Where is Knox on Galaxy S5?

RonaldoRiddas

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I always used knox on the note 3 for work. Now it's non existent on the s5 even though they have announces a 2.0 version.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

RonaldoRiddas

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Where is Knox on s5?????

As the company I work for, CPW, to put the email account on there requires me to set up a device password. But as I am on my phone am awful lot I have to keep unlocking my phone. I'd rather have no lock.
Through knox I can set up the CPW account which would be password protected but separate from having to enter a code every time I want to send a text check a personal email or make a call.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

As the company I work for, CPW, to put the email account on there requires me to set up a device password. But as I am on my phone am awful lot I have to keep unlocking my phone. I'd rather have no lock.
Through knox I can set up the CPW account which would be password protected but separate from having to enter a code every time I want to send a text check a personal email or make a call.

Didn't they find a security breach or something in Know a few months ago? I would stay away from it even if your using the phone for business imo

GeekNews

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

OP - which carrier are you on? It appears some carriers have disabled it yet again. I used it on my VZW GS4 and and really wish it was added in. It makes keeping work and personally stuff separate a ton easier.

RonaldoRiddas

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The phone is international unlocked. I'm using an O2 sim card, I hate the fact carriers pick and choose what they want our phones to feature! Just reading AT&T are blocking the finger swipe for PayPal too!

nottmsimon

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Just got my S5 and like you would love to use personal Knox for corprate email. Have done some digging and it seems that this limitation is Samsung linked not carrier.

From what I hear Samsung have made some changes and from the S5 onwards KNOX is only available to Enterprise customers. Licenses can be purchased directly from Samsung and then the APK will be made available to be loaded onto devices. There are no current plans to return KNOX support for any other customers. So it looks like unless your company wants to purchase the license from Samsung (or you but it yourself maybe?) you won't be able to keep using KNOX on your GALAXY S5.

mnuttall87

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Can't you guys use Touchdown for your work e-mail? Every company I've worked for has allowed it because of the security settings - the e-mail account is password protected and it sets itself up as a device administrator. It let me leave my phone unlocked/no lock screen but the company's assets were "locked" on the phone.

pserjak

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Does Touchdown have monthly fees or a one time fee? The online reviews haven't been that great.
Has anyone seen formal confirmation from Samsung, that Knox is no longer supported for free on the Galaxy S5?
If that is the case, I wish I had known....I would have kept my S4, because of Knox.

wcp17

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I did get an email from Samsung indicating that the KNOX will be released on the S5 with the next firmware update coming out. Unforturnately, they didn't say when. I also asked if it was possible to load the KNOX 1.0 version and didn't get a response on that either. I tried sideloading it, but that didn't work. I'm currently using an app called Nine - Exchange ActiveSync which works almost the same except you don't have a completely different home screen and your work calendar is merged with your personal calendar. But you can set it up so that if your company had to wipe the phone, it will only affect the contents in the app. It will cost $9.99 for the full version, but you can try it free for 2 weeks. It has pretty good reviews and not bad at all.

Last edited:

PolarBear8

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Just got my S5 and like you would love to use personal Knox for corprate email. Have done some digging and it seems that this limitation is Samsung linked not carrier.

From what I hear Samsung have made some changes and from the S5 onwards KNOX is only available to Enterprise customers. Licenses can be purchased directly from Samsung and then the APK will be made available to be loaded onto devices. There are no current plans to return KNOX support for any other customers. So it looks like unless your company wants to purchase the license from Samsung (or you but it yourself maybe?) you won't be able to keep using KNOX on your GALAXY S5.

So my S5 is not an exterprise edition (i.e. it is mine not a companies), does this mean that knox won't interfere with or cause problems with my rooting the phone ?

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So my S5 is not an exterprise edition (i.e. it is mine not a companies), does this mean that knox won't interfere with or cause problems with my rooting the phone ?
When I use the Application Manager under all Apps I see Knox Knox, Notification Manager, and KLMS agent. Looks to me like you just need the APK for the front end so you can use it.
I wanted to use the Samsung APP Store and noticed the same thing, The App Store showed in the Application Manager but not in the App Draw so I looked around and found an APK for the App Store front end that would show in the App Draw...sideloaded it and all is fine.

I did one quick search for Knox APK and got many hits.
The following may be one way to use it. Do a few searches and a few trials and I'm sure you will have knox working.
Keep Your Android Device’s Data Safe With Samsung KNOX

GeekNews

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Generally with the App store if the app itself isn't already installed once you visit Samsungapps.com you'll be instructed to download it. KNOX is there, even on the GS4 GS3 Note 2 ect that has been updated. As you mentioned though it is just the backbone for enterprise support. It isn't the front end consumer side of things.

@Polarbear8 - there is no "enterprise edition" per-say, KNOX is loaded in the background on all newer Galaxy devices. Just as mentioned not the front end that consumers can see. So to answer your question, NO. The security features that are associated with blocking root are still there no matter what. There are however work arounds.

wickdaman

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I always used knox on the note 3 for work. Now it's non existent on the s5 even though they have announces a 2.0 version.

Hi mate, I too work for CPW and am experiencing the same issue with using KNOX on the GALAXY S5.

Previously, I had the Note 3 but didn't think anything of it when I HEARD I could get KNOX on the S5. Private Mode seems to be the closest thing to KNOX, but doesn't have the ability to lock your email account into it or place things into a container.

Hopefully we'll see a lovely update come out that'll give us KNOX!

EDIT: I've since been in contact with the Samsung KNOX Team. See the pic!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-05-18-26-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-05-18-26-10.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

RonaldoRiddas

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
So it's through firmware update, and we all know how quick Sammy are at fw updates haha!

Cheers wickdaman very helpful!

Sent from my SM-G900F using AC Forums mobile app

PolarBear8

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
The security features that are associated with blocking root are still there no matter what. There are however work arounds.

Can you please point me in that direction.

When I bought the S5 I was going to try real hard not to root it but as I go along I find that I want to root this phone too. So much bloatware and limitations it irritates me to no end.