02-02-2017 05:47 PM
77 1234
tools
    Also I think it has worst reception because of the waterproof seal and dust resistant seal. Someone else mentioned that they had to move the antennas in order for it to be water resistant. The S3 and S4 had awesome LTE connectivity.

Posted via Android Central App
    04-15-2014 09:52 AM
    Too be honest, I don't care about the numbers. I get service inside my home, which I never got with my iPhone 5. That is enough for me!
    04-15-2014 10:01 AM
    I had a S4 and had great reception. The S5 dropped to 3G in places I had LTE before. So now I'm back to my S4 and returned the S5.

Posted via Android Central App
    I love this phone, but I may have to switch back too and wait for the G3 or something. Which would suck because I love this phone, but can't go on without reception and/or data a lot of the time.
    04-15-2014 10:08 AM
    When I first got the phone it was switching between 3G and 4G. I never saw this on the Note 3. After a couple of hours my signal is a solid 4G and just a bit better according to dBm readings compared to my Note 3. This is extremely odd considering tests a few days earlier on the display unit showed my Note 3 as a better performer.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    04-18-2014 07:58 PM
    I finally upgraded from the HTC EVO 3D, and I love the S5, but reception is weaker then my old phone. It is nice to have LTE from time to time, but I have to keep the phone in CDMA only mode for me to access mobile data. Putting it in LTE/CDMA mode, it continues to switch back and forth from 4g to 3g. I guess I'll have to live with 4g only. On the phone reception side, in CDMA I get -85db, in LTE/CDMA I get -112db. So another reason to leave in CDMA only mode. Guess I wont get to use LTE for faster speeds after all. I thought even in CDMA only mode you should be able to get LTE, but I only get 3G no matter where I am at. Is this normal?
    04-19-2014 10:11 AM
    I like the S5, but the biggest issue for me is that the reception and call quality are not good. I do not recall the last time I had a phone the showed an Edge connection and I have had to see that E on the S5 several times. I have had apps not being able to connect even though it shows an LTE connection. The reception is just not good. Call quality is not terrible, but it is not good either. it is too bad. I can take some of the other smaller issues with the S5 (slight lag, etc.), but it needs to work as a phone and get a signal.
    TC Edwards and zipro like this.
    04-19-2014 09:04 PM
    Well, this blows: I got a FEMTO cell from my provider yesterday because the signal in our house has generally been bad. Not even with that one do I get more than 2 bars of 3G with the S5, even when I stand right next to the cell. I get 5 bars with the N5, with my wife's M8 and even the iPhone 5S, and that's all over the house not only standing next to it.
    I guess I'll send it in for a check :-/
    04-20-2014 02:56 AM
    Well, this blows: I got a FEMTO cell from my provider yesterday because the signal in our house has generally been bad. Not even with that one do I get more than 2 bars of 3G with the S5, even when I stand right next to the cell. I get 5 bars with the N5, with my wife's M8 and even the iPhone 5S, and that's all over the house not only standing next to it.
    I guess I'll send it in for a check :-/
    That doesn't even make sense. Sounds like the phone is faulty to be honest.

04-20-2014 03:06 AM
    I feel like people are clutching at straws to find faults

I have had the phone a week and not experienced any signal issues, I have a stock phone from Europe (G900F) Unbranded and on Vodaphone

I get 4G as soon as I turn the Wifi off, It switches really fast. Out and About i was in a rural area a few days ago at night, and I could only Get EDGE or GPRS internet for a bit

I am hoping this does not happen often because I am not paying 42 a month to have to resort to using damn GPRS!
    04-20-2014 04:33 AM
    I'm coming from a 5s on verizon.

So far my carrier reception is about the same, when I look at the number of bars etc. In my house it's not very strong, 1-2 bars at most and it was the same on my iphone 5s.

The big difference so far is Wifi range, The S5 has a drastically increased range over WIFI than my iphone. I can use it upstairs and outside without much of an issue, with my Iphone, I had to use a repeater.
    04-20-2014 05:47 AM
    Sitting inside I currently have 3/4 bars of Signal

Please also note people that (as far as i know) apparently the signal meter on phones does not really mean anything at all, you either have signal or you don't (Think this was on QI)

Also i have found Wifi signal is absolutely brilliant on the Galaxy S5, my old HTC has terrible Wifi and wouldn't even pick up my router from the bedroom, my S5 picks it up with 2/3 bars of wifi signal
    04-20-2014 07:03 AM
    Sitting inside I currently have 3/4 bars of Signal

Please also note people that (as far as i know) apparently the signal meter on phones does not really mean anything at all, you either have signal or you don't (Think this was on QI)

Also i have found Wifi signal is absolutely brilliant on the Galaxy S5, my old HTC has terrible Wifi and wouldn't even pick up my router from the bedroom, my S5 picks it up with 2/3 bars of wifi signal
    Yeah, WiFi is fine - but I don't get a 4G signal with the S5 at home where I did with all previous phones
    04-20-2014 07:27 AM
    Same here!
    04-20-2014 08:31 AM
    the LTE is the problem.it keeps toggling between 3g n 4g.which in turn affects the LTE.turn phone to 3g and the signal strength will come back
    05-11-2014 02:44 PM
    My LTE is stronger than ever with the S5 on Verizon. A bit odd considering the display unit wasn't as good asine is.

05-11-2014 05:49 PM
    Tmo S5 has much better reception then S3
    05-11-2014 07:13 PM
    So it wasn't my imagination after all. Coming home from my daugher's the other night with my 2 day old S5, I ran into an area with no signal and then 3G. I thought that was odd but wasn't sure if it was the same on my Razr and maybe I just never noticed. Guess I wasn't imagining things after all
    05-11-2014 09:14 PM
    So it wasn't my imagination after all. Coming home from my daugher's the other night with my 2 day old S5, I ran into an area with no signal and then 3G. I thought that was odd but wasn't sure if it was the same on my Razr and maybe I just never noticed. Guess I wasn't imagining things after all
    Motorola phones generally have the best cellular radio. Thats great if you're happy with a not so high tech device. I did love my Droid Maxx but an update forced me to keep dropping signal completely although not many experienced this.

05-11-2014 09:18 PM
    I have had my S5 since mid April. The signal strength is...not good. I am very disappointed. I switched from the S3 which had excellent signal strength and I could talk on my phone and surf the web. I cannot do both on my S5 unless I am connected to Wi-Fi. I love the Galaxy series, but I am completely underwhelmed by this phone. In my opinion, fancy apps do not a good phone make. I love apps and all that other good stuff, but I like to make and receive calls, send and receive texts, check my e-mail and multi-task on my device. The poor signal strength makes my basic needs more difficult on the newer phone. Wow!
    So I do not know who has good signal strength on their S5, it is not I.
    06-17-2014 09:54 AM
    Verizon member here. Recently upgraded to the S5 from a Note 2. The reception on the Note 2 was so much better, it's almost comical.
    06-22-2014 05:08 PM
    I've had pretty good reception where I live, however I think it's a little less than my old HTC Rezound. On a Speedtest at home, I had around 12 mbps down with the rezound and only around 9 mbps on the galaxy s5. I did get a good 40+ mbps down in a different part of town...maybe it's that xtle in action. But, around the time I got my rezound in December 2011 or January 2012, I got over 40 mbps down with that too and it was just 4G lte, not xtle.

Despite any small shortcoming on the s5's reception, the phone works way faster using Chrome than my rezound did.
    06-26-2014 01:58 AM
    Samsung's signal has done down hill fast! i just took in my S5 because of dropped signal and i got a HTC as a loner phone and it has 2 bars where the samsung had nothing i am on the edge between going back to iphone or an HTC one (m8). because if it comes back and does it again i will have no choice but change my phone yet again, because know that i have another phone of different brand that is working fine out here! i know that it's my phone! samsung is losing my vote.
    07-21-2014 06:50 PM
    Same thing happened to me. The signal would fade in an out while standing next to my femto cell. Diving down the highway where i know I had great reception with my S2, barely a signal with the S5. Bluetooth connectivity in my new Jeep was terrible as well...barely worked. I returned the phone and still using the S2 until I can figure out what phone to buy...thinking of the LG G3 but trying to find info regarding this matter has so far been tough.
    08-08-2014 10:53 AM
    When i was working out of town I had an S4. Signal was a problem in certain area. I purchased a Wilson electronics dual band amp. It worked great. After not working out of town for a while I put the booster away. I upgraded to a S5. When i went back out of town again I had the same problem with signal. I got out my booster and it did not work with the S5. I tried it with my old S4 and it worked great. I don't understand why it would work with the S4 but not the S5. I have a friend who also has an S5 and the same problem. It doesn't work with his either>
    11-25-2014 09:52 AM
    I just got the s5 im not that impressed my cell signal is horrible at my house download anything it takes for ever to get online. i only get 1 bar . as my s4 got great signal no problems what so ever.. the camera, not impressed but its olny been a few days i think im gonna go back to the s4.
    02-17-2015 02:53 AM
77 1234