Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

hockey9592

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a Razr Maxx (5.15 x 2.71). I am due for an upgrade in August on Verizon. I've been examining possible options and have narrowed my search down to the the HTC One M8 (5.76 x 2.78), Samsung Galaxy S5 (5.59 x 2.85), and the Sony Xperia Z2 (5.78 x 2.89) if it even comes to the US. I am pretty much sold on the Samsung Galaxy S5 but am worried, as with all new Android phones, that it is too big! I have friends with an LG G2 (5.45 x 2.79) and HTC DNA (5.55 x 2.78) and think these pones look huge compared to my Razr Maxx.

Bigger phone = better display + more space for better hardware. But I like to keep my Razr Maxx in my pants pocket while I work sitting in an office. Honestly, does anyone have a hard time storing the bigger phones in their pocket? And is it easier or harder to text/talk with a bigger phone? Ergonomics & comfort will play a big role in my decision on which Android phone I get.

cmhsam

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
M8 is bigger than s5. Coming from the iPhone 5s and using a nexus 5 for the past few months I can't go back to the phone with display less than 5". Tried using my kids ip5 last week and it felt small. Give it a few days and you won't want to go smaller

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming from a RAZR maxx too and had the exact same concerns. Though I obviously don't have any experience with the S5 yet, the case I ordered has arrived. It's one of the really thin, light ones that matches the profile of the phone so I feel like it's a decent approximation. After playing around with it a little (taking it in and out of my pocket, etc.), my concerns about the size are mostly assuaged. It is bigger, yes. But I don't think I'll have too much trouble adjusting. Can't speak to texting/talking/using the phone of course.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I have a Razr Maxx (5.15 x 2.71). I am due for an upgrade in August on Verizon. I've been examining possible options and have narrowed my search down to the the HTC One M8 (5.76 x 2.78), Samsung Galaxy S5 (5.59 x 2.85), and the Sony Xperia Z2 (5.78 x 2.89) if it even comes to the US. I am pretty much sold on the Samsung Galaxy S5 but am worried, as with all new Android phones, that it is too big! I have friends with an LG G2 (5.45 x 2.79) and HTC DNA (5.55 x 2.78) and think these pones look huge compared to my Razr Maxx.

Bigger phone = better display + more space for better hardware. But I like to keep my Razr Maxx in my pants pocket while I work sitting in an office. Honestly, does anyone have a hard time storing the bigger phones in their pocket? And is it easier or harder to text/talk with a bigger phone? Ergonomics & comfort will play a big role in my decision on which Android phone I get.

No.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

Nope.

Posted via Android Central App

Dionysusfan

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
if your not upgrading till august more things may be out by then or coming soon, the motoX for instance is smaller so it's next version will probably be the small form factor and as good or better as the three phones your listing now,

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 111350

Sent from my Galaxy S4 White - using Tapatalk

I love those cases! I have one on my Note 3. :)

Also, on topic, the S5 size isn't too big. I find the Note 3 to be a bit big at times and would maybe prefer an S5. However, the S-Pen is useful on certain websites so its difficult for me to let it go.

Although... The Electric Blue Spigen Neo Hybrid case makes me want to switch. :D

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's too big for me. But it seems the majority enjoy it.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
No, the S5 is most definitely not too big. It is simply a momentary juxtaposition of your mind's impression based on past experience. When I got my first HTC EVO, it seems huge (and it was) because I was coming from Blackberry. Now, my S3 seems really small. Frankly, the hardest decision is between the S5 and the Note 3 and the Lumia 1520. The Note 3 with a case seems to physically big but the screen size is great. The Lumia 1520 without a case seems completely awesome. The S5 may be a tad too small after you ahve it for 3 weeks (or 3 days!).

97TAWS6

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
No, the S5 is most definitely not too big. It is simply a momentary juxtaposition of your mind's impression based on past experience. When I got my first HTC EVO, it seems huge (and it was) because I was coming from Blackberry. Now, my S3 seems really small. Frankly, the hardest decision is between the S5 and the Note 3 and the Lumia 1520. The Note 3 with a case seems to physically big but the screen size is great. The Lumia 1520 without a case seems completely awesome. The S5 may be a tad too small after you ahve it for 3 weeks (or 3 days!).
I'm in the same boat, but after messing around with the Note3 and S5 at the store, I may go S5. It'll be a nice upgrade from my S3.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I have an S4 and while I don't think it's too big, it's probably as big as I'd want to go. After using it for 10 months I think I'd prefer something slightly smaller rather than something slightly bigger. The big screen is nice, but it's difficult to reach the entire screen when holding the phone with one hand. It's not a huge deal because I can just put all of the icons and widgets I interact with the most at the bottom of the screen, but every once in a while I need to get to the upper left hand corner of the screen and having to shift the phone to make that possible is an opportunity to drop it. With the S5 it will be slightly worse than with the S4. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker, but it's worth considering, especially if you have a few months before you upgrade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463