Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

07-16-2014 07:05 AM
563 12345 ...
tools
    For those looking to improve what they have already, turn on ART in the Dev settings. You should see a nice boost in performance and battery life as a result.

Posted via Android Central App
    What exactlybis ART and why does it help?

04-11-2014 12:48 PM
    What exactlybis ART and why does it help?

New runtime for Android. Still not the standard (that's still Dalvik), but it improves performance and battery life. Only problem is that not every app supports it

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    04-11-2014 01:37 PM
    False. They ran tests and ART does indeed increase performance+battery.
    Jury is still out? Where did you hear or read that?

That's right, the jury is still out. Android Police ran extensive tests over weeks, checking benchmarks, performance, and battery life. You can read all about it here complete with charts and diagrams:

Performance: Meet ART, Part 2: Benchmarks - Performance Won't Blow You Away Today, But It Will Get Better
    Battery Life: Meet ART, Part 3: Battery Life Benchmarks - Not Good, But Not Too Bad

TL;DR version: ART shows a lot of promise for the future of Android, as developers code their apps to take advantage of it. Right now, performance gains are measurably minimal in most cases. The author of those tests readily admits that while he does believe there is improvement it could just be the placebo effect talking. However, there's nothing wrong with activating ART, it won't hurt your device to do so.

And for those asking, ART (Android Runtime) is the new "engine" for powering Android. The old one is called Dalvik.
    newtda513 likes this.
    04-11-2014 02:06 PM
    Here is a link to provide a little more insight, keep in mind this stuff gets " techy " real quick so don't feel bad if your feeling lost.

https://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/art.html

ART is a new Android runtime being introduced experimentally in the 4.4 release. This is a preview of work in progress in KitKat that can be turned on in Settings > developer options. This is available for the purpose of obtaining early developer and partner feedback.

Important: Dalvik must remain the default runtime or you risk breaking your Android implementations and third-party applications.

Two runtimes are now available, the existing Dalvik runtime (libdvm.so) and the ART (libart.so). A device can be built using either or both. (You can dual boot from Developer options if both are installed.)

The dalvikvm command line tool can run with either of them now. See runtime_common.mk. That is included from build/target/product/runtime_libdvm.mk or build/target/product/runtime_libdvm.mk or both.

A new PRODUCT_RUNTIMES variable controls which runtimes are included in a build. Include it within either build/target/product/core_minimal.mk or build/target/product/core_base.mk.

Add this to the device makefile to have both runtimes built and installed, with Dalvik as the default:
    PRODUCT_RUNTIMES := runtime_libdvm_default
    PRODUCT_RUNTIMES += runtime_libart
    UJ95x, Almeuit and Citizen Coyote like this.
    04-11-2014 02:08 PM
    Well I'm not happy at all. This is the worst battery life I've had on a phone in a couple of years. I hope Sony brings the Z1 compact to the states. I imported one of those and it would give me 7-10 hours of on screen time. Didn't expect this result.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    04-11-2014 02:12 PM
    I'm pretty happy with my battery. Been fiddling with it on and off all day and listening to music.

Sent from my Galaxy S5, using tapatalk
    s_banks likes this.
    04-11-2014 02:24 PM
    Well I'm not happy at all. This is the worst battery life I've had on a phone in a couple of years. I hope Sony brings the Z1 compact to the states. I imported one of those and it would give me 7-10 hours of on screen time. Didn't expect this result.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/a3emepes.jpg
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/vehepy6a.jpg

You have a wakelock. A reboot will likely fix the battery drain, and you'll see a big improvement.

robertopod1968 likes this.
    04-11-2014 05:11 PM
    I'm pretty happy with my battery. Been fiddling with it on and off all day and listening to music. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/ytu6erar.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S5, using tapatalk
    Can you post screen on time?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    04-11-2014 06:55 PM
    So far I'm content with this. Have some tweaking to do to improve this a bit.

I've had blue tooth on all day (paired with my Gear 2), brightness auto, wifi off, nfc on.

*edit* forgot to upload pics
    04-11-2014 07:20 PM
    You have a wakelock. A reboot will likely fix the battery drain, and you'll see a big improvement.

Yeah. I've done a couple of reboots and last night I changed over to ART. So it might still be settling in also. I seem to get real good battery life at home but not away. I still have WiFi at work and about the same signal strength. Weird. Thank you

04-11-2014 09:53 PM
    i didnt realy understand what it did but i said yeah allways
    04-11-2014 10:04 PM
    Can you post screen on time?

same i dont use bluetooth constantly and wifi but but mine rocks played NFS most wanted ANTUTU benchmark is 35082

- - - Updated - - -

wrong guy
    04-11-2014 10:07 PM
    So far I'm content with this. Have some tweaking to do to improve this a bit.

I've had blue tooth on all day (paired with my Gear 2), brightness auto, wifi off, nfc on.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...1-19-16-01.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...1-19-16-07.png

*edit* forgot to upload pics
    This doesn't seem all that great, my S4 gets pretty much the exact same battery life as this.

Do you have any wakelocks potentially decreasing battery life?

04-11-2014 10:10 PM
    This doesn't seem all that great, my S4 gets pretty much the exact same battery life as this.

Do you have any wakelocks potentially decreasing battery life?

The time seems decent but I was expecting better myself. I hope it settles and improves. Android System is eating a lot of battery though and that's not normal. Screen time should be #1.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)
    04-11-2014 10:24 PM
    Sorry, can't edit an image in. You can see on my Note 3 and same goes for any phone I've used before the Android System shouldn't use a ton.

Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S5: How's everyone's battery life so far?-1397273181371.jpg  
    UJ95x and msavic6 like this.
    04-11-2014 10:26 PM
    Could you install GSAM on your S5 and post your results later on? I have seen some S5 battery stats with excessively high kernel usage and your S5 might have the same issue.

04-11-2014 11:07 PM
    Could you install GSAM on your S5 and post your results later on? I have seen some S5 battery stats with excessively high kernel usage and your S5 might have the same issue.

Eclipse2K is posting from a Galaxy Note 3.

msavic6 likes this.
    04-11-2014 11:24 PM

I saw that afterwards haha.

04-11-2014 11:36 PM

Thanks UJ95x.

I was just posting an example showing that Android System shouldn't be a hog and above display time.

Paul627g likes this.
    04-12-2014 04:44 AM
    Friday I got 16 hours of total time before I charged at 17%. On screen time was 5 hours. Is that considered good or bad?
    hardrocker89 likes this.
    04-12-2014 05:31 AM
    Friday I got 16 hours of total time before I charged at 17%. On screen time was 5 hours. Is that considered good or bad?
    Excellent. That's about what the Note 3 gets but under the Droid Maxx by about 2 hours. That's expected though given the power it has under the hood.

Plus, at 2800 mah compared to the Maxx 3300ah, I'd say you're doing amazing.

04-12-2014 05:35 AM
    Excellent. That's about what the Note 3 gets but under the Droid Maxx by about 2 hours. That's expected though given the power it has under the hood.

Seriosly? I was doing that with my S4.

04-12-2014 05:38 AM
    Seriosly? I was doing that with my S4.

How the heck did you do that? My friend is constantly complaining about his S4 battery life, lol.

Remember, battery life should actually improve slightly throughout the week. See how it turns out there. Also, it depends on how bright the display is, auto brightness or low/high, auto updates, WiFi vs Cellular signal, signal quality, etc.

04-12-2014 05:39 AM

The maxx is 3500mah. But I'm getting pretty good battery life just coming from the maxx myself. I would average around 7hours screen on time with the maxx. So far I'm seeing around 4.5 or so with s5. Once its settled in and I get everything setup I'll see where my normal usage is at

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app
    04-12-2014 05:40 AM
    How the heck did you do that? My friend is constantly complaining about his S4 battery life, lol.

Remember, battery life should actually improve slightly throughout the week. See how it turns out there. Also, it depends on how bright the display is, auto brightness or low/high, auto updates, WiFi vs Cellular signal, signal quality, etc.

5 hours of screen time? All the time on my s4. I don't think that it was a rare occurrence eather for an s4 in general. I had a couple of 7 hour screen time days on the M8 that I sold. I just installed GSAM so I will give it a day or two then start posting screen shots.

04-12-2014 05:44 AM
563 12345 ...