Deleted emails reappear

sweetinabug

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello, moving from iphone 5 to S5. I set up my email accounts to the native s5 mailbox. All the emails I delete keep coming back! I'm not sure what's going on but it's very frustrating. Please help.

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Well you need to go to the Email settings>Incoming server and change the delete email from server to when I delete from inbox, Now when the email is deleted on your device inbox it gets deleted from the server to.

sweetinabug

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Well you need to go to the Email settings>Incoming server and change the delete email from server to when I delete from inbox, Now when the email is deleted on your device inbox it gets deleted from the server to.
Thanks for the reply. I tried to change the settings, that option doesn't come up for me. I'm using IMAP if that makes a difference.

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I tried to change the settings, that option doesn't come up for me. I'm using IMAP if that makes a difference.

Well, as far as I know the settings is almost the same ! search for the incoming server settings under the email settings !!:eek: In the mean time I'll try to do the same in my device and let you know how to do that !!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I've used this setting on a Comcast.net email and it doesn't delete my inbox. I would use the Xfinity app but I don't want it to ever auto update but its max update is every hour...

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

tomadamsphoto

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue with my Outlook emails. I had to change the settings on my Outlook settings and give my device permission to delete messages.

Posted via Android Central App

sweetinabug

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much for the replies. I'd like to know, are you guys using POP or IMAP?
(I can get the options to show up in POP but not IMAP).

mthibideau

May 1, 2014
Visit site
My S5 also has issues where deleted emails reappear, and emails do not show as "read" although the server reflects "read" status. I have four email accounts using IMAP and I do not have any issues in MS Outlook 2013, Samsung Galaxy tab 3, nor on my previous Motorola phone. All four email accounts are set up for allowing delete on servers and my problems only exist on certain email accounts in the Galaxy S5. Sync is set to push on all accounts, I have tried interval at 15 minutes also.

My two gmail accounts are both working OK now after rebuilding them yesterday on the phone. They were not reflecting read mail prior to yesterday.

My yahoo account will not reflect messages as read. For example right now, the web, outlook and tab 3 all show 2 unread emails in my yahoo account the phone shows 57 unread emails since my last clean up. Nothing will convert to read unless I open it on the phone. The yahoo server config options don't include IMAP and only allow POP or forwarding which makes no sense. I pay yahoo $20 extra per year so I have IMAP and it works on all devices except the S5.

My GoDaddy account does not reflect a mail as "read" unless I open it on the phone.

I had another issue with deleting messages on the phone and having them reappear, but this issue seems to have resolved itself (too good to be true, but they are staying off today).

Any advice? I have tried everything I know as an IMAP user for many years. Is it me or is it the S5?

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I think it's more of a latency issue than a bug or setting.

If you fast-delete a message and then close out of the app before the server get's the instruction, it'll just stay in your Inbox.

I have 5 Email accounts loaded into my "Combined Inbox" and sometimes if I zip through fast deleting junk Emails and close out, the server doesn't get the instruction fast enough and just leaves it there.

Col Beardmore

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi new to the forum,

I have exact same issue with a new S5. It works well with POP accounts but I have two Gmail and it is a nightmare. Randomly? it picks on some emails and just keeps reloading them into the inbox after I delete them (they also appear many times in the recycle bin showing i have tried to delete them before). The Gmail accounts are set are set up as IMAP, also there is no place (that I can find) to ask to delete messages off the server? I am ready to throw this phone at the wall!

BTW if I can find out how to 'delete off the server' does that also mean when my P/C syncs to the Gmail account the emails will be gone and wont get to the P/C where I store them for future reference?

Thanks

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
It is not the phone, it is the email app which I found severely limited.

I turned it off, and installed MyMail.

All better now. Will handle multiple email accounts with ease.

Mike Hansen2

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem. Here's the fix. You have your email accounts entered in your S5 as IMAP. Go to Settings, EMAIL, Accounts. Delete the account. Re-enter the account with User Name and Password, and press MANUAL and POP3. On the next window, scroll to the bottom and toggle the Delete to Server from NEVER to DELETE TO SERVER. Continue the process with your other settings and you're in business.

digitalfreaknyc

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem as well. It's a problem with the generic email app in the phone. I did what was suggested by Mike Hanson2 and it still didn't work. I changed over to K9 and am not looking back. Syncs perfectly.

novasquid

May 5, 2014
Visit site
my wife had this issue with her phone, and resolved it by swiping left on an email in the inbox then selecting delete. if she used the checkboxes to select then delete, the emails would always reappear.

Nabil Rougui

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Guys I tried Mike Hansen2 advice, and it worked, I verified it with my email account open and it worked, I have a videotron account and the only thing that helped was the pop3.
If this did not work, you will have to delete your email account from the S5 and enter it again, and follow the steps, I'm sure it will work.
Thanks Mike Hansen2

fleckrj

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem. Here's the fix. You have your email accounts entered in your S5 as IMAP. Go to Settings, EMAIL, Accounts. Delete the account. Re-enter the account with User Name and Password, and press MANUAL and POP3. On the next window, scroll to the bottom and toggle the Delete to Server from NEVER to DELETE TO SERVER. Continue the process with your other settings and you're in business.
When I try this, I cannot receive mail from my AT&T e-mail account. AT&T is IMAP, and not POP3. If I do a manual configuration, say it is POP3, and then manually change the server settings to imap.mail.att.net and the port to 993, it still cannot download my mail.

It is interesting that I have only had the problem with e-mail reappearing after I had deleted it for the past few weeks. This did not happen for the first four weeks or so that I have had the phone. I wonder if an upgrade to the e-mail program caused the problem.

fleckrj

May 12, 2014
Visit site
my wife had this issue with her phone, and resolved it by swiping left on an email in the inbox then selecting delete. if she used the checkboxes to select then delete, the emails would always reappear.

This appears to work for me, which is further evidence that the problem with the checkboxes not deleting e-mail from the server is a bug in the latest update to the default e-mail program.

Sashylee

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

I too tried Mike Hansen2's fix and was more painful than just leaving it alone. I have tried Novasquid's fix and so far so good! Thank you!