Galaxy S5: Speaker loudness and quality

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I just tested my M8 with a sound reading machine. It maxed out at 85db. Insanely loud. Most other phones I have tested including the Note 3, iphone 5S all max out at 81db. It is also very clear sound on M8, but then the trade off is its length.

What distance was the device from the decibel meter? I believe gsmarena places the device 1m away and bases the readings from that distance. Either way, 2 websites still showed the M7 as having louder speakers which could be due to faulty review devices but either way im still disappointed as HTC claimed a 30% increase and that looks to be a huge lie.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Speaker loudness and quality

As long as the S5 is equal to or louder than the S4 I'll be happy. I have headphones when I want to listen to music and I also invested in a portable bluetooth speaker a while ago.

As long as notifications and ringtones come out clear, ill be fine.

It's not as loud as the S4 but it is sufficiently loud to hear notifications and ringtones.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

It's not as loud as the S4 but it is sufficiently loud to hear notifications and ringtones.

Did you scientifically verify this or are you just going by whats been said in this thread? The S4 Active was quite a bit louder than the regular S4, I dont see why the S5 won't also be louder .

When I played with the S5, the speaker seemed fine to me, basically the same as the S4 but I played with it in a crowded store which wqs fairly loud.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
What distance was the device from the decibel meter? I believe gsmarena places the device 1m away and bases the readings from that distance. Either way, 2 websites still showed the M7 as having louder speakers which could be due to faulty review devices but either way im still disappointed as HTC claimed a 30% increase and that looks to be a huge lie.

I own both the m7 and m8 and can 100% confirm that the m8 speakers are louder. 30% increase is probably dead on. When I first got my phone I showed my girlfriend the difference and it was almost laughable how much louder the m8 was.

I don't care or base my viewpoints on reviews, I test in the real world. It is definitely a fact that the m8 is louder

Posted via Android Central App

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had the opportunity to compare the M7, M8, GS4, GS5, and iPhone 5s all side-by-side. When it comes to the speaker quality and overall loudness, I must say the M8's speakers do not justify it's size. I paid a good chunk of change for the Galaxy S5, even after being offered a free M8. I still took the M8, I'm just selling it to pay for the S5.

How a phone feels in my hand is big for me. I like thin and light, and the "build quality" of the M8 makes it hefty. It's not my style.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I've had the opportunity to compare the M7, M8, GS4, GS5, and iPhone 5s all side-by-side. When it comes to the speaker quality and overall loudness, I must say the M8's speakers do not justify it's size. I paid a good chunk of change for the Galaxy S5, even after being offered a free M8. I still took the M8, I'm just selling it to pay for the S5.

How a phone feels in my hand is big for me. I like thin and light, and the "build quality" of the M8 makes it hefty. It's not my style.

15g, not very noticeable imo.

HTC One m8 - 160g
Samsung Galaxy s5 - 145g

You are entitled to your own opinion but it honestly isn't that much heavier

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
the g2 isn't that much heavier than the s4, but the second you pick it up, yeh it feels much heavier. it's all about weight distribution. a lot of people are saying the m8 is clunkier than the s5.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
the g2 isn't that much heavier than the s4, but the second you pick it up, yeh it feels much heavier. it's all about weight distribution. a lot of people are saying the m8 is clunkier than the s5.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I've actually had some good hands on time with both devices (have a couple of friends that have them) and I couldn't tell a difference in weight. 13g is negligible. You must have some extremely sensitive hands

Also, clunkier and heavier are two totally different things. I personally wouldn't call either device clunky. The m8 to me feels amazing in the hand, nothing "clunky" about it

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I've actually had some good hands on time with both devices (have a couple of friends that have them) and I couldn't tell a difference in weight. 13g is negligible. You must have some extremely sensitive hands

Also, clunkier and heavier are two totally different things. I personally wouldn't call either device clunky. The m8 to me feels amazing in the hand, nothing "clunky" about it

lol yes, my super calloused musicians hands are extremely sensitive. :confused: /s

the point is weight distribution, as i already alluded to. the s4 was an even weighted phone that felt good no matter what. it was light. the G2 isn't evenly weighted, as it can go top to mid heavy, and there's hardly a weight difference.

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

The M8 is definitely clunky. It's longer, thicker, and heavier than the GS5. Those are just facts. That doesn't mean it isn't a good phone, but its size isn't justified by usable screen space, and the speakers aren't that much better.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The M8 is definitely clunky. It's longer, thicker, and heavier than the GS5. Those are just facts. That doesn't mean it isn't a good phone, but its size isn't justified by usable screen space, and the speakers aren't that much better.

But its metal, so all the ergonomic issues are immediately forgotten by tech sites and consumers.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I wasn't comparing the m8 to the s5, I was comparing to s4 and LG g2. The size is because of the speakers, can't have everything, it's a trade-off. The gs5 is 15g lighter, hardly a big difference. It is heavier, not arguing that but it's not that big of a deal, to me at least. Also, yes the speakers are way better, I've compared

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

I could see it bothering someone if holding it for long periods of time on max volume without a case.

What about the phone vibrating along with the music? My s3 still does that and it annoys the heck out of me. I heard it had to do with a haptic feedback option that I can't access anymore. Please tell me that's not also going to be an S5 issue too!

why? think of it as a subwoofer ;)

Someone on this site said they did...come to think of it it's probably not true

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 via Tapatalk

select ATT stores have it...the larger ones

Not to mention there is speculation Samsung is working on a "Prime" or "F" class device. This may have me rethink keeping the M8 and getting the "premium" device when released. Something to think about.

samsung VP said there is no truth to those rumors, so you could be waiting forever
If I had the will power to wait, I would but I am coming off of a two year period of an iPhone 4S and am so done with it. I don't think I could stomach it for an undetermined amount of time waiting. I was never really pleased with my iPhone's speaker capabilities, which is why I am hesitant to give up the M8. I am totally going to do a comparison today at BestBuy between the S5 and my M8. Crossing my fingers that it's not a gigantic difference, but my gut tells me that nothing will compare to the front facing, dual speakers of the M8...

you must be excited to get rid of that iCrap!

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't comparing the m8 to the s5, I was comparing to s4 and LG g2. The size is because of the speakers, can't have everything, it's a trade-off. The gs5 is 15g lighter, hardly a big difference. It is heavier, not arguing that but it's not that big of a deal, to me at least. Also, yes the speakers are way better, I've compared

Oh, comparing them to the G2 and the GS4... you mean, like this?

XmhP2uO.png

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Is there any definitive word on the loudness of the speakers and the quality? The first Russian review said the speakers were very quiet and not loud because of the ip67 certification, which makes sense because this is the same case regarding the sony z1 phones. Newer reviews on YouTube states that the phones speakers are very loud, which is opposite of the first review. Anyone had first hand experience at all with a demo unit at all?

I have the phone on reserve for the launch, as long as the speakers are as loud as the s4 or the note 3, then that should be fine. If it's really low because of the ip67 rating then that's a deal breaker and I'll have to go with the m8. Mainly because of my work environment, I need a phone with loud speakers

I myself found the max volume on my S4 Active to be pretty low. I hope it's a but improved. Not a deal break by a long shot but still.

Had a HTC One for a short bit and my god that Boomsound feature is awesome!

keri2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
eyecon82: I cannot wait to get rid of my iCrap (that's exactly how I feel about it)

Anyone know if you can boost loudness if the phone is rooted?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
The speaker on the S4 and S5 are plenty loud, but they don't sound as crisp or as clear as the M7 or M8. That said, people who want loud, clear sound out of their phones usually buy Bluetooth speakers that are better than the M8. Most everyone else uses headphones. It's an advantage for the M8, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not exactly a game changer and I'm sure most people don't care.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX