Galaxy S5 vs HTC One (M8)

cmhsam

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I played around with both this morning at BB. I am curios as to why anyone would chose the M8 over the S5? I honestly dont see how HTC did much to challenge Samsung outside of reported battery life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: SG5 vs M8

It seems the most hype about the M8 is the appearance and that it's made out of metal... not plastic.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

It's nice to look at and hold if you don't put a case on it and BoomSound is nice if speakers on a phone are your kind of thing.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

The market is quite diverse, I hope there is enough space for both Sammy and HTC, I want more competitions.

To Topic, M8's strength is metal construction, boom sound. There is market for that.

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

The camera was the dealbreaker for me.

I love everything about the M8 except that 4MP camera. I've seen enough side-by-side comparisons with the S5's 16MP camera to tell me that the M8 just doesn't have enough pixels to compete and the S5 actually has a lot more built-in camera editing features, minus the focused-depth effect on the M8, which is overrated.

S5 all the way. HTC shoulda put an 8MP camera in that phone. I would have bought it then. 4MP is pathetic. AND the M8 has no Image Stabilization? Seriously?

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

I played around with both this morning at BB. I am curios as to why anyone would chose the M8 over the S5? I honestly dont see how HTC did much to challenge Samsung outside of reported battery life.

I thought it was a nice phone. But sense still looks like it's on every inch of the os and doesn't add anything to the experience (my opinion). I do like the build of the phone though. In the end the sg5 met my needs better. I agree with @clevin. I hope they can coexist so that innovation continues.

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site

S5 with Nova Launcher and 64gb SD card all the way. Camera, removable battery, grey scale screen when needed. I use a case so I really don't mind the plastic and this will be my 3rd Samsung.

Posted via Android Central App

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Boomsound is sweet but I listen through headphones and almost never through the speakers. So again S5 for me.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

I handled both and while the M8 did feel nice I could not get over the wasted space with the black logo bar. I know that sounds petty but if you are going to have that bar there then put hard buttons there as to not take up screen space. yeah the buttons may go away in video but when you are doing things like texting or internet it is there. that's a big deal IMO. The screen essentially is not that big due to that. Also I did not like how tall and skinny it was.

I chose the S5 for my next phone and I am coming from a decent amount of time with HTC phones: Mogal -> TouchPro -> Evo 3D. I love the build quality and aesthetics of their phones but ultimately I chose function over form. Not to say the S5 is ugly by any means. It looks and feels MUCH better in person. I put cases on my phones so the metal build will mean nothing to me 99% of the time.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

mgloss

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

I also put hands on both. Glad I did! Galaxy 5 all the way!

mgloss

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

Exactly, I don't understand why even that got so much hype. I meant it's metal, it'll scratch, dent, scrape. Just ew.

The m 8 is very nice externally. With that said, and all the complaints about the 5 being plastic, it was not bad! It didn't feel cheap or plasticy at all. Seemed like a solid device to me!

cmhsam

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

I held the m8 today and seemed too bulky compared to the s5. S5 seemed to feel better in hand. I think the old HTC one was better in hand vs the new m8

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I like the build materials of the M8 a lot but I think the S5, even with its Band-Aid texture and plasticy plastic has more to offer.

Sent from my ME312LL/A 🔘

vamp464

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

I find the M8 appealing because of the looks, speakers, external SD slot and the opportunity to own a top phone that won't be in everyone else's hands. My heart says M8 but my brain says S5, lol.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I find the M8 appealing because of the looks, speakers, external SD slot and the opportunity to own a top phone that won't be in everyone else's hands. My heart says M8 but my brain says S5, lol.

In 6 months which do you think you'd be more happy with and why?

Sent from my MF003LL/A 🔘