Lock Screen Widget on S5: UNavailable feature? Want to add an Analog Clock to Lock Screen

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Dear All:

I like analog clocks and have always put an analog clock on my lock screen.

In this case, I think Samsung has disabled the functionality (or feature) of allowing widgets of ANY sort to go on the Lock Screen!! I hope someone educates me on how to do it or tells me that I'm incorrect, but I fear that this is the case. This would be awfully stupid. Why remove features like widgets to customize? That is the raison d'etre of the more current phones and the more current Android versions.

Any advice please?

Thanks in advance.

redhat1001

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
There was a thread earlier, but no, there is no adding widgets to this phone on the lockscreen. No option like the s4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

trickym81

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is unfortunate. I wonder if alternate lock screens will eventually be able to use the fingerprint scanner so that you can have a lock screen with widgets.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
may i ask why digi clock is different from the stock digital clock on Samsung's own overlay?

i'm struggling with having to live with the inability to have widgets on the Lock Screen. this is entirely idiotic, excuse my french!

there is no reason whatsoever to remove a tiny little feature like this.

it's akin to removing one file that is 20KB in order to try to "save memory" in this day and age.

as bogged down and as cumbersome as the Samsung overlay is, removing this feature is ridiculous. this is not THE reason that the Samsung overlay to Android is consuming more than 50% of our "in phone" memory! ugh. disappointed, to say the least. poor judgement.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
If you have the S-view case will you be able to view time and basic info? Not sure if I will get that case or not. Still kind of expensive :/

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
i suppose i'm being overly specific, but i like analog clocks. maybe it's quirky, but anyhoo... ;)

another issue cropped up:

the so-called Auto Brightness feature doesn't seem to work "out of the box".

the phone is not sensitive to the brightness of its environment except for when the "Auto Brightness" feature was selected. Thereafter, it would remain overly bright ad infinitum until one unchecks the Auto Brightness box and then re-checks it.

ugh.

i wonder if this is a feature that Samsung can fix via their next firmware update?

redhat1001

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
If you add your own wallpaper and it happens to be light in color or white, you are out of luck trying to see the default clock on the lockscreen.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
i suppose i'm being overly specific, but i like analog clocks. maybe it's quirky, but anyhoo... ;)

another issue cropped up:

the so-called Auto Brightness feature doesn't seem to work "out of the box".

the phone is not sensitive to the brightness of its environment except for when the "Auto Brightness" feature was selected. Thereafter, it would remain overly bright ad infinitum until one unchecks the Auto Brightness box and then re-checks it.

ugh.

i wonder if this is a feature that Samsung can fix via their next firmware update?

There always seems to be an auto brightness issue for some reason. They are usually not extreme but yours kind of seems like it. I would power the phone down (hold power, restart) and see if that helps.

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
No idea what they did this...perhaps it was a security issue with the FP lock. I don't think the iPhone let's you add an analog clock either.

Has anyone tried third party lock screens?

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
If you add your own wallpaper and it happens to be light in color or white, you are out of luck trying to see the default clock on the lockscreen.

@redhat1001: thank you for being so precise and observant. correct!! i added a picture of my buddy (my doggie!) and there happens to be some white-ish part at the upper left corner of the picture. oh well, the clock is essentially non-functional as you can't really read the time.

idiotic to not allow widgets on the Lock Screen. sigh.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
No idea what they did this...perhaps it was a security issue with the FP lock. I don't think the iPhone let's you add an analog clock either.

Has anyone tried third party lock screens?

however, the S4 allows me to add an anolog clock without compromising on the security of its building

puremeerkat

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that when I got mine.. hmm

At least touch wiz is really smooth. Even more so then sense on my One M7

Posted via Android Central App

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried turning off the fingerprint scanner, making sure it is 100% off/disabled then try to add a lock screen widget?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781