backs up app data without root needed.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

You have a bevvy of options! Cloud storage, Bluetooth (SLOOOOW!), Android Beam (which in the S5 should be called S-Beam), WiFi Direct, or transfer everything to your PC and then to your new phone. The last two options should be the fastest, most straight forward.

As for apps, you can use apps like Titanium Backup to, well, backup app data but if you sync your account to your new phone, Google Play should start downloading your apps automatically (which is why I also suggest you configure your new phone while on WiFi). Game saves, etc, though, would be lost unless you use an app like Titanium.

natefish

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site

You have a bevvy of options! Cloud storage, Bluetooth (SLOOOOW!), Android Beam (which in the S5 should be called S-Beam), WiFi Direct, or transfer everything to your PC and then to your new phone. The last two options should be the fastest, most straight forward.

As for apps, you can use apps like Titanium Backup to, well, backup app data but if you sync your account to your new phone, Google Play should start downloading your apps automatically (which is why I also suggest you configure your new phone while on WiFi). Game saves, etc, though, would be lost unless you use an app like Titanium.

Titanium Backup won't work since you can't root the S5 yet. Probably just have to let Google restore all your apps, which it will do once you sign in on a new device.

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I always advice against app backups... It's always better to let the system re-install everything again instead of carrying system files from another phone that might just mess things up underneath. App data (like game saves), though, that's different. But really, in this day and age, where people go through phones like they're socks or own more than one device, if a game doesn't support cloud syncing, it's not worth my money (lazy devs! Google Play Games offers the service for crying out loud!).

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

I always advice against app backups... It's always better to let the system re-install everything again instead of carrying system files from another phone that might just mess things up underneath. .

I honestly haven't looked but MyBackUp Pro backs up the installation files as far as I recall so I don't see much of a difference. However, I don't use it much anymore because when I switch phones, I like to start new rather than assume that I will use the same apps. The only ones I need (SwiftKey, Facebook, LinkedIn) are easy enough to download.

To the OP, since its been years since I haven't had an SD card to do what you are asking, I'm not 100% sure, but I've had good experience with Google Drive and OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive). Plus the pics are then available on your computer. Also, you could try this...a friend said it works great. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phototransfer Seems to be dependent on quality of your network, though.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
If you use Google+, you could use auto upload. Go to Google+ App>settings>Back Up All. I love the auto upload feature. I have all my pics from all my devices in one place.

Analyss14

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

I always advice against app backups... It's always better to let the system re-install everything again instead of carrying system files from another phone that might just mess things up underneath. App data (like game saves), though, that's different. But really, in this day and age, where people go through phones like they're socks or own more than one device, if a game doesn't support cloud syncing, it's not worth my money (lazy devs! Google Play Games offers the service for crying out loud!).

Correct me if I am wrong, I haven't used Google backup in a while, but when you allow Google to restore you apps, doesn't it just re-install everything in you 'My Apps' section? Everything? I remember trying to restore from Google for the first time on my Nexus 7 and by the time it finished I had apps that I hand't used in years but refused to delete from my apps list to help me keep track of the apps I've bought. If this is still the case (and I am guessing it is because Google is slow to implement change), then I wouldn't recommend it. OP, You're better off re-installing everything yourself, especially now that Google has enabled batch install. It'll save you the hassle of having to uninstall all the unwanted apps.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Oh, no, you're right! What I meant was that I advice against backing up APP DATA from one device and restoring onto another (with apps such as Titanium). Using Google the apps are automatically re-installed but, as you say, starting from scratch. It's just saving you the hassle of individually installing each app, but it's still re-downloading everything and re-installing everything from zero. Using backup apps to restore app data, such as game saves, might cause (and usually does) issues and glitches.

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Apparently the GS5 has an actually functional and effective app called Smart Switch that should make it very easy to transfer data. The Next Web had a very favorable overview of Smart Switch in their review of the GS5 and I think it might get the job done for you.

Surprising that Samsung has not given more attention to this app.

Posted via Android Central App

Rlin5741

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Helium, an app on the app store, has a non-root app data backup and restore function. If you are not rooted, it requires that you use your computer however.

Seeker4

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
With all the marketing Samsung I can't believe people don't use this more. It's called Samsung Smart Switch. It works with existing Android phones and even the iPhone.
This overhyped tool appears to be very restricted about what devices it will work with. It is not compatible with the Nexus 7 tablet, for example, and I would have liked to transfer data from my tablet to the new phone.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I tried to do that, but it isn't compatible with the Bionic apparently.

This overhyped tool appears to be very restricted about what devices it will work with. It is not compatible with the Nexus 7 tablet, for example, and I would have liked to transfer data from my tablet to the new phone.

That stinks. I know some users who were successful with it coming from an iPhone. Seems like Android <-> Android would be easier, but I guess not.

I do hope in the future Google can get a handle on the backup/restore situation like Apple does.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781