S5: Compatibility and advisability on using a 3rd party launcher like the Nova Launcher

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi All:

I've had most of the flagship phones, i.e S3, S4, and now, the S5. I've never used a launcher before because the Samsung overlay has been actually useful for me. It seemed smooth, handy, and generally pleasant to use, good to have.

Of course, like many, i lament the high internal memory usage/hogging of the Samsung overlay, but still, it's there, it seemed like a "good thing" that Samsung had put together in order to differentiate itself from other brands' Android phones. (except the high memory usage "cost")

Now, seeing that some others have talked about using a 3rd party launcher like the Nova Launcher (or another launcher), i'm wondering if it would be smart to use one of them to try to customize my new S5, or, considering how much additional complexity this 3rd party launcher would add to my phone, it might be just asking for trouble?

Since i have zero experience using any 3rd party launchers, and have always only used the stock Samsung overlay, i'd like to seek the advice of the good folks here with experience with 3rd party launchers, especially vis-a-vis the S5. With such a well developed Samsung overlay as the one we have on the S5, would it be silly to add additional complexity to it? Or, am i mistaken and there really is no genuine downsides to using a 3rd party launcher?

Thanks in advance.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Using a good 3rd party launcher won't slow your phone down or make the UI more difficult to use. I've always put launchers on my Samsung devices. I suggest Nova or Action launcher. Both look nice, support icon packs, and gestures to launch apps or activities.

Sent from my G2 running PAC-ROM

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
In my formers android phones and my current G2 I always use 3rd party launchers. Always bought prime paid versions; Next Launcher 3D Shell, TSF Shell 3D, SPD Shell 3D, Action Launcher Pro, GO Launcher Prime, (Apex, ADW prime versions), Nova Prime. Funny thing, my favorite is free; Holo Launcher HD. Go and try out the free versions of some launchers at Google Play Store. If you like one go for the prime paid version of it. Right now I'm waiting for the release of the Galaxy S5 32GB at AT&T, as soon I bought it I will using Holo Launcher HD on my S5.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk