Galaxy S5: Walked out with a white one ^___^

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Went into AT&T to play with both the S5 and the M8. Both felt very nice in the hand actually. I liked the build more of the M8 obviously. However, I did not like the screen nearly as much. I used the M8 first for 15minutes, then the S5, then went back to the M8 and I immediately noticed how dull it looked comparatively. From the first time I used it it seemed fine, but after the S5 it was just so damn bland !

I also found Sense to be much more boring compared to the S5. I did like how the notification bar color changed depending on the app like blue on messaging, etc etc.

Ultimately, the water-resistance/dust, better battery, nicer screen, better camera won me over the build quality and nicer speakers.

After a few hours with the phone. It is FAST. I toned down animations to .5x and it flies. Can someone tell me how to make the S Finder and the other button to come up on the notification shade? I cant seem to figure it out.

I like the flatness of TW. I wish it was even more flat (IOS 7 nailed it and I loved it). I wished the big weather/clock widget was more different. I feel like its pictures are exactly the same as the S4 which is disappointing, I wish it was flat-esque. The plastic built is much better in person. The phone doesn't creak and I did not notice any shaking compared to what others have been saying.

BTW anyway to add app shortcuts to the lockscreen like the S4?

Last edited by a moderator:

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: Walked out with a white one ^___^

I have both devices at home at the moment (got the M8 for my wife). I also prefer the S5's screen, but not because it's more vibrant (I don't care about that - the M8 offers more accurate colors), but because the usable area is considerably bigger in the S5. As for speed: I'd say the M8 is noticeably faster. Apps load faster, the camera app is much faster (and quite laggy on the S5), the entire UI is much zippier on the M8.

Both devices feel like they weigh about the same, although the M8 is 15g heavier.

The S5 is made of plastic but it really feels quite nice and mine is well made.

Touchwiz vs. Sense is a matter of personal taste. I prefer sense, but the new TW is OK, nowhere near as hideous as the old version.

The ultimate reason why I chose the S5 is the ecosystem and the accessories available for the device. I'm one of the few people who really like the Samsung Gear 2 smart watches :)

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

trandz, the lockscreen is not editable. Some have posited that it is for security reasons relating to the FP scanner, but no one is really sure why you can't edit the lock screen.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

trandz, the lockscreen is not editable. Some have posited that it is for security reasons relating to the FP scanner, but no one is really sure why you can't edit the lock screen.

I can confirm that - that really sucks :-/ I always run Dashclock on my Android devices

xplorion

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site

Just picked up the Samsung S5 and while I was setting up apps, I lost the 1/2 screen default weather app on the home page (not lock page). Anyone know where I can find the app to reload?

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

Just picked up the Samsung S5 and while I was setting up apps, I lost the 1/2 screen default weather app on the home page (not lock page). Anyone know where I can find the app to reload?

Tap and hold on an open space on the home screen, select "widgets" at the bottom, scroll until you see the weather widget and drag it back onto the home screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463