Will the S5 still have the HDMI output?

Samuri65

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if I missed this already... but not really finding anything on it.

I have the S3, very happy with it, but SO ready to get the S5, (contract was not up when the S4 came out).
I like to watch movies using the HDMI output adapter.
Will the S5 have this capability as well?

Thanks -

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I was actually wondering this myself the other day. Nothing I've read or seen has said that it will have HDMI output (though I haven't been looking for it specifically), but check out the photo below. It definitely looks--to my non-expert eye--like there are two ports under that cover. Maybe one is the USB 3.0 and the other is HDMI?

EDIT: I guess Google would have been helpful before trying to answer. This site (Samsung Galaxy S5 specifications, features and comparison) says it doesn't have HDMI, but has MHL (which might be the other port?). I have never heard of MHL before, but here's the Wikipedia page on it--Mobile High-Definition Link - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I'm honestly too tired to read through all that right now; I'll leave it to someone who is wiser and/or more ambitious than I am to explain it.

gsmarena_023.jpg

Last edited:

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You will have to use an MHL adapter... I use it on my S4 and works great... Pretty much u connect one end of the the MHL adapter to the phone and the other end to the HDMI cable (the MHL adapter has an HDMI port)... U can then connect the HDMI cable to any HDTV and use ur phone on the TV

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 via Tapatalk

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I was actually wondering this myself the other day. Nothing I've read or seen has said that it will have HDMI output (though I haven't been looking for it specifically), but check out the photo below. It definitely looks--to my non-expert eye--like there are two ports under that cover. Maybe one is the USB 3.0 and the other is HDMI?

EDIT: I guess Google would have been helpful before trying to answer. This site (Samsung Galaxy S5 specifications, features and comparison) says it doesn't have HDMI, but has MHL (which might be the other port?). I have never heard of MHL before, but here's the Wikipedia page on it--Mobile High-Definition Link - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I'm honestly too tired to read through all that right now; I'll leave it to someone who is wiser and/or more ambitious than I am to e

[TTACH=CONFIG]110522[/ATTACH]

The port in this picture I micro USB 3.0. It is backwards compatible with micro USB 2.0. It looks like two ports because you can plug 3.0 or 2.0 in.

You will prob still need nerd an MHL adapter.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I didn't realize two ports would be required for 2.0 backwards compatibility. Why couldn't the new 3.0 plug just have the same physical specs as the 2.0 one and share the same port (like with full size 3.0 ports on computers)?

Posted via Android Central App

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I didn't realize two ports would be required for 2.0 backwards compatibility. Why couldn't the new 3.0 plug just have the same physical specs as the 2.0 one and share the same port (like with full size 3.0 ports on computers)?

Posted via Android Central App

The USB 3.0 is one port that looks like two. There is still only one port. It looks like that so you can plug either cord in. They prob needed more contact spots for 3.0 making it a little bigger.

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
OK, so incredibly dumb question, then. Does it charge with a micro-USB charger? Since I have, like, 20 of those, I assume not. :-\

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
OK, so incredibly dumb question, then. Does it charge with a micro-USB charger? Since I have, like, 20 of those, I assume not. :-\

Yes you can use existing micro USB cable. Keep in mind that 2amp chargers will charge the S5 at the optimum rate. Most old chargers will only chard at 1amp.

Bryan Edwards1

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I bought my S5 today and it does have the HDMI. The seller at the AT&T store mentioned it to me and was very very helpful. One of the featured I like is the fingerprint swipe to unlock the phone. I found that feature by accident. lol as well as a few more features. You'll love this phone. I also recommend getting the Otterbox phone protector with it. It has a built in screen protector too. Happy fingerprint scanning...:)

Bryan in Texas

BobBuilder10

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes the S5 does support mhl hdmi.
But is the same adapter based type since the S2 came out.
The weird port arrangement is to support usb3.0 connection for up to 5gbit data transfer not a direct video connection as many (including myself) were surmising.
Cables can be found at Samsung or other generic suppliers. USB A to micro USB B connector.