02-22-2016 10:44 AM
463 ... 16171819
tools
    I've had my S5 since July and mine is still just fine. Doesn't seem like it will come off any time soon.
    02-01-2015 09:29 AM
    I've had my Samsung Galaxy S5 since December and today the cover plastic piece that you close over the charger part broke. I'd just leave it off but be careful. And yes, they are a pain lol
    02-21-2015 03:28 PM
    Mine was the plastic hinge thingy.
    02-21-2015 04:24 PM
    I've had mine since the release weekend, and it jsut happened to me last night.

Good news is, it appears to be a easy and cheap fix to do on your own.

It is the rubber thing that holds the silver cover.

Pretty much the same thing this guy shows us how to replace

Since I am not allowed to post links...

GO TO YOUTUBE search this:

Galaxy S5 Charging Port Cover Replacement and Fix

And he gives links to find the parts
    02-27-2015 11:59 AM
    I've replaced mines twice so far. Crazy thing my wife still has her original 1. I think I'm just too ruff with it. But I have no complaints. Dropped it in water slush snow and kept doing what I was doing wasn't even worried about my phone getting damaged I will replace the door for $2 every time it breaks for the confidence I have that if it gets wet it's no sweat.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-28-2015 08:23 AM
    Had mine 3 months and cracked charger cover the other day...wtf!!

02-28-2015 09:19 AM
    Just finally fixed mine today. I am so damned happy that it was an easy fix. Tempted to test it but tempted also not too. Here's what the old one looked like:

Attached Thumbnails Charger Cover Broke-20150301_124937.jpg  
    bsettz likes this.
    03-01-2015 12:32 PM
    I've had mine for approximately one year. On mine, the actual plastic door broke in front of the string.
    03-09-2015 11:51 AM
    Mine broke of within 6 months... Got a laugh from Samsung

"Your charging port cover came supplied with a 3 month warranty period. I understand from the details you have provided that it is now past 3 months since you purchased your device which does mean that it is no longer covered by the Samsung warranty and any required repair would have to be carried out on a chargeable basis."

3 Months.. they're having a laugh!
    03-13-2015 10:09 AM
    Yeah I have this happen to me after 7 months my USB charger port cover came off in my hands. It seems its a common fault, you only have to look at the various online forums and the number of these parts for sale on auction sites. Samsung said this fault would not covered under my warranty as it was classed a physical damage. I told Samsung I totally disagree, I am always very careful with my phone and I don't expect bits to drop off such an expensive phone that's just over 6 months old. I think the fault is down to their parts not being of a durable quality to last. They still disagreed even after I told them about the numerous people its happening to. They said I needed to get it repaired at my own cost by one of their approved repairers. I said I would not be paying to have their shoddy parts repaired every 6/7 months (that's estimate 4 repairs within the warranty period costing around £40 each time). I was then informed by Samsung that until I got it repaired by their dealers my phones warranty is temporarily invalid! So I have a phone 7 months old, which was waterproof (the S5's new selling feature) and is now not which cost me £400 with an INVALID WARRANTY! I don't know how they can justify invalidation the whole warranty when all of their S2-S4 models don't have any charger port covers to drop off but yet they have a full warranty for everything! I will never buy a Samsung again after this I find it an insult how they blame us for their substandard parts.
    05-20-2015 07:13 AM
    Mine broke off a few weeks ago. I'm surprised it lasted that long. 110% predictable design deficiency.
    05-20-2015 02:18 PM
    Mine broke off because I use a stand where the cover needs to be bent back. It was easy to buy a replacement and there is a youtube video on how to do it.
    05-20-2015 03:03 PM
    Have had my phone since launch, but decided to replace the usb cover anyway, simply because it was too scuffed up. Dirt cheap for a few and only takes a minute to replace.

05-21-2015 01:42 AM
    I have had 2 galaxy s5's in less than 6 months because mine keeps breaking. VERY FRUSTRATING!
    05-23-2015 09:19 PM
    I knew it would break within 6 months when I first upgraded from the S4. And sure enough, today it broke off.

Granted, the design is TOTAL garbage, and chances are I'll be leaving Samsung after the 5, but still.....
    06-01-2015 03:35 PM
    So I purchased my Galaxy s5 last July and within 25 days the battery port cover broke. It hold on to a thin plastic adaptor. I took it back to Costco (where I purchased the phone) and because I was within 90 days it was replaced no questions asked. I got the new phone and 3 months later it broke again. Very flimsy. I'm up for a jump an want to switch to Iphone so T-Mobile wouldn't take my Galaxy due to the port missing. I was told to call Samsung and they want me to send my phone in, it will take 10-14 business days. GTFOH. They expect me to be without a phone for 14 days. ARE YOU SERIOUS.. This phone cost 649.00 and you make a poor product and want us to be without a phone for 30 days?!?!? I now hate Samsung. Horrible!!!
    07-21-2015 12:37 PM
    If you replace it yourself it will void all warranty
    07-21-2015 12:39 PM
    If you replace it yourself it will void all warranty
    It wouldn't void your warranty because replacing the usb cover doesn't require you to disassemble the phone or break a security sticker. It literally takes 30 seconds of your time and a couple of bucks.

07-21-2015 04:49 PM
    I bought my S5 on 8/26/14 and my charger cover broke yesterday. Well, had a good run but thank goodness there's a quick & cheap fix! I ordered the parts today off Amazon & I'll update this thread on how it goes.

P.S. I LOVE my S5!!! but this issue is an obvious oversight on Samsung's part.
    10-03-2015 02:13 PM
    Mine finally broke after about a year and a half. Like someone said, couple bucks and minutes of my time and it was good as new. I wouldn't necessarily call it an "oversight." Moving parts get worn out with time and use. That's the price we pay for waterproofing. The fix is very cheap and easy.

10-03-2015 03:28 PM
    Mine finally broke after about a year and a half. Like someone said, couple bucks and minutes of my time and it was good as new. I wouldn't necessarily call it an "oversight." Moving parts get worn out with time and use. That's the price we pay for waterproofing. The fix is very cheap and easy.

If it wasn't an oversight then Samsung knew this would be an issue and chose to do nothing to help.? Which is worse? This thread has a lot of people with this issue so hopefully Samsung learns from it.

Either way, it's nice we now know how to fix this issue but Samsung isn't willing to help fix it. That's not good at all.

I'm glad to hear the fix worked for you! Hope mine is a success.
    10-03-2015 04:12 PM
    It wouldn't void your warranty because replacing the usb cover doesn't require you to disassemble the phone or break a security sticker. It literally takes 30 seconds of your time and a couple of bucks.

Mine hasn't broken YET, but by the sounds of it I can probably count on it doing so. A few of you in this thread talk about a fix, could you please tell us what this fix is and where to get the pieces. Thanks. CC
    10-03-2015 10:58 PM
    Yes mine broke off 7onths ago and they sent me a new phone bad thing is it has the same rubber Cover really Samsung

10-04-2015 07:56 PM
    Yes mine broke off about 7onths ago and they sent me a new one bad thing it has the same cover really Samsung

10-04-2015 07:58 PM
    Well, I just fixed my charger cover! It litterally took less than 5 minutes and the new one fits snug and has a strong seal. It cost less than $5 for the part from Amazon and I took a pic of the left over broken part of the charger cover along with the included screwdriver (which I already had one and it is a size 00 (which you might be able to see inscribed on the 2nd pic) and it included an extra screw (which looked shorter than the OEM screw, so I just kept the OEM screw in there and it included the little plastic piece but again, I used the OEM one. So all done!

By the way...a local repair shop tried telling me it would cost $180 to fix this issue!!! They insisted that the whole back cover and screen needed to be replaced. When I tried explaining this simple fix the girl was really rude and woudn't listen. Worse, the manager got on the phone and yelled at me saying "...then go have it fixed somewhere else!" and then she hung up on me. I called two other repair shops (just to make sure I was going about this right) and they knew exactly how to fix this and said it would cost $15 which included them doing all the work. I chose to do it myself and it truly was easy, fast and simple! Anyone can do it...just watch the youtube video. Needless to say, I won't ever be using that local repair shop. The arrogance some people have when you try to point out the correct way of doing something. They wouldn't listen.

It's worth pointing out that fixing this issue is easier than posting on this forum. I can't figure out how to attach picsfrom my S5 and having to attach the pics from my PC is such a pain b/c AndroidCentral has SO many popups, ads, etc. that the pages takes forever to load. What a pain to help out others in a forum. Taking my phone apart is easier!

Here are the parts and my two screwdrivers are the two silver attachments but the kit I bought came with one also...
    Charger Cover Broke-2015-10-08-05.30.50.jpg

This pic shows the size of the screwdriver, I have two but the one that fits is 00 (although I think the 0 would also work)...
    Charger Cover Broke-2015-10-08-04.46.19.jpg
    10-08-2015 12:37 AM
463 ... 16171819