Galaxy S5: How's everyone's battery life so far?

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
The Caller ID picture and call time in the little box on the top left.. is that a GS5 feature or an app?!?

It is a gs5 feature... it popped up for me earlier while on a regular call that I had on speaker and went to the home screen to look something up... you can move the box around also.. it's pretty nifty lol

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
i just got mine yesterday afternoon , but so far the battery seems fine.i haven't experienced the rapid battery drain that i did when i first got my S3( that was just when the phone was idle ). we shall see how it holds up all day idle and with use.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Some apps might have issues if I remember

Sent from my SM-N900T

That and it will take a bit of time to set up the first time you turn it on. Jury is still out on whether or not ART notably improves performance and battery life, sometimes I think it's more placebo effect that anything. Of course, you can always turn it off and revert to normal, so aside from time there's no real harm in trying.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
That and it will take a bit of time to set up the first time you turn it on. Jury is still out on whether or not ART notably improves performance and battery life, sometimes I think it's more placebo effect that anything. Of course, you can always turn it off and revert to normal, so aside from time there's no real harm in trying.

False. They ran tests and ART does indeed increase performance+battery.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

Jury is still out? Where did you hear or read that?

Posted via Android Central App

felyke

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Battery life has been great for me. It gave me 2:30 hours screen on time before turning off. This was out of 4 hours total. No power saver mode on and it was downloading and messing with settings after walking out the sprint store. Thats actually more of what I got with my nexus 5 after a full charge.
This was from 50% not a full charged battery so I'm expecting amazing battery life.
Sent from my SM-G900P using AC Forums mobile app

Shadowpdx

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Received mine yesterday (4/10) - installed the battery and it showed to be at 63 per cent - did a full charge, which took about an hour and started to set up the phone (geek heaven here) - when I took a break for the night it was at 40 per cent........satisfactory so far.....our first outing is tomorrow for a soccer game so will see how the battery life is then.....

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
What exactlybis ART and why does it help?

New runtime for Android. Still not the standard (that's still Dalvik), but it improves performance and battery life. Only problem is that not every app supports it

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
False. They ran tests and ART does indeed increase performance+battery.

Jury is still out? Where did you hear or read that?

That's right, the jury is still out. Android Police ran extensive tests over weeks, checking benchmarks, performance, and battery life. You can read all about it here complete with charts and diagrams:

Performance: Meet ART, Part 2: Benchmarks - Performance Won't Blow You Away Today, But It Will Get Better
Battery Life: Meet ART, Part 3: Battery Life Benchmarks - Not Good, But Not Too Bad

TL;DR version: ART shows a lot of promise for the future of Android, as developers code their apps to take advantage of it. Right now, performance gains are measurably minimal in most cases. The author of those tests readily admits that while he does believe there is improvement it could just be the placebo effect talking. However, there's nothing wrong with activating ART, it won't hurt your device to do so.

And for those asking, ART (Android Runtime) is the new "engine" for powering Android. The old one is called Dalvik.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Here is a link to provide a little more insight, keep in mind this stuff gets " techy " real quick so don't feel bad if your feeling lost.

https://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/art.html

ART is a new Android runtime being introduced experimentally in the 4.4 release. This is a preview of work in progress in KitKat that can be turned on in Settings > developer options. This is available for the purpose of obtaining early developer and partner feedback.

Important: Dalvik must remain the default runtime or you risk breaking your Android implementations and third-party applications.

Two runtimes are now available, the existing Dalvik runtime (libdvm.so) and the ART (libart.so). A device can be built using either or both. (You can dual boot from Developer options if both are installed.)

The dalvikvm command line tool can run with either of them now. See runtime_common.mk. That is included from build/target/product/runtime_libdvm.mk or build/target/product/runtime_libdvm.mk or both.

A new PRODUCT_RUNTIMES variable controls which runtimes are included in a build. Include it within either build/target/product/core_minimal.mk or build/target/product/core_base.mk.

Add this to the device makefile to have both runtimes built and installed, with Dalvik as the default:
PRODUCT_RUNTIMES := runtime_libdvm_default
PRODUCT_RUNTIMES += runtime_libart

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm not happy at all. This is the worst battery life I've had on a phone in a couple of years. I hope Sony brings the Z1 compact to the states. I imported one of those and it would give me 7-10 hours of on screen time. Didn't expect this result.

a3emepes.jpg

vehepy6a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

jrgavette

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with my battery. Been fiddling with it on and off all day and listening to music.
ytu6erar.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S5, using tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm not happy at all. This is the worst battery life I've had on a phone in a couple of years. I hope Sony brings the Z1 compact to the states. I imported one of those and it would give me 7-10 hours of on screen time. Didn't expect this result.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/a3emepes.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/vehepy6a.jpg

You have a wakelock. A reboot will likely fix the battery drain, and you'll see a big improvement.

compg318

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
So far I'm content with this. Have some tweaking to do to improve this a bit.

I've had blue tooth on all day (paired with my Gear 2), brightness auto, wifi off, nfc on.

Screenshot_2014-04-11-19-16-01.png

Screenshot_2014-04-11-19-16-07.png

*edit* forgot to upload pics

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
You have a wakelock. A reboot will likely fix the battery drain, and you'll see a big improvement.

Yeah. I've done a couple of reboots and last night I changed over to ART. So it might still be settling in also. I seem to get real good battery life at home but not away. I still have WiFi at work and about the same signal strength. Weird. Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz