Galaxy S5: Wifi issues

Mefistos

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey thanks so much! This is exactly my problem and I tried what you mentioned and for the last 45 minutes it's been fine! I'm hoping it stays this way. I'll check back in, but wanted to say thanks !

i used to have problem with wifi after unlocking my phone but this actually helped me!!!

raptor1418

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Over the past week I have started to have issues with wifi not working in all applications. Email in particular. My phone is connected just fine to the Wireless Access Point in my house and I have at least 4 bars on LTE. Verified it from the AP itself and even the phone is indicating full signal but if I try to get my email to sync it will just tell me sync failed no network. I can go right to opening a browser and it will work with no problems. I have tried multiple email clients from the standard droid on my S5 to outlook and even Blue Mail. All have the same issue. If I go under settings and more networks and switch network mode off of global to GSM/UMTS (which is my case turns off the radio since I am on a LTE/CDMA provider) all of a sudden my email will sync with no issue over wifi. This problem seems to be some sort of problem with the switching between mobile radio and the wifi radio in certain applications.

Anyone else notice this scenario or of a fix to this scenario?

Also wifi fixer did nothing to resolve the issue since it appears to be an issue with certain apps trying to determine whether to use mobile network radio or wifi radio.

Janjira Rities

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Aloha,
I just got my Galaxy S5 the other day. After I charge my phone the first time and try to set up and download all the apps I need on my phone for my business the phone heat up really bad and I can feel the heat on my fingertips when I touch the screen and when I open facebook, instagram and other by using the Wifi it try to download for ever and never finished.

Because the heat issue I took it back to Verizon shop and they change me the new phone and told me that I don't have enough memory on my phone that why it slow and the phone should not heat up that much. It's really hot if I only use for 10-15 minutes. Because they suggest me that I don't have enough space on my phone and I should buy more memory card. I bought SD card 16 GB and put on my phone now I still have the same issue when I use Wifi. I try to change the setting but still no luck at all.

I use most of my phone for business on all the apps I mentioned. Can you please advice what I should do? I use a lot of Wifi at home for my phone. Should I go back and Replace and upgrade to Iphone 6?

Mahalo for your time and help,
Janjira

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I use a lot of WiFi on my phone and it has never gotten hot enough to even notice it.

I do not use a lot of apps that require constant data transfer back and forth.
No games, no streaming music or video.

I'm a tech type guy and do a lot of research, read newspapers, forums, etc... most of that is text related and the transfer load is minimal.

Make sure that you don't have multiple apps running in the background. Social apps use a lot of power, turn off the sync on those, and their notifications. It made a lot of difference when I dumbed down Facebook so that it will ONLY update when I open the app.

brainpudding

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issues on two S5's. Tried the suggestions here and still had the problem. Then I disable the Samsung Wireless Link (SWL) on my Samsung TV (which was creating a very strong access point on the same channel as my wifi) and the problem seems to have improved. See more on this topic by googling "SEC_Linkshare".

W Musser

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Did you ever find a solution? I have a new S5 and it's only on my home wifi that my download speed is .05mb while other devices on the same network are all > 10MB (802.11b). The S5 is fine on other networks; work, free public, etc... ???

brobertsleo

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have the EXACT same issue when connect to my Enterprise Network at work using PEAP. It'll connect for a moment at full speed, then a few seconds later it'll drop to 72 Mbps, then 52 Mbps.....until it finally hits 6Mbps and is usable. This is the ONLY device on the network having the issues and other Android devices connected to that same AP (Nexus 5, Motorola X, etc) are seeing no issues at all. My iPhone 5S also never had this issue.

They really need to fix this issue. I'm outside of my 14-day return window, but if this isn't fixed soon, I'll be buying out half my Next contract and upgrading early. This is the last phone I'll ever purchase from Samsung.

rrhi

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Try moving the phone farther away from your wireless router and see if the connection problem and/or performance issue goes away. My S5 couldn't connect and kept saying the network was out of range even though my note 2 worked fine. After moving around 20 feet away, it was able to connect. There may be some kind of problem with the S5 wifi not being able to handle a signal that's too strong. You could also try lowering the transmit power on your wifi router.

thefish325

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
i am having this issue - and nothing seems to fix it. please assist. i dont know what to do. i have tried every option found - turn off, turn off remove battery, turn off remove battery take out sim, forget wifi stored, try to put wifi advanced to static. nothing is working. at&t is charging me for data whenever i cannot connect to my home wifi. every other device has no issue. only this samsung galaxy s5 that i own.

Bennett Smith

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same issue. I just upgraded to the S5 and it wouldn't connect to the wifi that I'm using on my laptop. It would save the settings and password, but would not connect. I read on another post to turn off the phone, remove the sim card, reinsert the sim card, and restart. This worked for me, it immediately connected to the router. Hope this helps.

kindshrimp

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Guys I just signed in to post this. Turn off your Bluetooth and wifi for about a minute, then turn back your wifi then It should work. Seems like frequency between wifi and Bluetooth were fighting for signal. Hope this works.

Bob31464

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Guys I just signed in to post this. Turn off your Bluetooth and wifi for about a minute, then turn back your wifi then It should work. Seems like frequency between wifi and Bluetooth were fighting for signal. Hope this works.

That is very maddening. My Bluetooth has been working just fine and as of yesterday my S5 has been having a problem staying on wifi, now I've discovered that they don't play together anymore? What the...happened and how do I fix it? I work out of my house and use my Bluetooth all day, I need both.

Posted via the Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
That is very maddening. My Bluetooth has been working just fine and as of yesterday my S5 has been having a problem staying on wifi, now I've discovered that they don't play together anymore? What the...happened and how do I fix it? I work out of my house and use my Bluetooth all day, I need both.

Turn the bluetooth off, then turn it back ON after the WiFi is up and running.

I also use BT headsets, a lot.

Bob31464

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I've tried that, it helped for little bit then it start dropping the wifi again. Now it's to the point that they won't work at the same time. This is very frustrating. It only happens with the wifi, 4G is fine. Btw, the bluetooth always works it's the wifi that cuts out.

Bob31464

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, after trying many different suggestions, the only thing that worked was a full reset. Hopefully that'll be the end of it.

synergywizard

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Same issue started yesterday after a trip to the Mobility store for a lesson. I am on Telus. This is annoying tried a battery removal. Will try the bluetooth turn off trick now.

Bob31464

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Synergywizard, I hope you have better luck with that than I did, as I said before, the only thing that worked for me was a factory reset, but it is working like a champ now.

anon(9161370)

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi - I just wondered how it's been since you factory reset it - it's been a few days now?

Also have you been using both bluetooth and wifi since the reset?

Cheers

Bob31464

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi - I just wondered how it's been since you factory reset it - it's been a few days now?

Also have you been using both bluetooth and wifi since the reset?

Cheers

It's working great. Whatever was causing the problem has been taken care of, I hope:).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08