Galaxy S5: Signal Strength

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
That's depressing. :(

I really want a smaller Samsung device but my most important feature is top tier signal strength. I may have to look else where with Motorola and HTC One M8 maybe.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

The M8 is only marginally better in this respect. I don't know the Motorola handsets.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The M8 is only marginally better in this respect. I don't know the Motorola handsets.

Motorola is generally good but the phones never have any good accessories unless its a MotoX. Even so, every Motorola phone my friends or family owned always slowed down to a crawl after the first year. So in a 2 year contract you have a phone that struggles with even just web browsing or texting.

However, being on Verizon, I always opt for the Maxx variant.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Motorola is generally good but the phones never have any good accessories unless its a MotoX. Even so, every Motorola phone my friends or family owned always slowed down to a crawl after the first year. So in a 2 year contract you have a phone that struggles with even just web browsing or texting.

However, being on Verizon, I always opt for the Maxx variant.

I had the S3 which I factory reset after using for 1.5 years and it's totally slower than my moto x. I could hardly get my files and pics off the phone before the reset. I don't think it's a brand issue. I think it's a technology thing. My Droid bionic does suck if I ever have to use it as anything but a clock. So I don't disagree with moto phones slowing down... But my opinion is that they all do it.

Posted via my Moto X DE

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had the S3 which I factory reset after using for 1.5 years and it's totally slower than my moto x. I could hardly get my files and pics off the phone before the reset. I don't think it's a brand issue. I think it's a technology thing. My Droid bionic does suck if I ever have to use it as anything but a clock. So I don't disagree with moto phones slowing down... But my opinion is that they all do it.

Posted via my Moto X DE

Oh they all do without a doubt. My point is the Note and S4+ line is so powerful now I don't see two years from launch being the time it slows down. Maybe it will, but with 2+ GB of RAM I think were pretty safe.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
If you ask me, the whole slowing-down thing is primarily an Android problem. I've seen this on pretty much every single Android device I've ever had. And I've never seen it on a WP8 or iOS device.

gdnp

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I got my phone on the 11th and have been concerned about signal strength. I'm getting 2 to 3 bars where my old iphone 4s got 4 to 5. Right now the signal strength on the iphone is -79, and on the Galaxy 5s is -108.

Now I can understand a dB or two difference, maybe 5 or even 10. But 30 dB seems way out of range. Anyone have an explanation other than a defective phone?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I got my phone on the 11th and have been concerned about signal strength. I'm getting 2 to 3 bars where my old iphone 4s got 4 to 5. Right now the signal strength on the iphone is -79, and on the Galaxy 5s is -108.

Now I can understand a dB or two difference, maybe 5 or even 10. But 30 dB seems way out of range. Anyone have an explanation other than a defective phone?

Android devices starting on Ice Cream Sandwich (I think it's that) have showed dBm readings differently. The iPhone as far as I believe is showing the dBm in 1X or something more cellular signal wise. The newer Android phones confuse people because you're getting readings for the network you're currently on. In this case, the dBm for LTE rather than just cellular.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I may be explaining this wrong. Too sleepy lol.

Edit: changing my network selection from LTE/CDMA to Global and back and fourth showed me this is true. It always ends up at -105 dBm as I'm in a so so LTE area but for a brief moment it's got a -88 dBm signal. So your cellular signal may be weak on LTE but that doesn't mean you have no service.

Last edited:

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Android devices starting on Ice Cream Sandwich (I think it's that) have showed dBm readings differently. The iPhone as far as I believe is showing the dBm in 1X or something more cellular signal wise. The newer Android phones confuse people because you're getting readings for the network you're currently on. In this case, the dBm for LTE rather than just cellular.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I may be explaining this wrong. Too sleepy lol.

Edit: changing my network selection from LTE/CDMA to Global and back and fourth showed me this is true. It always ends up at -105 dBm as I'm in a so so LTE area but for a brief moment it's got a -88 dBm signal. So your cellular signal may be weak on LTE but that doesn't mean you have no service.

Except that in my case, I simply don't get an LTE signal where the iPhone 5S and the Nexus 5 do. LTE in general works on the phone, but reception is bad.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Except that in my case, I simply don't get an LTE signal where the iPhone 5S and the Nexus 5 do. LTE in general works on the phone, but reception is bad.

I don't understand phones. I'd try a replacement or a new SIM. I've seen way to many people with the S5 claim the same as you and than the same amount of people say the S5 has LTE when their Nexus 5 and iPhone 5S wouldn't. Some of those people are from these forums. It makes no sense. :(

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site

LTE is data only not anything to do with cellular calls. In a year or two everyone will have Voice Over LTE. Try to update PRL that might work.

Posted via Android Central App

bob606

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Getting one more (voice) bar and more stable signal/connectivity with the S5 than with Moto Droid Bionic (I'm between 2 towers and the bionic was constantly switching btw the 2 towers and was having dropped calls every 30mins)

Fillyo

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Eclipse, go buy one and trial it out, I don't pay attention to those readings, I have had a GS3, GS4 & GS5 and have not had reception issues, those signal strength numbers just make you paranoid. As a matter of fact, I never got spectrum 4 in my office on my S4, but I did a speed test on my S5 this morning, pretty impressedst4-14.jpg.

feivel

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Signal Strength

I went to Verizon to check the signal strength along with other things. In that area the stores and my Note 3 hovered around -100 dBm. Not the best, but acceptable. The S5 hovered around -103 to -105 dBm.
Again, not a huge difference but still a difference either way.

Spent some time in a Verizon store with my GS3 and I found a similar and consistent relation. My GS3, which as consistently had very weak signal, was 2-5 dBm higher than the Note 3 (which was a big surprise!) which was 2-5 dBm higher than the GS5. Oddly, the Motorola Ultra and X were both lower. I watched the Ultra drop into 3G while I was checking signal! And I compared each one with my GS3 at the same location, so it's not a position thing.

What IS good these days? Is it all about dBm, or is there a software/chipset issue that really correlates with behavior?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Eclipse, go buy one and trial it out, I don't pay attention to those readings, I have had a GS3, GS4 & GS5 and have not had reception issues, those signal strength numbers just make you paranoid. As a matter of fact, I never got spectrum 4 in my office on my S4, but I did a speed test on my S5 this morning, pretty impressedView attachment 112510.

I ordered mine from Verizon online since I'll get a $150 gift card from Comcast.

Jdt0109

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Ive had all the newer devices the last year plus. In my work building the S3 was terrible, note 2 was better, S4 would always give me issues, note 3 wasnt bad. The S5 is close to the note 3 maybe a little better in my opinion. It hasnt given me anytime without signal where the S3 and S4 would defnitely have. That goes with the G2 also. I would have a little time without signal throughout the day. So for me its great....

layla616

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I came from ATT on an iPhone 4. Moved to Verizon for the BOGO on S5. My iPhone4 on ATT had full signal strength at all times. Never once dropped a call. My S5 gets two bars in the house, maybe 3 bars when I'm out and about. (Unless I am at the Verizon store. Had full bars there.) I dropped my first call this morning. Frustrating. I assume it's carrier, not my s5.

sel1965

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I have no problem making calls so far anywhere. I do however have trouble with data in my house which I never did with my Iphone 5s. In fact I never used my home internet with my iphone since I had good LTE speeds. On my S5 my data almost does not exist at home, I have to have it on my wifi in order to get any data at all.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have no problem making calls so far anywhere. I do however have trouble with data in my house which I never did with my Iphone 5s. In fact I never used my home internet with my iphone since I had good LTE speeds. On my S5 my data almost does not exist at home, I have to have it on my wifi in order to get any data at all.

Yeah, same here :-/

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney