WiFi Tether Option for S5?

RFclipse

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I've spent more time than my wife would like reading reviews and debating whether my next device will be the S5 or HTC One M8. After over four years with HTC devices (Incredible followed by Rezound), I'm planning to make the move to Samsung. The main selling points for me are camera, removable battery, and water resistance. Why? I've got kids that I take a lot of pictures of (and my DSLR is not nearly as convenient for everyday use). Taking pictures and videos drains the battery on any device quickly. Those kids I mentioned will ultimately end up spilling some form of liquid on my phone when I'm not taking pictures of them...

On to the main purpose for this post. I currently have my Rezound rooted and I'm using WiFi Tether since Foxfi doesn't work with the Rezound. I've still got unlimited data on Verizon, which I will keep when I upgrade to the S5, and I'm wondering whether there will be any tether option that will allow me to take advantage of that unlimited data. I'm assuming that the device will quickly be "rootable", but does WiFi tether require an unlocked bootloader (I can't remember)?

I've come to rely on tether capability, especially when I'm on the road, and want to make sure that some option will exist for this that doesn't involve paying Verizon more $$. PDAnet with USB connection would also be fine, but from what I've heard this will not work on Verizon with an unlimited data plan. Thoughts or suggestions?

RFclipse

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have any insight on this one? Will I be able to tether with this device (possibly by rooting) or does KitKat eliminate my ability to tether even if rooted? Keep in mind that I'm on Verizon with a grandfathered unlimited data plan, so basic tether options (foxfi / pdanet) are out.

phatboy29m

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
The mobile hotspot feature is now free with the "share" plans Verizon offers, so there's really no need for a tethering option.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I know on my LG G2 you have to be rooted to get around paying to make it a hotspot. I don't want to root etc.. so I bit the bullet and paid Verizon to use it has a hotspot. It cost $30 extra but you get to use your unlimited data with it. So basically I am paying $60 a month for unlimited data with hotspot, seems like a lot but right now I am at 44.85 GB 12 days left on my billing cycle. So for me it is worth it.

97TAWS6

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I had unlimited plan with ATT and was only using 3GB/month so we consolidated my family's mobile plan to ATT shared 10GB plan. Unlimited calling, text and best of all we can now use mobile hotspot on our Samsung phones without rooting :) Plus we saved $20/month.

RFclipse

May 27, 2013
Visit site
From what I've read, I believe that I'll be able to tether with my unlimited plan once my phone is rooted. I don't believe that a root solution is available yet for the Verizon model (G900V), but please let me know if anyone is aware of one.

Also, I know it sucks to pay more than the $30 we're already paying for data, but I found out from Verizon yesterday that the hotspot plan can be prorated and used as needed. What this means is that I can enable the feature any time I want using the My Verizon Mobile app, then disable when I'm done and only pay for the days it was active. For me, this is a reasonable solution until I gain root because I really only need it 5-6 days per month while traveling (which means $5-6 extra per month). I'm willing to fork that over for the convenience, but I realize it's the principal for many of you, not the money :).

I have hotspot enabled right now and I'm currently paying Big Red an extra $0.000694 per minute for the convenience. I'm furious, but the internet access on my computer is helping distract me :)

Color Deaf

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Coming from a person in phone sales, you WILL lose your unlimited data if you choose to upgrade. The carrier system (eROES) automatically removes it when processing an upgrade. It doesn't matter if you're grandfathered in previously, you'll lose it upon your next upgrade. You can get around this buy purchasing the device for full price, but I'm not sure if you'd be willing to drop ~$650 on a new phone.

To answer some of your questions, wifi tethering just requires a root, not necessarily an unlocked bootloader. Right now, wifi tethering does not work on FoxFi with my S5. I'm fairly certain that the USB and bluetooth modes will work, but I've not tried (I had the same issue with the S4).

rahxephon

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Coming from a person in phone sales, you WILL lose your unlimited data if you choose to upgrade. The carrier system (eROES) automatically removes it when processing an upgrade. It doesn't matter if you're grandfathered in previously, you'll lose it upon your next upgrade. You can get around this buy purchasing the device for full price, but I'm not sure if you'd be willing to drop ~$650 on a new phone.

I always assumed that I was able to keep my so-called unlimited data plan all these years with AT&T. (throttled connection after 3 gigs limit is reached) Have had multiple smartphones.

Color Deaf

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I always assumed that I was able to keep my so-called unlimited data plan all these years with AT&T. (throttled connection after 3 gigs limit is reached) Have had multiple smartphones.

AT&T is different, they allow unlimited plans with throttling, while Verizon will force you to change your plan if you want to upgrade. As far as I know, Verizon does not throttle customers with unlimited data (I haven't been, or if I have been it's not noticeable).

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
AT&T is different, they allow unlimited plans with throttling, while Verizon will force you to change your plan if you want to upgrade. As far as I know, Verizon does not throttle customers with unlimited data (I haven't been, or if I have been it's not noticeable).

At almost 54 GB this month on Verizon and you are right, no throttle.
upenu9y4.jpg

RFclipse

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Coming from a person in phone sales, you WILL lose your unlimited data if you choose to upgrade. The carrier system (eROES) automatically removes it when processing an upgrade. It doesn't matter if you're grandfathered in previously, you'll lose it upon your next upgrade.

There is a work-around for this (at least for Verizon). If you're on a family share plan, it's possible for you to keep your unlimited data on all but one line while taking advantage of the promotional upgrade pricing. Places like Costco can make this happen by transferring any upgrade you'd like to use over to that one line that's not unlimited. After the purchase, the phone can be re-assigned to any line on your plan, and that line will keep it's unlimited data. I just did it for my new S5. My wife is almost always on WiFi, so 2GB is perfectly fine for her. I used her line to process my upgrade, and now I've still got unlimited data on my line and a shiny new S5 that cost $112 out the door (Costco also had a $100 rebate).

quartermeter

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Not if you go over 10GB/month you won't save money. I just bought 2 S5's on the net to keep my Verizon UDP so I'm wanting to drop my home internet and use the S5 on my home laptop. Just hated to loose the UDP.

So YES how can we tether the S5?

QuadForce

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I am able to use foxfi with my s5 and keep my udp- this was actually one of the reasons I got the s5as it is the only phone that works with foxfi currently.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
bump - i would like to know the answer to this, especially for verizon.

If you are on Verizon UDP like the op then you can pay an additional $30 for unlimited hotspot.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

QuadForce

May 8, 2013
Visit site
If you are on Verizon UDP like the op then you can pay an additional $30 for unlimited hotspot.

Why pay more for the same data you already pay for?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Why pay more for the same data you already pay for?

Because Verizon's unlimited data terms explicitly doesn't allow hotspot.

yqa5ypem.jpg