Galaxy S5: How's everyone's battery life so far?

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
All I have to say is that I am thoroughly impressed with the battery life on this device. Actually, that would be an understatement. I have only owned the phone for two days but after seeing such stupendous results in the battery life department, I have no worries for the future. I have only ever been able to reach this screen on time with a Galaxy Note 2.
My stats throughout the day: unplugged at 4:10 AM. I primarily use my smartphone to browse the web, listen to music, and text. Other than that it's usually Flipboard, loads of pictures taken with the camera, light calling, HEAVY YouTube videos streaming, and some other miscellaneous apps (in my case SoundCloud, Voxer, Drive, Blogger). I have 1 Google account synced to my phone, it has everything set to sync except Blogger and Picassa photos (I just use the default Photos app via G+ to view all my Auto Backup photos). Other accounts are Last.fm, Soundcloud, Shazam, and Yahoo (Flickr app). Vibration, or haptic feedback, is set to OFF for every setting. The only “motion” gesture I use on the phone is air-view; everything else like palm swipe screencapture or smart alert is turned off. Location mode is set to power saving, Google location is set to on, Google location history is set to on. Wifi is used ~%80 of the time, otherwise LTE via T-Mobile. Brightness is set to %0 - %10 when indoors (I can see it just fine). Otherwise it is set to %50 outdoors. I never use auto-brightness. Today I was only outdoors for about 2 hours; did some picture taking, texting, music (cached via WiFi through google play music) and light Chrome browsing outdoors on LTE. Oh, and if it matters, I'm using the fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone...

tldr; holycrap.jpeg
View attachment 119838
View attachment 119839
View attachment 119840

May i ask within those 15 hours of on time, how many hours was for using the phone and how many hour for idle? I would like to calculate your battery drain per hour from usage. thanks

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Dumb question but why if I use it non stop it last 4.5 hours of screen time but if I stretch it out, I get closer to 6 hours

Here's my potential hypothesis, when you use the phone, it generates heat and in turn warms up the battery after a little while.

Battery's are significantly less efficient at greater temperatures thus those extended constant use periods cause the battery to warm up and lose charge quicker while those extended periods keep the battery cooler and thus more efficient.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Jannukaz

May 26, 2014
Visit site
10338715_886452518048363_9107724947690632319_n.jpg 10301363_886452528048362_6733969758418609925_n.jpg

I'm down to 60% after about ~ 1.45 - 2 hours of Wifi usage, Facebook, Internet. 45 minutes of Plants vs Zombies. 20 minutes of 4G for Facebook Chat.
Am I expecting too much from the battery or am I a heavy user or something ? I keep my Wifi and 4G off when I'm not using, closing all tabs when using etc.
Anything I'm doing wrong ?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Signal looks weak which does drain the battery quite quickly. You're expecting too much because low signal is a negative but gaming gets the processors going which will drain even more.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea, why the signal is low. Maybe a bad day? Other than the signal, is the battery life fine ?

Battery is fine. Screen on time is the most intensive use of the battery if its on for a decent amount of time compared to idle time. Processors running at a higher rate which also create heat will generally use a lot of battery too. Mix this in with weak signal and other applications that auto update/intensity of display brightness and you've got a hard working battery.

Jannukaz

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Battery is fine. Screen on time is the most intensive use of the battery if its on for a decent amount of time compared to idle time. Processors running at a higher rate which also create heat will generally use a lot of battery too. Mix this in with weak signal and other applications that auto update/intensity of display brightness and you've got a hard working battery.

I see, the sun was shining straight to my S5 so I guess that's why :D It was a tad warm. But would you suggest using the auto-brightness which I have now or manual ?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I see, the sun was shining straight to my S5 so I guess that's why :D It was a tad warm. But would you suggest using the auto-brightness which I have now or manual ?

I use Automatic Brightness which is great if you go into fluctuating environments of light. This option is better than leaving the display on full brightness at all times but its worse than leaving it at a lower brightness consistently.

The sun shining could make it warmer but if its on Auto brightness this will also cause the phone to become brighter. As for heat I guess it plays a role if its warm enough. The heat I was speaking of is created by the device itself due to the hardware being pushed to the limit.

Jannukaz

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I use Automatic Brightness which is great if you go into fluctuating environments of light. This option is better than leaving the display on full brightness at all times but its worse than leaving it at a lower brightness consistently.

The sun shining could make it warmer but if its on Auto brightness this will also cause the phone to become brighter. As for heat I guess it plays a role if its warm enough. The heat I was speaking of is created by the device itself due to the hardware being pushed to the limit.

Alright, I think I shouldn't be worrying about the battery then other than the signal.
Thanks for now ! If I have more questions, I'll be sure to let you guys know ! :p

Ruchy Reich

May 29, 2014
Visit site
my battery life is horrible! in an hour it goes down by 10% and gps bluetooth syn are all of... brightness is low... and how would i get a replacement from samsung?

Ruchy Reich

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I would love to get an entire day with moderate use. My battery is absoltely terrible on my gs5. I got a replacement yesterday so hopefully it is better today. I took it to Samsung yesterday and it was at 88%. The guy plugged it in to diagnose it and about 10 minutes later it was at 79%. He looked at me and goes "Ya thats not good."

my battery life is horrible! in an hour it goes down by 10% and gps bluetooth syn are all of... brightness is low... and how would i get a replacement from samsung?

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

I just went to best buy since that's where I got it from.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

anon5658834

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't find battery life as good as reviews and people say. I always do everything possible to minimise battery drain but although it's a lot better than S4 battery it's still not what I'd call excellent. Not on par with G2 and I've never really had what I'd call excellent battery life from any Samsung. Other brands I have but never Samsung

Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I use Automatic Brightness also. I also have screen timeout at 10 minutes. But that is not to say that I leave the screen on for 10 minutes, it is that I don't want the screen to blank out while I am trying to get through an automated answering system, or while I am reading world news, or working with an excel spreadsheet.

I have reported that I get 3 days minimum and up to 5 days on a single charge. That is true, but it is not typical of the average user because I use manual control of the outside world. ie,
I use Battery Doctor to turn OFF,
Data, Sync, WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth.

Also I use the Battery Doctor's 2nd widget to kill all background processes that are not needed when I put the phone to sleep.

Today is the end of the 2nd day after topping the battery off at 100%. That was 0500 AM yesterday morning.
It is now 2100 hrs and the battery is at 48%.

Today, I have been on six phone calls to customer service reps handling business affairs. I'm guessing 2 or 3 hours of hold time? Now while on those phone calls, all of the above items I said are turned OFF, stayed turned OFF. They are not needed to make a 1x type phone call and that is how Verizon usually handles simple phone calls, you revert back to 1x signals.

Yesterday I surfed the internet for two hours, today I read forums for about an hour, and I used Navigation for about a half hour. All of that was using DATA, not WiFi.
When all of that is done at any given time, I turn OFF,
Data, Sync, WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth and put the phone to sleep.

At that point in time, the phone idles along at a rate of about 8% to 10% use for a full day.

So that is how I get greatly extended battery life.

I am fully aware that using video, watching TV or movies, playing interactive games, etc will use more battery power. That is the price tag of using 4g.

My personal 4g requirements are very light by most people's standards.

I have turned OFF all apps that are not necessary for me to do my style of living. No background internet traffic is allowed period when the phone is asleep.

So, you can have your cake and hang onto it, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. Sorry about the pun, but that is the way of battery life.

This is my cup of tea, and it surely will not be yours. But there is a happy medium in there somewhere for everyone. You just have to decide how to dish out the battery juice.

Hope you all are able to find your cup of tea.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Today, a co-worker who has an S4 and is hot into all things video, watches YouTube, movies on the job when he can.... that phone is in his hands every chance he gets. The battery ran flat on it at 1:30 PM today. He asked me if I had a charger cord with me.

oops, I left it in my lunch pail back at the office.... sorry Robert... My battery at that time was at 68% on this the 2nd day..... He asked me if I would loan him my battery. I said it is an S5 Robert, it won't fit.

Robert blurts out "All Samsung batteries are the same. "

Robert is one of those "know it alls" and I have learned to just keep my mouth shut around him.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Today, a co-worker who has an S4 and is hot into all things video, watches YouTube, movies on the job when he can.... that phone is in his hands every chance he gets. The battery ran flat on it at 1:30 PM today. He asked me if I had a charger cord with me.

oops, I left it in my lunch pail back at the office.... sorry Robert... My battery at that time was at 68% on this the 2nd day..... He asked me if I would loan him my battery. I said it is an S5 Robert, it won't fit.

Robert blurts out "All Samsung batteries are the same. "

Robert is one of those "know it alls" and I have learned to just keep my mouth shut around him.

He obviously never saw the Note 3 battery. :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey