Galaxy S5: Anxious and excited!

Mushkie11

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Welp the S5 has shipped and will be in my possession Friday. Im coming from the iPhone 5 and while excited about this phone I am also very anxious to see how I like it compared to Apple. I love my iPhone but I think its time for a change! I will miss iMessage and Facetime but other than that I think I will be happy. Ill keep you all posted !!!!

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Welp the S5 has shipped and will be in my possession Friday. Im coming from the iPhone 5 and while excited about this phone I am also very anxious to see how I like it compared to Apple. I love my iPhone but I think its time for a change! I will miss iMessage and Facetime but other than that I think I will be happy. Ill keep you all posted !!!!

Congrats! I'm sure you will like the phone.

In the meantime, you might want to turn off iMessage and send/receive a few text messages using SMS and not iMessage. It can take a while sometimes for Apple to realize you're not using iMessage, and some iPhone users have reported not receiving text messages and having to call Apple to clear out their account.

Mushkie11

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Good point! I bought the LG G2 and returned it within 2 days because people couldn't text me. Is it still an issue if people don't have send as sms checked on in their iphone settings???

In the meantime, you might want to turn off iMessage and send/receive a few text messages using SMS and not iMessage. It can take a while sometimes for Apple to realize you're not using iMessage, and some iPhone users have reported not receiving text messages and having to call Apple to clear out their account.

Brooke Gray

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site

Yes!!! You must do this or you will not get any texts from iPhones. Been there done that! I shut down messages the minute I preordered the S5 so that I could assure that I would be fully kicked out of the apple system. If you have iPads and/or Macs you need to turn it off on there too!!

Mushkie11

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
And this is what gives me anxiety! Fungoo

Yes!!! You must do this or you will not get any texts from iPhones. Been there done that! I shut down messages the minute I preordered the S5 so that I could assure that I would be fully kicked out of the apple system. If you have iPads and/or Macs you need to turn it off on there too!!

Brooke Gray

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Good point! I bought the LG G2 and returned it within 2 days because people couldn't text me. Is it still an issue if people don't have send as sms checked on in their iphone settings???

No people should not have to change their settings. Once your number is kicked out of the Apple servers they will automatically come through as texts. That function on iPhone is only if an message won't go through to another iPhone as an iMessege then it will send as a text.

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

I recently switched as well. Once you make sure iMessage is off give it like 24-48 hours and everything seems to work. ALSO make sure you have the recipients of your texts delete the old message thread, that seems to help.

Mushkie11

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Great thank u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just shut it down so hopefully it wont have any interruption in texting

No people should not have to change their settings. Once your number is kicked out of the Apple servers they will automatically come through as texts. That function on iPhone is only if an message won't go through to another iPhone as an iMessege then it will send as a text.

Brooke Gray

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site

I took my phone less than 24 hours to be kicked out once I turned off iMesseges on all my Apple products. Everything comes to me as a text now so I will be good to go on Friday (hopefully!) I switched between the iPhone and the Galaxy 4 about a year or so ago and regret going back to iPhone ever since. It is just so damn boring but it integrated well with all my other Apple products. I have everything set up now so everything flows through Google between my Apple products and my S5 when it comes :)

Brooke Gray

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I am so anxious and excited too!! Ready to ditch my iPhone and bummed that others are able to track their S5s but I can't because I ordered through Radio Shack. I have called everyday to ask when they are expecting them. Of course I get the same answer, the 11th. I don't live in a very big town so they are going to know it was me that has been calling when I do go to pick up but I don't care! LOL

Mushkie11

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Ya I love the idea Im just hoping I don't cave and send this back! The screen is amazing. MY iPhone is so small and behind the times!

I took my phone less than 24 hours to be kicked out once I turned off iMesseges on all my Apple products. Everything comes to me as a text now so I will be good to go on Friday (hopefully!) I switched between the iPhone and the Galaxy 4 about a year or so ago and regret going back to iPhone ever since. It is just so damn boring but it integrated well with all my other Apple products. I have everything set up now so everything flows through Google between my Apple products and my S5 when it comes :)

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Ya I love the idea Im just hoping I don't cave and send this back! The screen is amazing. MY iPhone is so small and behind the times!

I think you will end up loving it. Just give yourself a few days to get used to Android. Once you get used to the bigger screen it's hard to go back to the iPhone. Not too mention all the little things Android does that you can't do on the iPhone. For instance, I love the fact that I can have the temperature in my status bar available at all times. It's just little things like that. I still like the iPhone, and switch back to it at times, but always end up with an Android device as my daily driver.

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I think you will end up loving it. Just give yourself a few days to get used to Android. Once you get used to the bigger screen it's hard to go back to the iPhone. Not too mention all the little things Android does that you can't do on the iPhone. For instance, I love the fact that I can have the temperature in my status bar available at all times. It's just little things like that. I still like the iPhone, and switch back to it at times, but always end up with an Android device as my daily driver.

This a million times! I have tried in the past to switch to Android and I always gave it up after a week. Give yourself time with it. I've had every iPhone since the iPhone 3G. I've been using Android now for the past 2 months and LOVE it. I'm not sure I can go back to iOS now! :p It's the little things that are nice, like setting a different default web browser, setting/using a different messaging app, notification light etc.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Isn't there an app preloaded on the S5 to help people make the switch from iPhone to the S5? I read the article here on AC but I can't find it!

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Isn't there an app preloaded on the S5 to help people make the switch from iPhone to the S5? I read the article here on AC but I can't find it!

The app is called Smart Switch. You can download it from Google Play. It allows you to transfer contacts, photos, music, videos, SMS, notes, calendars etc. A little insert came in the packaging with the S5 with the information.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah you might want to turn off FaceTime in addition to iMessage. I forgot to do that last time I switched to Android.

I'm also one who has gone back to the iPhone after many attempts at Android. I think I'm ready to commit this time but who knows? My iPhone 5s is a great phone but there just aren't any of the bells and whistles like Android has. I'm planning to pick up a S5 after work on Friday if AT&T has a white one left by then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

xmostwanted559x

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah you might want to turn off FaceTime in addition to iMessage. I forgot to do that last time I switched to Android.

I'm also one who has gone back to the iPhone after many attempts at Android. I think I'm ready to commit this time but who knows? My iPhone 5s is a great phone but there just aren't any of the bells and whistles like Android has. I'm planning to pick up a S5 after work on Friday if AT&T has a white one left by then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm new a android phone user. If my wife has iPhone still. Is there a FaceTime program we can share?

Posted via Android Central App

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Somehow I can't get texts from her...am I stuck in imessage?

Posted via Android Central App

Um yeah, probably something like that. I don't really know much about Apple but from what I understand, her texts are iMessages and are being sent to your old iMessages account. Hence, they are not making it to your Android. I think you need to contact Apple or something and they'll shut down your iMessages so you can get hers just as normal texts. Someone else on here can help you out better than I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz