Galaxy S5 on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint lacking Download Booster feature

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
re: Just as I Suspected - WiFi Booster Absent on AT&T Galaxy S5

This is what I get with Sprint in NYC taken just now........

Screenshot_2014-04-09-16-21-05[1].png

....and when I have LTE available, its either spotty or not much faster.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Los Angeles. And I average 18mbps. Full LTE bars.

Posted via Android Central App

Sadly this isn't the case for most... the case for most is really horrible service.

If Sprint could even get this out to majority of their coverage area they would be in a WAY better place.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

biggdogg9

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Sprint?!?! Data service?!?! I'm sorry man but I'm finding this hard to believe, lol! My data service with Sprint here in NYC is just tremendously slow and unreliable. Perhaps you live in a less populated area?!

Nyc us using the old Nextel towers so u should have better 4g

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Los Angeles. And I average 18mbps. Full LTE bars.

I also live in LA county. My friends with Sprint get anywhere from 1-3 MBPs down on LTE. 3G gets them 0.5 down :(

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

rahxephon

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site

It's missing from the AT&T version of the s5
AT&T’s Galaxy S5 comes without Download Booster feature | SamMobile

That sucks, can't wait to see AT&T try to excuse this one. It's been mentioned in most previews of the phone that I've seen so a lot of people are about to be disappointed.

Personally I wasn't going to use it anyways. I don't really download large files other than apps. Wifi at home is plenty fast for that already.

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

Sprint?!?! Data service?!?! I'm sorry man but I'm finding this hard to believe, lol! My data service with Sprint here in NYC is just tremendously slow and unreliable. Perhaps you live in a less populated area?!

In my area (Southern New Jersey), Sprint gives my wife's Galaxy S4 around 8Mbps Down and 4Mbps Up, according to Speedtest.net app.

Our WIFI at home is around 25Mbps Down, 10Mbps Up.

So with the Download Booster, we'd have like a combined 33Mbps Down. (WIFI + LTE)

Can't complain about that! (Hugs Unlimited Data Plan)

AT&T and Verizon most likely WONT add it by default because people will accidentally go over their Data Plan Caps and clog up their customer service phone lines with demands for refunds and credits.

D-Booster CLEARLY benefits people on Unlimited Plans (T-Mobile, Sprint) - in the US anyway. It'll take some strain off the networks because people will have downloaded their stuff faster from the dual-connections, as opposed to just the 4G by itself.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

If they enabled the wifi booster, how many novice users would go over their data limits?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

If they enabled the wifi booster, how many novice users would go over their data limits?

I believe it is off by default so them turning it on is their fault.

If it's on by default though.. Then yes that would be bad.

madkoda12

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Download Booster disables on T-Mobile too...

well according to that article samsung told him it would be enabled with an update at launch, that could mean friday for sure or could mean a little after launch date. Could just b samsung has to ensure the booster works well with each carriers specific bands/frequencies and what not.

*EDIT*

Also very very glad to hear that the tmobile version comes with 11.5gb of usable space, that's way more then the S4 and more acceptable.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: Just as I Suspected - WiFi Booster Absent on AT&T Galaxy S5

I believe it is off by default so them turning it on is their fault.

If it's on by default though.. Then yes that would be bad.

If they enable the option in an update, just watch how many posts are here about people going over their data.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

If they enable the option in an update, just watch how many posts are here about people going over their data.

Yeah but if they purposely go enable the feature.. Then use it. That is their fault 100 percent.

It's no different than someone calling the UK from the US then wondering why they have international charges on their phone bill.

IAmCashmere_D

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
AT&T has blocked the download booster feature

So I just got my s5 today, I see that AT&T has blocked the download booster feature. Smmfh.

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Download booster disabled

I'm getting my Sprint S5 tonight at BB - I'll check back in and let you guys know for sure in about 3 hours.

I can understand AT&T and Verizon not having it. But Sprint? Sprint has Unlimited Plans. Why disable it for unlimited users?

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Download booster disabled

I'm getting my Sprint S5 tonight at BB - I'll check back in and let you guys know for sure in about 3 hours.

I can understand AT&T and Verizon not having it. But Sprint? Sprint has Unlimited Plans. Why disable it for unlimited users?

What time does best buy start selling the s5? Or you getting it early cause you preordered it?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

It's a shame these carriers remove features that are actually useful. Oh well, Hopefully they re-add them in a future update.