02-22-2016 10:44 AM
463 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    What really needs to happen is to have all the major android blogs including android central write an article on this. Everyone should forward the link to the thread to the respective blog editors

-Sent from Tapatalk
    How do we raise this to their attention, who are the blog editors on this site?
    I would really like to get this out there more.
    taviaa04 likes this.
    05-30-2014 11:11 AM
    How do we raise this to their attention, who are the blog editors on this site?
    I would really like to get this out there more.
    I believe there is a button on the pc Web version that allows you to do it in the specific thread that allows you to flag it as newsworthy. Forgot exactly how to do it currently.

-Sent from Tapatalk
    05-30-2014 11:42 AM
    I believe there is a button on the pc Web version that allows you to do it in the specific thread that allows you to flag it as newsworthy. Forgot exactly how to do it currently.

-Sent from Tapatalk
    hmm, not seeing anything like that.
    I wonder if it's because I'm still new here, and it doesn't allow me to have that option yet.

Anyone else see it, the more news about this being out there, the better chance we actually get a fix.
    05-30-2014 12:01 PM
    I'm not surprised how Samsung is handling this. On RFD I lost count on the number of complaints on how poor customer service is.

Don't get me wrong, I took the easy way out spent $40 because I do love Wireless Charging. If it wasn't an option and my cover broke, I have NO PROBLEMS NOT BUYING ANOTHER SAMSUNG again. That's the beauty of android, there's always an OPTION!

This is why Apple is THE best when it comes to taking care of it's customers. I'm not just talking about their iPhones but Macs as well.
    05-30-2014 01:02 PM
    Are you telling me to relax? I'm quite relaxed but your suggestion is beyond ridiculous and so is your assertion that we shouldn't be buying a smartphone is we can't afford the $20. Who told you I couldn't afford the $20? I have a lot of nice things but the issue isn't the amount of money I make but rather the idea of throwing it away for no reason. I don't know about you but I don't want to throw money away on something that will just break again. No matter how you look at it that's a waste of $20. Who spends money knowing its going to break anyways? Plus, it ships from China so the odds of this cover actually being OEM and water resistant are 50/50. You mind as well just remove the broken cover rather than trust that thing.

I just don't understand how some one who agrees it will break can justify spending $20 for the privilege of it breaking again. You obviously understand the design flaw but in a way you're acting like its okay that its happening. Acura didn't claim physical damage when my 2012 TSX seat frame broke and caused the leather to expand and crack. No, they replaced both the frame and leather free of charge and gave me a loaner. That was a year after buying the car, not a week or month. There is physical damage from misuse and that from bad parts or design. Samsung has a bad design and needs to step up.

For the record mine hasn't broke at all and feels fine. That doesn't change my opinion though and I'm not speaking out of anger. I'm speaking out of common sense.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    My suggestion is not ridiculous, it was merely an alternative solution to address the problem, you know, trying to be helpful (isnt that what forums are for). Maybe Samsung will start providing replacement covers if the issue gets big enough, who knows but I sure dont see them changing the design for the S5. Four people at my work have the S5 and none have had issues with their covers so who knows how big the issue really is; maybe it was one bad batch of covers that went to the manufacturers.
    05-30-2014 01:32 PM
    If 100 folks have a broken port cover, then you will see nearly 100 complaints about broken covers and how bad the design is.

There are Billions of S5 phones out there and I don't see Billions of folks complaining about broken covers.

I also do NOT see any of those billions coming on and bragging about how their cover is doing just fine.

I for one, will be a single vote for "it is okay", it has not broken 'yet'.
    will it? Maybe, but it hasn't so far.

I am aware of how it is made, and I treat it with respect. I suspect it will still be there for a year or so.

On the other hand, my wife has a LG phone with the tiniest of usb charger port covers.
    Talk about fragile, it was 3 times worse than the S5 cover. It broke and we kept it for a while and replaced it when done.... then finally I said WTH and threw it away.

We don't usually wash our phones anyway, so why worry?

I never take a cellphone into the shower, or take it swimming. That is rediculous regardless of how well it might be "water Resistant".
    05-30-2014 01:56 PM
    My suggestion is not ridiculous, it was merely an alternative solution to address the problem, you know, trying to be helpful (isnt that what forums are for). Maybe Samsung will start providing replacement covers if the issue gets big enough, who knows but I sure dont see them changing the design for the S5. Four people at my work have the S5 and none have had issues with their covers so who knows how big the issue really is; maybe it was one bad batch of covers that went to the manufacturers.
    Either way there's far to many complaints. You also need to remember that the product you're recommending is shipping from China. There is a reasonable chance that the seal isn't actually part of the IP67 certification and won't help. In cases like this I don't recommend any aftermarket parts. Only buy from 100% trusted sources.

Plus, $20 for a port cover that cheaply made is ridiculous. I could deal with $7 if mine breaks but not $20. To each their own though.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    chrisfromwa1 likes this.
    05-30-2014 02:39 PM
    If 100 folks have a broken port cover, then you will see nearly 100 complaints about broken covers and how bad the design is.

There are Billions of S5 phones out there and I don't see Billions of folks complaining about broken covers.

I also do NOT see any of those billions coming on and bragging about how their cover is doing just fine.

I for one, will be a single vote for "it is okay", it has not broken 'yet'.
    will it? Maybe, but it hasn't so far.

I am aware of how it is made, and I treat it with respect. I suspect it will still be there for a year or so...
    I get what you're saying but why make this bigger than it is? Address it and shut it down why create negative attention, for a part that cost them a few bucks.

The design will fail it just doesn't even come close when compared to my Z2.

Pro S5
    Eclipse2K and chrisfromwa1 like this.
    05-30-2014 04:40 PM
    I'm not trying to be a jerk by any means by saying that "My cover is still perfectly functional". I just want people to know that I have had mine since launch and have yet to have a scare. I hope Samsung resolves this issue for you all.
    Eclipse2K likes this.
    05-30-2014 05:00 PM

Horrible assumption dude. Not everyone is forum savvy

-Sent from Tapatalk
    05-30-2014 06:33 PM
    Horrible assumption dude. Not everyone is forum savvy

-Sent from Tapatalk
    06-01-2014 08:59 AM
    My first post, ever.
    As others have written, my cover broke too. However, it didn't come off. The very small black latch detached from the cover. Samsung said to send it in and they would decide if it was under warranty or not. I would get it back in about 2 weeks. Advice on a better solution or how best deal with Samsung?

Posted via Android Central App
    06-01-2014 09:11 AM
    My first post, ever.
    As others have written, my cover broke too. However, it didn't come off. The very small black latch detached from the cover. Samsung said to send it in and they would decide if it was under warranty or not. I would get it back in about 2 weeks. Advice on a better solution or how best deal with Samsung?

Complain to Samsung as well at the same time. They have to log your complaint. Whilst dealing with your complaint get them to chase up the repair too. You should not have to pay for it. This approach worked for me.

06-01-2014 05:02 PM
    Soo.... I already spoke to Samsung. Do you mean to suggest that I talk to my phone carrier and have them help me? I did that at the t-mobile store. They called Samsung and got the same answer. Maybe I'll call t-mobile customer service and see what happens.

06-01-2014 05:57 PM
    Soo.... I already spoke to Samsung. Do you mean to suggest that I talk to my phone carrier and have them help me? I did that at the t-mobile store. They called Samsung and got the same answer. Maybe I'll call t-mobile customer service and see what happens.

I would try Samsung again. Going to them direct worked for me. T-mobile might not press for a repair as hard as you.

06-03-2014 03:46 PM
    My cover did not break off but it does not seal as tightly as it did when I first bought the phone. I do not trust that it would be anywhere near water resistant at this point.
    06-04-2014 06:38 AM
    Seems like sprint knows it's a known issue and are replacing devices with broken flaps rather than replacing the flap itself

-Sent from Tapatalk
    06-05-2014 05:27 PM
    My cover did not break off but it does not seal as tightly as it did when I first bought the phone. I do not trust that it would be anywhere near water resistant at this point.
    Of course not, water would get through the charging port...

-Sent from Tapatalk
    06-05-2014 05:27 PM
    Seems like sprint knows it's a known issue and are replacing devices with broken flaps rather than replacing the flap itself

-Sent from Tapatalk
    Where did you hear this?
    I asked on their community, and one of their employees told me, there was no problem with his device, so everything is aOK.

https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/159557
    06-05-2014 06:19 PM
    Where did you hear this?
    I asked on their community, and one of their employees told me, there was no problem with his device, so everything is aOK.

Read it on xda or Android Central somewhere. Can't remember where now

-Sent from Tapatalk
    06-05-2014 09:34 PM

-Sent from Tapatalk
    Where did you hear this?

Read it on xda or Android Central somewhere. Can't remember where now

-Sent from Tapatalk
    Nevermind, that was in relation to the camera glass breaking

soooo, after all of this.

My camera will not take pics that are focused.
    So, sprint is replacing it with a new phone.

I guess this is a known issue as well.

BTW, this sprint store i went to is sending out the phones to be repaired with broken lenses, as long as the phone itself does not look damaged. They know it is an issue

-Sent from Tapatalk
    06-05-2014 09:36 PM
    I'm new here, I just wanted to say that my USB cover broke off last night, I'd had the phone since the UK launch. I Googled the issue and here I am. Anyone on O2 experienced this problem and tried resolving it through them?
    06-06-2014 06:06 AM
    New to this blog. But My port cover also broke on my s5. The piece broke from the cord. The cord is still in the phone.
    Yes I can still push the cover back in.
    But I am scared that the cover will get lost now. Upset. I paid full retail price just for the cover to break off. Very disappointed. Oh by the way, I have been gentle with it. Even though it was not easy to open.
    06-06-2014 03:10 PM
    I'm new here, I just wanted to say that my USB cover broke off last night, I'd had the phone since the UK launch. I Googled the issue and here I am. Anyone on O2 experienced this problem and tried resolving it through them?
    I sent my phone directly to Samsung to fix. It's not within the first 28 days so o2 would most probably do the same.

06-07-2014 12:42 PM
    I sent my phone directly to Samsung to fix. It's not within the first 28 days so o2 would most probably do the same.

What's going to keep the replaced cover from breaking?
    06-07-2014 05:52 PM
463 ... 910111213 ...