09-02-2017 01:00 PM
86 1234
    I was having issues up until recently. I recently took my router back to my provider and they gave me a new one, which actually was a newer router. The router actually runs dual 2.4GHz and 5.4GHz, and my phone can connect to the 5.4GHz most of the time in my home, if not I can switch back to the 2.4GHz. But overall my speeds are higher and more consistent on the 2.4, they push about 40mps which is good in my apparent building with all the other networks running. However on the 5GHz I have actually pulled speeds topping out at 92mps a few times, but consistently runs over 60mps at least. My internet is a 100mps max speed service.
    05-22-2014 12:52 AM
    My S5 looks like it gets stuck between 4G and WiFi. It happens at home and just walking down the street. At that point it won't browse, gets hot, and sucks battery dry fast. My office seems OK, so it does not appear to be a consistent problem. Or maybe I'm just luckier than others and my problem is not ubiquitous.

Phones are supposed to move gracefully between mobile data and Wi-Fi and have been doing it for years. It will become even more important in the future if Hotspot 2.0 gets traction. It looks like the phone has a hysteresis problem between WiFi and mobile data. As someone pointed out elsewhere, it could occur where only weaker WiFi signals are present - which is much of the urbanized world, so it's a big problem.

I had a live chat with Samsung today and explained the situation. I told them to Google Galaxy S5 Wi-Fi problems to see what's going on. They came back and said they don't have any reports of problems. Yeah, right. Typical manufacturer answer. What they mean is they don't have any reports of customer problems that they care about fixing. Must be nice to be the king of smartphones. I have not tried wifi-fixer http://www.appsapk.com/wifi-fixer-app/ yet, but that's my next step. Any other ideas are welcome. Unless I figure it out the issue, I'll probably return the s5 in favor of an HTC One.
    05-22-2014 08:55 AM
    Anyone else having wifi issues? The phone is super fast on the 4g, but when I go to wifi it constantly drops or will be throttled down to a snails pace. It intermittently works fine. Happens on my home wifi while all my other devices work fine, including an s2 and a nexus 7. Any help would be appreciated or if anyone else is having this issue so I know I'm not alone!
    I have just had issues connecting to wifi and solved the problem by changing my routers network mode to MIXED using the setup page at connection very fast and the router is ancient a Linksys WAG54G2.

Tried the wifi analyser just slowed my phone down and didn't really help.

Also tried adjusting DHCP to static in advanced wifi settings on the phone. Do this by first forgetting the connection and click advanced tab to edit settings. Remember to retype in the UP address of your router or it won't give you the option to press the reconnect button.

Also the option if you click settings on the wifi options page to direct link to a device as a work round. Follow instructions from your phone and this may work for some.

didn't try changing the security settings from WEP to WAS or WAP2. just remember to alter the password for all the devices you have connected to your router or this may give you a head ache with no devices connecting. Easy to go back and change by hooking a LAW able to router afterwards.

Hope you get it working like me and enjoy this great device!
    05-31-2014 12:19 PM
    I finally fixed the wifi problem on my S5! Just go to settings/power saving/ Power saving mode/ Restrict performance and uncheck all options. Good luck!!
    05-31-2014 11:23 PM
    I finally fixed the wifi problem on my S5! Just go to settings/power saving/ Power saving mode/ Restrict performance and uncheck all options. Good luck!!
    Good advice, but not everyone is using power saving modes. Mine is off, and had been of, still having some issues.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    06-01-2014 07:56 PM
    I had a problem with my phone not connecting to WiFi at all for a few days. I don't know what I did to it but after about a week it just kind of worked. Maybe it's just a small glitch? Hopefully it gets better and if not everyone seems to recommend wiping the phone :|
    06-03-2014 01:15 PM
    Same here. Have you had any luck fixing this issue?
    06-13-2014 04:00 PM
    For some reason my S5 had picked up an IP address that was in use by another device on my network. I don't know if this is a router problem or an S5 problem. However by switching to static and picking a new IP address I was able to start using my home wifi again.
    06-23-2014 10:13 PM
    My wife and I are now both having wifi issues. We both have S5 actives from AT&T and when connected to any wifi (we have experienced this with 3 different wifi's) our wifi will not only cut out, but the 4G doesn't pickup the slack and we get disconnected from games (clash of clans, hay day) and sometimes web pages need to be reloaded. We both have the selection checked that supposedly offers seamless internet by using 4G/3G if wifi fails, but that obviously isn't working. We are still within our 14 day exchange period and it is starting to get to the point where I am considering exchanging them for M8's, but ONLY because of this wifi issue.

Is this likely a hardware issue that a phone replacement will alleviate (I am hesitant as BOTH of our phones show the symptoms, hers worse than mine as it will disconnect 5-6 times in a half hour) or is this a software issue that will be fixed somewhere down the road with an update?

Btw I have reset our phones, checked all of the wifi settings, as well as reset the modem, which is a very new model by Cisco through Comcast, and checked that we are on the best channel via wifi analyzer (although I still don't see how you can change channels, but the one we are on is good luckily).
    06-24-2014 10:38 AM
    I tried what you posted, so far so good.

Thanks For Your help
    07-03-2014 07:15 PM
    I'm having some problem. I don't know how to resolve that issue.
    07-07-2014 12:31 PM
    I ended up doing a factory reset of my router. That cleared the entire user list as well as the router wifi settings & resulted in my router being able to communicate properly with my new S5's alongside my old devices. Its worth a shot if all else fails.

07-11-2014 09:56 PM
    if i change the ip to static it will not let me connect !!
    and where is the save button ?!
    PLEASE help !!
    07-18-2014 04:41 PM
    I took someones advice below and changed the setting to static. What I don't know is how this will impact other connections whilst out and about. Was working absolutely fine until recently but have no idea what's changed.
    07-25-2014 08:22 AM
    refer to
    the Concept of handling the problem is the same but owing to different platforms the way to addressed the problem but slightly differs. So search a way how to Hardreset your phone using some keys of ur phone and then have wififxr app then follow the same method as is given on the link
    08-23-2014 08:03 AM
    Hey thanks so much! This is exactly my problem and I tried what you mentioned and for the last 45 minutes it's been fine! I'm hoping it stays this way. I'll check back in, but wanted to say thanks !
    i used to have problem with wifi after unlocking my phone but this actually helped me!!!
    09-01-2014 06:28 PM
    Over the past week I have started to have issues with wifi not working in all applications. Email in particular. My phone is connected just fine to the Wireless Access Point in my house and I have at least 4 bars on LTE. Verified it from the AP itself and even the phone is indicating full signal but if I try to get my email to sync it will just tell me sync failed no network. I can go right to opening a browser and it will work with no problems. I have tried multiple email clients from the standard droid on my S5 to outlook and even Blue Mail. All have the same issue. If I go under settings and more networks and switch network mode off of global to GSM/UMTS (which is my case turns off the radio since I am on a LTE/CDMA provider) all of a sudden my email will sync with no issue over wifi. This problem seems to be some sort of problem with the switching between mobile radio and the wifi radio in certain applications.

Anyone else notice this scenario or of a fix to this scenario?

Also wifi fixer did nothing to resolve the issue since it appears to be an issue with certain apps trying to determine whether to use mobile network radio or wifi radio.
    09-08-2014 11:23 AM
    Download the app wifi connection manager
    09-10-2014 08:35 AM
    I just got my Galaxy S5 the other day. After I charge my phone the first time and try to set up and download all the apps I need on my phone for my business the phone heat up really bad and I can feel the heat on my fingertips when I touch the screen and when I open facebook, instagram and other by using the Wifi it try to download for ever and never finished.

Because the heat issue I took it back to Verizon shop and they change me the new phone and told me that I don't have enough memory on my phone that why it slow and the phone should not heat up that much. It's really hot if I only use for 10-15 minutes. Because they suggest me that I don't have enough space on my phone and I should buy more memory card. I bought SD card 16 GB and put on my phone now I still have the same issue when I use Wifi. I try to change the setting but still no luck at all.

I use most of my phone for business on all the apps I mentioned. Can you please advice what I should do? I use a lot of Wifi at home for my phone. Should I go back and Replace and upgrade to Iphone 6?

Mahalo for your time and help,
    09-27-2014 10:52 AM
    I use a lot of WiFi on my phone and it has never gotten hot enough to even notice it.

I do not use a lot of apps that require constant data transfer back and forth.
    No games, no streaming music or video.

I'm a tech type guy and do a lot of research, read newspapers, forums, etc... most of that is text related and the transfer load is minimal.

Make sure that you don't have multiple apps running in the background. Social apps use a lot of power, turn off the sync on those, and their notifications. It made a lot of difference when I dumbed down Facebook so that it will ONLY update when I open the app.
    09-27-2014 11:23 AM
    I'm having the same issues on two S5's. Tried the suggestions here and still had the problem. Then I disable the Samsung Wireless Link (SWL) on my Samsung TV (which was creating a very strong access point on the same channel as my wifi) and the problem seems to have improved. See more on this topic by googling "SEC_Linkshare".
    10-06-2014 06:29 AM
    Did you ever find a solution? I have a new S5 and it's only on my home wifi that my download speed is .05mb while other devices on the same network are all > 10MB (802.11b). The S5 is fine on other networks; work, free public, etc... ???
    10-15-2014 09:39 AM
    I have the EXACT same issue when connect to my Enterprise Network at work using PEAP. It'll connect for a moment at full speed, then a few seconds later it'll drop to 72 Mbps, then 52 Mbps.....until it finally hits 6Mbps and is usable. This is the ONLY device on the network having the issues and other Android devices connected to that same AP (Nexus 5, Motorola X, etc) are seeing no issues at all. My iPhone 5S also never had this issue.

They really need to fix this issue. I'm outside of my 14-day return window, but if this isn't fixed soon, I'll be buying out half my Next contract and upgrading early. This is the last phone I'll ever purchase from Samsung.
    10-17-2014 01:31 PM
    Try moving the phone farther away from your wireless router and see if the connection problem and/or performance issue goes away. My S5 couldn't connect and kept saying the network was out of range even though my note 2 worked fine. After moving around 20 feet away, it was able to connect. There may be some kind of problem with the S5 wifi not being able to handle a signal that's too strong. You could also try lowering the transmit power on your wifi router.
    10-17-2014 10:26 PM
    i am having this issue - and nothing seems to fix it. please assist. i dont know what to do. i have tried every option found - turn off, turn off remove battery, turn off remove battery take out sim, forget wifi stored, try to put wifi advanced to static. nothing is working. at&t is charging me for data whenever i cannot connect to my home wifi. every other device has no issue. only this samsung galaxy s5 that i own.
    10-19-2014 12:04 AM
86 1234