Is the Galaxy S5 headphone jack waterproof?

Mr Tripod

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5: Is the headphone jack waterproof?

June 2014: I have a brand-new Galaxy S5 phone which I took to a commercial water park. While I tried not to soak or submerge the phone, it did get splashed quite a bit. All seemed well, until a presumed drop of water found its way into the earphone jack. After that occurred, the phone believed there was a headset / earphones plugged in for the next 4 - 6 hours. This caused the internal speaker to remain mute (the one that sits over your ear during a call, etc). All the while, the phone showed a Toast stating that headphones were connected. Fortunately, engaging the speaker phone allowed me to make / receive calls. Clearly, the water closed the circuit in the headphone port. Until it dried - on its own - the phone was crippled.

This was extremely frustrating to experience, with all of the hype about the phone being WATER RESISTANT (not water proof). Yes, the charger port cover was secure ... and, yes, the rear cover was secure as well.

In fact, this same exact issue occurred on a prior phone - another Samsung; the Galaxy S2 - only, that time, I was carrying the phone in my shirt pocket with the headphone port facing upwards ... and it was raining at the time.

The next time I plan to have my phone near water, I will take a headphone jack and insert it, after cutting off the wires. This will hopefully act as a plug.

Therefore, in my experience, the Samsung Galaxy S5 is still subject to malfunctions caused by water.

scobb

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

All you need to do is shake the water out. Two quick shakes - and you are good to go.

SAMmarked1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

The S5 components inside the phone are dipped in a water resistant silicone soloution. The headphone port takes 24 hrs to dry out they say but have experienced less.

Posted via Android Central App

Jordan Cross

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site

Um, first off, u don't need to put a plug into the jack. You just have to use common sense and blow into the jack to remove the water. I have thrown my galaxy s5 into a pool, and just blew out the jack and it was just fine. Secondly, the manual actually says that the waterproofing, (and yes it said waterPROOFING) is created to both protect the phone, and to enable you to take waterproof pictures.). As long as you're not stupid with it, and make sure the back cover is sealed, it will be fine. Stop trying to scare people

Tom Patterson

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

Just picked up my S5 from AT&T and came back to the office, everyone expecting a demonstration of me putting my phone in a glass of water...

I was completely ready to do it after watching all of the videos, but now I am not so sure after seeing the headphone jack has no cover.

For those of you who have tested it, does the headphone jack still work fine after getting wet? Does anyone know how this works?

Put one of those stylus stoppers in the jack if you wanna video under water. Also make sure your power flap is secure. Hopefully it doesnt wear out but you can completely submerge your S5. I would make sure your insurance covers water damage though just in case you have a defective phone. Backup your data first!!

Sliver22

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

Well I created this post the day the phone came out.. By now everyone has heard the "omg it's water resistant not proof" and "you are crazy if you get your phone wet purposely"...

Well here we are months down the line... I've gotten my phone wet on multiple occasions. Taken underwater photos at the pool, I use it in the shower on a normal basis, if I'm washing my hands and my phone screen is a little messy I'll rinse it off in the sink, water at this point just isn't an issue. Phone still works perfectly.

Now I'm not recommending anyone go swimming with your phone.. Keep it away from deep water, and make sure everything is sealed and you will be just fine!

Pwnography

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

quick question then... does using headphones tamper with its waterproofing? like can i jog in the rain with my headphones plugged in to my s5 and not damage it still?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

First, let's lay out what IP67 certification really means.

IP 6(Totally protected against dust) 7(Protected against the effect of immersion between 15cm and 1m)

Um, first off, u don't need to put a plug into the jack. You just have to use common sense and blow into the jack to remove the water. I have thrown my galaxy s5 into a pool, and just blew out the jack and it was just fine. Secondly, the manual actually says that the waterproofing, (and yes it said waterPROOFING) is created to both protect the phone, and to enable you to take waterproof pictures.). As long as you're not stupid with it, and make sure the back cover is sealed, it will be fine. Stop trying to scare people

Trying to scare people? I can only wonder where in the manual this is written although I haven't looked. Samsung has constantly advertised it as "Water-Resistant Design" which does not imply "Water Proof Design". As for water proof pictures as you call it, it's referring to you taking a picture while near water. That does not imply or even remotely point to telling the phone user to dunk the phone in the water of a swimming pool and take under water pictures. It's saying it's okay to take a picture near water without fear of splashes. Big difference.

quick question then... does using headphones tamper with its waterproofing? like can i jog in the rain with my headphones plugged in to my s5 and not damage it still?

You'll be fine. Again, water resistance isn't waterproof and Samsung never claims it's proof from anything.

Dacy J.
You don't even have a Galaxy S5. The S5 is waterproof. It has a ip67 rating. if you knew anything.... anything you wouldn't not have made your comment above. Furthermore if you watch the samsung commercials on tv, the actor is rinsing the dust of his phone with water! samsung is not going to advertise someone rinsing their phone off if they thought it was not possible.
You should get rid of that brick you have (Nokia 6230... how do they even service that thing?) and get a smartphone:-\

Enough of this waterproof nonsense. That would mean the phone isn't at risk of water damage under any circumstances. Just as shock resistant from drops doesn't mean the display is guaranteed not to crack. IP67 does NOT mean you can submerge it in water and be guaranteed water will not enter. There are far too many variables such as a tightly sealed charger cover and battery cover. Even then, there are MANY limitations to it.

The commercial shows:

1.) Rinsing it under a sink
2.) Spills
3.) Splashes from the pool.

Notice I said splashes from the pool and not submerged? Sure, it can be submerged to an extent but don't sit there and advise people that it's okay to do so on a day to day basis. A person may wash the phone without issue it appears. A person will survive a splash but so will most phones. A quick dunk? Okay, but not swimming with a phone. I'm not saying you're claiming all of the above but people throw that waterproof word around far too much and it's confusing to forum lurkers. IP67 Certification should only be taken as a safety net. Any exposure to water is at your own risk and Samsung will not cover it under warranty. Do not, unless you're brave and willing to risk damage, expose the device to any water unless absolutely necessary.

Lastly, watch the attitude. Just because Dacy posted from a Nokia doesn't mean that they don't have an S5. There is plenty of members here with both an Android and iPhone device. Why can't Dacy have a Nokia too?

Last edited:

Karl Thomas

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site

I finally got brave one day and tried it, it's fine, one instance water remained in the headphone jack and the phone kept implying I had headphones in, as soon as I blew air into the jack, it was fine. Hope this helps :)
Really appreciate your brave to do that.

Pwnography

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

okay awesome :) so it wont get water damage, but would it short circuit or blow something? thinking about it, plugging a headphone jack begins an electrical flow so maybe that could damage something if water gets in but im not sure.

jmatteis

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

Where are people getting confused??? This is straight from my manual, off the Canadian Samsung site.

Your device has been tested in a controlled environment and certified to be water- and dust-resistant in specific situations (meets requirements of classification IP67 as described by the international standard IEC 60529 - Degrees of Protection provided by Enclosures [IP Code]; test conditions: 15 - 35 °C, 86 - 106 kPa, 1 meter, 30 minutes). Despite this classification, your device is not impervious to water damage in any situation.
Even if they were to say waterproof, they could always have a scapegoat in that, YOU would have to prove that your cover was on tight, the plug cover was on tight, you didn't submerse it in more than 1 meter of water and not for more than 30 minutes. Too many variables that work in their favour anyhow. I would love to try some underwater shots, but also, a little worried!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Where are people getting confused??? This is straight from my manual, off the Canadian Samsung site.

Even if they were to say waterproof, they could always have a scapegoat in that, YOU would have to prove that your cover was on tight, the plug cover was on tight, you didn't submerse it in more than 1 meter of water and not for more than 30 minutes. Too many variables that work in their favour anyhow. I would love to try some underwater shots, but also, a little worried!

Thank you for clarifying my point. There is no way for us to prove all of the following held true either. The only way would be if Samsung made the device water resistant with a non-removable battery cover and a water resistant charging port with no tab.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

laura jeon

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

Just picked up my S5 from AT&T and came back to the office, everyone expecting a demonstration of me putting my phone in a glass of water...

I was completely ready to do it after watching all of the videos, but now I am not so sure after seeing the headphone jack has no cover.

For those of you who have tested it, does the headphone jack still work fine after getting wet? Does anyone know how this works?

There's Galaxy S5 and S5 Active.

Galaxy S5 is not water proof! it's water resistant.
Galaxy S5 Active is the one with water proof.

There is a big difference so be careful.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

I'm using pressy. I wonder if that will help, or just ruin the pressy

-Sent from Tapatalk

squeeze5590

May 25, 2013
Visit site

My phone jack got damaged after the rain. It kept thinking it had headphones and will not route calls to speaker or handset. Verizon is overnighting a replacement unit. The first ***** at VZW said that they don't sell the S5 Activ and that this S5 was not IP67 rated. I played for him the video demo on the phone that was playing in a loop. What a ****. He said they can send it in but guaranteed they will charge me for water damage even though the water tabs were not triggered. dumb ***. I made a big stink and I said I pay $500 a month (i do) and if you say this is not ip67 rated then I will talk to each of the 5 people looking at the S5 and ask them if they saw all the marketing and the BS that the sales guy (standing next to them) about water dust and sweat. Funny enough the GM was at the store and came up and asked if he can help, looked up my account, thanked me for my long time commitment to Verizon. He looked at the water tabs and said we will overnight a replacement. As I walked out I stated to the other manager that that tried to **** me..."you need to go back to training bud...

Rhaz Brown

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

Please can someone1 help my s5 fell into water and my multitasking button light aint coming up. What should I do

artdeguzman

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I had my S5 replaced due to ear jack water damage.

Khaled Al-Naqeeb

May 4, 2014
Visit site

I decided to use my S5 in the water park after 4 months of purchase. I made sure that the phone back and bottom covers are sealed properly. During the activities, I noticed the phone is connecting the ear phone. However, that was not a big problem since once you puff the water off it becomes fine. Once back home, I realized that the speaker is not functioning well. I used the hair dryer and after a while it became better. The next day the speaker became even louder and clearer, however, it is not like before at all. The quality of the voice was impacted a lot.

Any advise?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma