Galaxy S5 on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint lacking Download Booster feature

Myronmack

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
So I played with the AT&T version of the S5 and notice the download booster setting is missing from the toggle settings, I will be very mad if they took that feature out!

Posted via Android Central App

hardrocker89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
re: Download booster disabled

With carriers having data caps for their customers I can see them disabling the feature so they don't have to work on their network to handle the extra load it would make on it. If I see the download booster in the states at all I'll be surprised.

anon(8702321)

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

With carriers having data caps for their customers I can see them disabling the feature so they don't have to work on their network to handle the extra load it would make on it. If I see the download booster in the states at all I'll be surprised.

They're floor models guys... They don't have all the features.

Myronmack

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site

Do you have a non floor model to prove me wrong with the inclusion of that setting?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Do you have a non floor model to prove me wrong with the inclusion of that setting?

I doubt he would since it isn't released but honestly some features can be disabled on a demo model. I could see them disabling this feature so users aren't using the demo model to use up mobile data and the wifi at the store with tests.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Myronmack

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site

True but a few things I noticed that gives me hope that it's in a final model, the best buy versions of the s5 don't include the finger print toggle switches for obvious reasons you wouldn't want people locking the phone down, the AT&T version does have all the finger print scanner, private mode etc enabled on the floor models which makes me conclude that the booster will not be in the US models.

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

It was on the model I played with at Best Buy. Granted, that's not carrier specific. I don't see why a carrier would disable it as it just combos downloads between WiFi and LTE. It's not like the carriers are losing out. Yes, they price their service based on GB (except Sprint!), but that's to discourage using too much more than it is a profit model.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Sprint and tmobile. Well prob have it. Unlimited data

SlimJ87D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

With Cahinfire rooting the phone already, I'm sure we'll be able to flash a International Rom or at least get any missing features back.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I bet since no sim card is in, some features don't show up unless one is inserted

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

True but a few things I noticed that gives me hope that it's in a final model, the best buy versions of the s5 don't include the finger print toggle switches for obvious reasons you wouldn't want people locking the phone down, the AT&T version does have all the finger print scanner, private mode etc enabled on the floor models which makes me conclude that the booster will not be in the US models.

Well I know for T-Mobile it will be. They show it in the specifications. (see below).

I mean AT&T could remove it I'm sure.. But I couldn't see them removing it from the actual model. Store one would make sense to me since people would be just speed testing it all the time on their network. Sure some may do it once they get the phone.. But then they are paying per GB versus the store model they aren't ;).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1396033346180.jpg
    1396033346180.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 82

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

The GS5 includes new WiFi capabilities (2x2, MIMO) as well as being an LTE Cat 4 device, which means support for carrier aggregation. See this post. The download booster itself allows for simultaneous coordinated download over WiFi and LTE, but the only extra "load" on the carrier networks would be due to users downloading more data as a result. As carriers are beginning to launch CA networks, it would seem counter-productive to disable a feature that adds additional speed on top of that through the use of WiFi. It may still be in testing for use with the CA networks.

That said... AT&T is one of the two major U.S. networks that don't allow for unlimited data, and they make more money as users consume less data. Sprint and T-Mobile perhaps stand to benefit more from promoting use of the feature on their networks. They allow unlimited data, and the feature significantly increases speeds without putting the entire demand on their network.

Fixed the title too. :p

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Download booster disabled

I believe only att s5 supports CA in the states. And att supports a maximum of two 10mhz carriers (10+10). 20x20mhz should be faster even without ca on tmobile at potentially 147mbps .

Verizon 20x20mhz is limited by the backhaul, because it has to support both lte bands, but theoretically, if the backhaul wad upgraded then it should be able to reach similar speeds

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Download booster disabled

I have DL booster on my S4 as well as S5 toggles :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-30-14-42-36.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-30-14-42-36.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_2014-03-30-14-42-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-30-14-42-21.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_2014-03-30-14-42-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-30-14-42-09.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 61