10-25-2017 07:50 AM
67 123
tools
    I think I figured it out!! I have a Galaxy S4 and Sprint. With Sprint, we have the dubious advantage of paying for a voice-to-text account. The service doesn't work very well (I tried the free trial), so I don't use it. However, the app still saves the voice mails I receive. Apparently when its inbox gets full (150 voice mails), it can't download any more voice messages, and the icon appears on the phone! I deleted all of the saved messages, and voila! the notification disappeared. I hope this works for everyone! Enjoy!
    05-20-2014 10:07 AM
    I just bought my S5 over the weekend (It's now Wednesday) and I've had this notification since the night I bought it. I've tried everything and it won't clear. I do not have the text voicemail problems as all of mine are deleted. I am also using Sprint. Did anyone find a perm. fix for this yet???
    05-28-2014 02:41 PM
    thank you worked a treat
    JoAnnSchlott likes this.
    06-04-2014 12:43 PM
    AT&T Fixed:

I've had this issue with my AT&T s5 since day one. I always used google voice to manage my voicemails. Before I was able to set it up on the s5, I received 1 voicemail via AT&Ts mailbox service. I called my voicemail, deleted the messages, and then set up google voice. The voicemail notifications did not go away. I removed every voicemail from google voice and verified there were no voicemails when I called the mailbox.

When I called AT&T they reset my voicemail and reset my voicemail notifications. They verified that I was set up for visual voicemail and told me to factory reset my phone. I told them no and to open a possible pug report. Once I got off the phone I wondered it the visual voicemail was the kicker. I never used it, I just called the mailbox and hit 7 to delete everything.

I turned out that my s5 did not shipped with AT&Ts visual voicemail app. I downloaded the app off the playstore and configured it to manage my voicemail, just like you would with google voice. When the app loaded, there was the voicemail. I deleted it from the app and the notification went away. I uninstalled the visual voicemail app and reconfigured google voice. I haven't had an issue with it since.

Other carriers have a similar visual voicemail app. Check out there website, verifiy what the app is, and verify the app is installed on your phone. Set it up and delete away. It worked for me, maybe it will work for you. Hope this helps.
    06-12-2014 08:59 AM
    Im with AT&T and have NEVER had this problem.. not on my s5 or on my current s5Active. I use AT&T's visual voicemail app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...le.android.vvm

use this app to clear out your messages and then you can delete it if you like.. this should fix your problems on AT&T at least..
    06-12-2014 02:49 PM
    i had to delete the voicemail icon on my screen. If I pressed it, it just called my cellphone and said it was not a valid verizon number. No matter how many times I deleted my cell number from the contacts list in voicemail it would just revert back no matter what. So i just got rid of the icon and press #86 instead.
    06-13-2014 12:25 AM
    Having same problem. Galaxy S5 several months old. Verizon network. Google Voice is my preferred voicemail, and I *think* all of the messages I've received were called to my GV number (not my Verizon number).
    A couple of weeks ago I started getting these random voicemail notifications. It says I have 10 voicemails now. I go into GV and I have no new messages.
    Have rebooted phone, etc.
    When this started, it was not in the vicinity of me installing anything new; but I do have auto-updates to most apps in Google Play.

Update: As I recall, it may have started right after that last update to the Google Voice android app.
    06-20-2014 01:43 PM
    Hi everyone!

My wife figured this problem out. We both just got our GS5s today and we both had the same problem. We tried everything including the hard reset. She even turned off the notifications just so it would not annoy her. She tried to clear the data which was a temporary fix.

To skip to the good part, here is the clue.
    If you long press on the notification a menu comes up "App Info". That shows you which app is making the notification. When she did that she was surprised to see that it was not the Voice-mail app rather it was the Phone app. She cleared the data on the Phone app and the notification is gone forever! It does not come back after rebooting.

This worked for me as well and I hope it helps others too. She is not an expert computer user but she tries things I would not think of.

I am glad she's my wife! :-)
    katesch likes this.
    06-20-2014 09:43 PM
    LoveMy...

Thanks! I think you're on to something. Unfortunately we're still missing another puzzle piece.

I tried clearing my Phone (the "Phone" app on my Android) data. FYI for anyone else groping about for it, this is in:
    Settings > Storage > Applications > Phone.

Didn't fix it. Later today I got another phantom voicemail notice. Damn.

Then I followed your wife's test. I looked at the voicemail alert, long-pressed it... and on my phone, it points to Contacts (not to Phone, as yours did).

Contacts? Really??

I'm afraid to Clear Data on my Contacts! I supposed I could back up my Gmail contacts, then try Clearing Data on my phone, and then restore them in Gmail... Any thoughts, anyone?
    06-23-2014 12:40 PM
    Go to settings.... Language and input... Notification readout then unchecked all... Enjoy
    06-28-2014 05:21 PM
    Ok I too had the same issue, actually returned the phone and BOOM it happened again....after spending 3 hours in the store and getting the Samsung rep involved this is what we did....Now I have a sprint phone so not sure about other carriers but with Sprint their is a Voicemail app that comes on the phone. You have to follow these steps....

1. Do a hard reset on phone - be sure to back up everything because it will set the phone back to factory settings
    2. Don't set anything up don't click any icons just let the phone boot up
    3. Then go to the Voicemail APP and it will have new messages in it to welcome you to that service DELETE THEM
    4. Boom the icon goes away and I have successfully restarted my phone and everything and it has stayed away....

Hope that helps.
    Do you do a hard reset on the S5 like you do the iPhone ?
    06-28-2014 05:28 PM
    I am having the same issue. Five year old Galaxy Brilliant with Bell. I have no voice mail to clear, and the message icon will not go away. Tried all the tips posted here? Will be calling my carrier as I don't think it is the phone, I think it is a service provider glitch.
    07-05-2014 07:53 AM
    I was having the same problem. Not sure how many of you were in the same boat as me: I recently used the old "swap phone/upgrade" deal. Meaning, I very briefly activated this phone on one of my other lines. So, my first instinct was that the voice mail notifications were from that line. So I cleared both, just to be safe. Wouldn't you know it, that line had the same amount of voicemails as the notification icon. But after doing so, the notifications were still there anyway. Then I remembered that is probably because the phone is no longer tied to that line, so it's not getting the "message" that the voice mails have been cleared. So I figured, pop the sim card out, turn on phone. When it asks for sim card, put it back in and turn on. .....PROBLEM SOLVED! Have not gotten the notification since. Hope it works for all of you too.
    07-07-2014 08:40 AM
    I'm on VZW and I just started having that problem last week. I have had the phone since April, am rooted. I have no idea why this is happening all of a sudden tho.

I have force closed the phone app several times, but the icon still pops up after a few hours.
    08-12-2014 06:37 PM
    leave yourself a message wait 1 minute...delete it and presto
    newsamsunguser likes this.
    09-08-2014 10:20 PM
    I got this issue recently on my Note 3 about 2 weeks after switching from Verizon to Cricket. Similar to an above poster, I installed the Cricket voice mail app and after a couple of minutes a message showed up. I deleted it and uninstalled the app. Problem solved. I didn't even have to reconfigure Google Voice as my voice mail service afterwards.
    09-11-2014 07:13 AM
    I know what the resolutiion will be , 1st : SETTINGS- APPS - LOOK FOR AN ICON THAT IS THE PHONE (IT JUST SAYS TELEPHONE , IT COULD BE BLUE OR GREEN MOST OF THE TIME)- THEN WHEN YOU GET THE PHONE APP IT SHOULD BE IN THE RUNNIG APPS- THEN OPEN IT AND CLEAR DATA FOR THE APP AND FORCE STOP ,,, ..... ISSUE RESOLVED
    09-15-2014 08:26 PM
    I know what the resolutiion will be , 1st : SETTINGS- APPS - LOOK FOR AN ICON THAT IS THE PHONE (IT JUST SAYS TELEPHONE , IT COULD BE BLUE OR GREEN MOST OF THE TIME)- THEN WHEN YOU GET THE PHONE APP IT SHOULD BE IN THE RUNNIG APPS- THEN OPEN IT AND CLEAR DATA FOR THE APP AND FORCE STOP ,,, ..... ISSUE RESOLVED
    09-15-2014 08:26 PM
    Did the phone app Clear data thing but it's back
    10-20-2014 08:56 PM
    Guys! I've figured it out! It's a lot simpler than we think: call yourself from a landline, leave a message, and then check your voicemail from your s5 and delete the message.

Being one of those OCD people that hates when people don't check notifications, this was a huge relief for me! Try it out
    10-23-2014 09:20 AM
    Thank you! Clearing Phone App data did it for me. It no longer shows up on reboot.

Hi everyone!

My wife figured this problem out. We both just got our GS5s today and we both had the same problem. We tried everything including the hard reset. She even turned off the notifications just so it would not annoy her. She tried to clear the data which was a temporary fix.

To skip to the good part, here is the clue.
    If you long press on the notification a menu comes up "App Info". That shows you which app is making the notification. When she did that she was surprised to see that it was not the Voice-mail app rather it was the Phone app. She cleared the data on the Phone app and the notification is gone forever! It does not come back after rebooting.

This worked for me as well and I hope it helps others too. She is not an expert computer user but she tries things I would not think of.

I am glad she's my wife! :-)
    10-28-2014 07:36 AM
    Ok people this has append to me several times on different phones.

You can hold the notification for about 3 seconds and it would take you to a menu "app info" where you can click force stop; it might say something like it might cause errors but just click ok. That would take care of it.
    10-30-2014 01:37 PM
    This happens to me, also...with a Galaxy S5 on Verizon. Just about ready to take a hammer to it...
    11-06-2014 09:14 AM
    I had this issue after an update I did about 2 months ago. I've never liked visual voicemail sk I completely deleted it from my account when I was at a Verizon store. That solved the constant text messages and 1 notification. Then I was still having issues with the icon hanging when no messages were in my box at all. I went in again and they didn't have a fix. However they did send in a report with my sim no. Also prior to my second visit i had turned the voicemail notification off and that didn't work either. After about a 3rd visit and the report was filed plus an dditional 3 days it disappeared and I've not had another faulty notification. I'm not sure if the patched the update or not but it's no longer a problem. I fixated on sk it annoyed me way more than it should have so I feel all your pain. My advice is if you've had this problem and don't use visual voicemail go in and ask for it to be removed, it's free so you can't stop it without visiting the store. The voicemail notifications turn them off to start if that doesn't help you then I'd visit the store and report the problem who knows they may have a quick fix the "techs" can "help" you with.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-06-2014 11:44 AM
    GOT IT!!

Go to Notifications (drop down menu)->hold the notification that indicates you have VM->a pop up saying "App Info" will appear, click-> click delete data on phone app menu, dont worry, your contacts are separate. Boom. You clean.
    11-07-2014 01:03 PM
67 123