Galaxy S5: Anyone getting the phone at Costco?

SlimJ87D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone getting the phone at Costco? And do you guys know when they will get the device?

Lastly, if you guys aren't getting it at Costco, i recommend you do.
-Sales tax on wholesale price, not the full price of device.
-3 month exchange period, no questions asked.
-extra stuff like a screen protector, case, car charger + AC charger, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

captfbgnet

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone getting the phone at Costco?

Not sure, but I think the phone CAN NOT be bought outright at full price. A service plan has to be purchased also. This prevents one from staying with their current phone plan (ie, 450 minutes, all data) and just swapping out the old phone for the new. On the other hand, if changing plans is ok, Costco's price can't be beat. Just my $.02 worth

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

I have purchased phones from Costco before. If you plan on doing Next you won't be able to, you can only do standard 2-year upgrades at the booths in the store. Also if you check the Costco website they are showing the S5 is shipping the week after release. I wouldn't bank on the phone being available on release day at Costco..

Edited to add: If you are on T-Mobile you can do the EIP at Costco. The great thing is you don't have to pay any tax. I walked out with a Note 3 for $0, no tax no anything at the time of sale and an EIP on T-Mo.

SlimJ87D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

I'm with AT&T and I have available upgrades. So I'll be using them to get the phone.

MsKate

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

I preordered my phone through Costco on Tuesday. I have not heard anything yet about shipping.

Meanwhile, my HTC Rezound is making 2 calls at once, if it decides to put a call through at all. Called my mother and my wife at the same time earlier, when I only meant to call my wife. So ready to be DONE with this phone.

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

I preordered my phone through Costco on Tuesday. I have not heard anything yet about shipping.

Meanwhile, my HTC Rezound is making 2 calls at once, if it decides to put a call through at all. Called my mother and my wife at the same time earlier, when I only meant to call my wife. So ready to be DONE with this phone.

It looks like Costco is processing S5 orders around 4/14 - 4/18 depending on your carrier.

MsKate

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

It looks like Costco is processing S5 orders around 4/14 - 4/18 depending on your carrier.
Yeah, I just got an email from Costco regarding processing date. Wondering if I should bother going to the store tomorrow or go straight to VZW.

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

I am a certified Costco fanboy, yet I NEVER buy smartphones at Costco.

(1) the prices is not always cheaper... even when it is, the Best Buy down the road ALWAYS matches it Also, if you registered on Best Buy website, you get $50 gift card that can be applied to the same purchase. For example, if Best Buy matches Costco's $99 pricing, you only have to pay $49. ($99 - $50)

(2) 90-day exchange/return is nice, but I rarely buy phones unless I'm sure I want it. Usually playing with the phone for as long as I wan in a Verizon corporate store first. If something goes wrong, Verizon will swap it out free of charge. in the S5's case, during the first 90 days, it's mostly like a new phone, not a CLNR

(3) the "free" accessories that Costco give you are always no-name, non-OEM, semi-crappy. (like the ones you buy from Chinese sellers on eBay)

For everything else, buy at Costco. I have not bought groceries anywhere except Costco for the last 9 years. I did start by saying that I'm certified Costco fanboy, right? :D

Last edited:

jeffrich21

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I plan on getting mine from Costco tomorrow. Sales person I've spoken says she should have them tomorrow. I am calling her at 9am tomorrow to make sure before I head to the store.

Posted via Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Not sure, but I think the phone CAN NOT be bought outright at full price. A service plan has to be purchased also. This prevents one from staying with their current phone plan (ie, 450 minutes, all data) and just swapping out the old phone for the new. On the other hand, if changing plans is ok, Costco's price can't be beat. Just my $.02 worth

Correct. It think only for new lines and renewals I thought. Did not know about having to change the plan.

Sent from my Moto X!

MsKate

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

Ok, so this is interesting. I just checked my Costco order, and it's gone down from $189 to $99 without notice to me. The price on the website is still $189, but my order shows $99 now.
CostcoOrder.png
Still wondering if I want to wait a few more days or just cancel this one and go into the store. I could also take a printout of my order in to Costco (or maybe Best Buy?) and see if they'll price match.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Ok, so this is interesting. I just checked my Costco order, and it's gone down from $189 to $99 without notice to me. The price on the website is still $189, but my order shows $99 now.
View attachment 111833
Still wondering if I want to wait a few more days or just cancel this one and go into the store. I could also take a printout of my order in to Costco (or maybe Best Buy?) and see if they'll price match.

That's an awesome price!!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

View attachment 111833

Nice! I used Costco to renew my contract for a blackberry bold 9700 once and it never used my upgrade. I tried to tell them about it and he just winked and said Merry Christmas...used the upgrade a few months later to get the iPhone 4 but with antenna gate, I return it for a Captivate, my first android!

MsKate

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

Nice! I used Costco to renew my contract for a blackberry bold 9700 once and it never used my upgrade. I tried to tell them about it and he just winked and said Merry Christmas...used the upgrade a few months later to get the iPhone 4 but with antenna gate, I return it for a Captivate, my first android!
So now the question is, do I wait until next week? I've waited this long, what's a couple days? Or should I go to Costco and see if they will match their own price?

Eion

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

No Costco around me, just Sams Club, but they are basically the same. Does Costo do a warranty program like Sams does? Squaretrade or whatever it's called.

SlimJ87D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

I am a certified Costco fanboy, yet I NEVER buy smartphones at Costco.

(1) the prices is not always cheaper... even when it is, the Best Buy down the road ALWAYS matches it Also, if you registered on Best Buy website, you get $50 gift card that can be applied to the same purchase. For example, if Best Buy matches Costco's $99 pricing, you only have to pay $49. ($99 - $50)

(2) 90-day exchange/return is nice, but I rarely buy phones unless I'm sure I want it. Usually playing with the phone for as long as I wan in a Verizon corporate store first. If something goes wrong, Verizon will swap it out free of charge. in the S5's case, during the first 90 days, it's mostly like a new phone, not a CLNR

(3) the "free" accessories that Costco give you are always no-name, non-OEM, semi-crappy. (like the ones you buy from Chinese sellers on eBay)

For everything else, buy at Costco. I have not bought groceries anywhere except Costco for the last 9 years. I did start by saying that I'm certified Costco fanboy, right? :D

These are subjective reasons.
1. At Costco, you are taxed at the wholesale price, not the full price of the phone. Also, they waive the upgrade fee, which I don’t think Best Buy does.

2. 90 Exchange and return are still better than 30 days. If anything is wrong with the device or a if you want to exchange it for another device, you get 3 months total. On top of that, you still get the ATT and Verizon warranties, so you can go into those stores to swap them out also. Also, Costco has NO RESTOCKING FEES.

3. This isn’t a reason not to go to Costco really. You’re complaining about items that are free. I don’t need a $50 car charger, and the car charger they give doubles as a AC adapter. Also, the accessories are not no names, they’re from Mobi.
4. Costco has a Squaretrade warranty deal, $100 with $25 deductibles. This is about half the price of a normal square trade warranty. BB doesn’t have as good of a deal does it?

Again, I think your reasons are subjective. So far Costco will save me $30 from taxes and $36 from waiving the upgrade fee, that's cash in my pocket and not a gift card, plus I get a bunch of free stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

No Costco around me, just Sams Club, but they are basically the same. Does Costo do a warranty program like Sams does? Squaretrade or whatever it's called.

Yes they do. I also called Costco, and a bunch of SGS5s came in store tonight.

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

These are subjective reasons.
1. At Costco, you are taxed at the wholesale price, not the full price of the phone. Also, they waive the upgrade fee, which I don’t think Best Buy does.

2. 90 Exchange and return are still better than 30 days. If anything is wrong with the device or a if you want to exchange it for another device, you get 3 months total. On top of that, you still get the ATT and Verizon warranties, so you can go into those stores to swap them out also. Also, Costco has NO RESTOCKING FEES.

3. This isn’t a reason not to go to Costco really. You’re complaining about items that are free. I don’t need a $50 car charger, and the car charger they give doubles as a AC adapter. Also, the accessories are not no names, they’re from Mobi.
4. Costco has a Squaretrade warranty deal, $100 with $25 deductibles. This is about half the price of a normal square trade warranty. BB doesn’t have as good of a deal does it?

Again, I think your reasons are subjective. So far Costco will save me $30 from taxes and $36 from waiving the upgrade fee, that's cash in my pocket and not a gift card, plus I get a bunch of free stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes they do. I also called Costco, and a bunch of SGS5s came in store tonight.

I'm not subjective right now.. having just opened a gallon-size jar of pickles that I bought at Costco last night.

SlimJ87D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

I'm not subjective right now.. having just opened a gallon-size jar of pickles that I bought at Costco last night.

Not sure if you understand the word subjective. It means that your reasons are reasons that pertain to you but maybe not others.

If Best Buy had $100 off, a better warranty plan and exchange period rate, then there's no argument there. Not subjective. Enjoy your pickles.

gdtflp200

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

Hi. i was really considering getting the phone through costco for all the reasons you just mentioned. But i had one concern. When i spoke to the costco sales associate over the phone they told me they do not waive the 30 dollar verizon upgrade fee. Is this true?
Thanks for the help :)

SlimJ87D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Hi. i was really considering getting the phone through costco for all the reasons you just mentioned. But i had one concern. When i spoke to the costco sales associate over the phone they told me they do not waive the 30 dollar verizon upgrade fee. Is this true?
Thanks for the help :)

I'm with att and they waived it last time. I was credited 36 on my bill later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674