Wireless charging and phone cases....

bbogert79

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I have my S5 preordered and waiting for it to arrive. I know that Samsung has the Qi chargers that are compatible with the added charging battery cover on the phone. My question is if I am to order one of these does anyone know if it works with a case on your phone or do you have to remove it before you can use wireless chargers? I have 2 Spigen cases I plan on using with my phone. Any help or info would be appreciated!
Thanks
Brad

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It depends on the case. On my note 3, some cases kind of fit others would not. I would suspect it would be the same for the s5

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

gibsonplayr21

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't have any first hand experience, so take all I say with a grain of salt, but I did quite a bit of research on this very topic. Most places I have read (forum posts) say that extra distance from a case shouldn't greatly effect it. What worries me is if I have a metal case on the phone, because the inductance will inherently transfer some of that electrical energy into the metal plate, which will then be dissipated as heat.
Lesson: cases shouldn't effect it, as long as they aren't metallic or magnetic.

Buickman

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I use wireless charging on my HTC through a case all the time, works fine. The issue with Samsung phones is that the wireless charging backs are a little thicker than stock so many cases don't fit the phone anymore. Once they are in people's hands it will just take some trial and error to see what combinations work.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae