02-22-2016 10:44 AM
463 1234 ...
tools
    No one has replied with what actually broke. I'm betting it just came off where its attached and either will go back in or at least still seal the port if you put it on. I also bet those that have a broken one yanked on the damn thing. I could be wrong though.

Posted via Android Central App
    But if it is broken off, it is not going to be easy to keep a tiny piece of plastic around to keep popping on.

On a side note, is there a way to stop the stupid reminder. I got it, if an electronic portion of the device is not covered that waterproofing will not work.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    04-16-2014 09:24 AM
    Wireless charging should have been built in on a waterproof device that needs a cover to be removed to charge.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    04-16-2014 09:25 AM
    Other forum says its repairable. But not covered under warranty?
    04-16-2014 10:24 AM
    To Mush10: I got an option after the 4th or 5th time of opening the usb cover to not show the option again. And I'm anxiously waiting for the wireless charging. I'm a dude and my fingernails are extremely short and I have to find something very thin to use to open that flap.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    mush10 and tomothy94 like this.
    04-16-2014 10:27 AM
    Charger Cover Broke-112870d1397657864t-charger-cover-broke-brokecover.jpg

The part is robust and, more importantly, immenently repairable. No one on this board needs to send it out for repair...a small screw driver and 5 minutes replaces the part. We just need Sammy to release the part (which I have little doubt they or a third party will do soon). And, to be clear, the white part is screwed in. The original poster on XDA (who only has 14 posts) said s/he couldn't fix it. Just for giggles, I removed my door today and put it right back on. It looked just like the above picture so I don't see why it couldn't be fixed. Heck, it doesn't even look broken, just disassembled.

Bottom line: without wireless charging (which is an option), to have water resistance, you need a moving part. I prefer the solution that Sammy picked over more elegant designs like a sliding door because when it breaks (and all moving parts break at a certain rate), it's easier to fix.

This seem like a tempest in a tea pot to me. I guess Lincoln was right when he was talking about pleasing everyone.
    04-16-2014 11:25 AM
    But if it is broken off, it is not going to be easy to keep a tiny piece of plastic around to keep popping on.

On a side note, is there a way to stop the stupid reminder. I got it, if an electronic portion of the device is not covered that waterproofing will not work.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    To Mush10: I got an option after the 4th or 5th time of opening the usb cover to not show the option again. And I'm anxiously waiting for the wireless charging. I'm a dude and my fingernails are extremely short and I have to find something very thin to use to open that flap.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    There is a click box asking to not remind you. I did that and haven't needed the notification since, but I wanna turn the notification back on. Any ideas on how to?

Also, yes, now I have to keep my pinky fingernail uncut so I can easily open the door

-Sent from Tapatalk
    04-16-2014 12:24 PM
    That doesn't look that bad to fix. I might as well remove it now since I don't care much about water proof function. Rather not have it break
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	112870d1397657864t-charger-cover-broke-brokecover.jpg 
Views:	962 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	112887

The part is robust and, more importantly, immenently repairable. No one on this board needs to send it out for repair...a small screw driver and 5 minutes replaces the part. We just need Sammy to release the part (which I have little doubt they or a third party will do soon). And, to be clear, the white part is screwed in. The original poster on XDA (who only has 14 posts) said s/he couldn't fix it. Just for giggles, I removed my door today and put it right back on. It looked just like the above picture so I don't see why it couldn't be fixed. Heck, it doesn't even look broken, just disassembled.

Bottom line: without wireless charging (which is an option), to have water resistance, you need a moving part. I prefer the solution that Sammy picked over more elegant designs like a sliding door because when it breaks (and all moving parts break at a certain rate), it's easier to fix.

This seem like a tempest in a tea pot to me. I guess Lincoln was right when he was talking about pleasing everyone.
    04-16-2014 12:54 PM
    Mine actually had the cover dislodge from the rubber. I sent a message over to Samsung Support and they DM'd that they could have a tech check it out. https://twitter.com/KaiDream/status/456445116605923330
    04-16-2014 04:41 PM
    Nothing looks broken in that above picture.
    Let's see a picture showing the broken cover and not one just taken apart.
    04-16-2014 05:55 PM
    Why would you make such a flaming accusation and why would someone lie about it?
    Flamming accusation? Overreact much?

I was merely pushing buttons to get more details on the breakages, which were not coming in a timely manner at all.

04-16-2014 09:31 PM
    Thanks very much for that clarifying anti-FUD post kat

The securing tiny strap seems robust, but looking forward in here to hearing info on a wireless-charging station, shades of Tesla

Peter
    04-17-2014 06:37 AM
    Right...like you need timely answers. What are you...tech support? You were merely pushing buttons...that's it. Calling people "liars" and using "****" really got you the answers...huh?
    Greg C, anon(52425) and atg284 like this.
    04-17-2014 07:46 AM
    I literally just tried to break the charging flap off by twisting it and pulling on it at best buy and they wouldn't break. I have to admit, it feels quite sturdy. How rough are you guys actually being with this? I am having a hard time thinking they just "randomly" break off with everyday use

I also keyed it pretty good and there were no scratches on the screen; however, the camera lens and plastic bezel didn't fare as well since there's no gorilla glass protecting the camera lens and the bezel is just painted plastic

-Sent from Tapatalk
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-17-2014 08:43 PM
    I literally just tried to break the charging flap off by twisting it and pulling on it at best buy and they wouldn't break. I have to admit, it feels quite sturdy. How rough are you guys actually being with this? I am having a hard time thinking they just "randomly" break off with everyday use

I also keyed it pretty good and there were no scratches on the screen; however, the camera lens and plastic bezel didn't fare as well since there's no gorilla glass protecting the camera lens and the bezel is just painted plastic

-Sent from Tapatalk
    out of curiosity, why would you do all that?
    04-17-2014 09:20 PM
    out of curiosity, why would you do all that?
    Testing durability

-Sent from Tapatalk
    StylinProfilin likes this.
    04-17-2014 09:24 PM
    Does anyone know if the contact chargers work THROUGH an otterbox defender case?
    It will be no use if I have to take the phone out of the case to charge it!
    Thanks!

04-18-2014 02:16 AM
    So your cover can't be hold any more. Will you replace the whole back frame or any other solution?
    04-18-2014 05:33 AM
    Yes, I've had mine less than 2 weeks. I've only had to charge it a handful of times, and the cover popped off over the weekend. I tried to re-attach it and it won't attach again. I haven't been rough with this phone at all. In fact, I don't like the phone very much at all so I've been avoiding using it.
    04-21-2014 12:05 PM
    Mine broke off today just like the photo attached. I'm afraid that it is no longer water proof.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    04-21-2014 01:40 PM
    Mine broke off today just like the photo attached. I'm afraid that it is no longer water proof.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Push the cover back in firmly and it should hold without the attachment link. That link is only necessary so you don't lose the cover when opening it to charge.

When the link is attached, it should not be twisted up or down. It should be in a parallel position to the side of the plug without tension. Twisting the link up or down will break it.
    Gray Area likes this.
    04-21-2014 03:03 PM
    My cover broke after 8 days. What broke was the plastic bit retaining the cover to the phone. I cannot put the cover back on as the plastic bit stops it from securing. Spoke to Samsung who said that I will have to send it in for repair and that there might be a charge for fixing it - not too happy about that. It looks very simple to fix but I bet they wipe my phone completely and then spend 30 seconds replacing the broken cover with a new one. Not impressed.

Anyway, I'll be looking to charge the battery without removing that cover as I only opened it the 8th time and it snapped without hardly any force being applied. At this rate I'll need about 45 of these covers throughout the life of the phone!!!

Charger Cover Broke-20140422_104203.jpg
    04-22-2014 10:50 AM

-Sent from Tapatalk
    Lol at using a floor model.
    bembol and psychspirit like this.
    04-22-2014 11:17 AM
    Lol at using a floor model.
    lol..id never do that to my own...and i told the samsung rep about how people are breaking them and he told me to try to break it off the floor models....and I couldn't....

im sure if i took pliers to it, it would break..but normal every day "roughness" did not break it..including twisting it and pulling
    bembol and SERBDVB like this.
    04-22-2014 12:05 PM
    Well, all I did was open mine 8 times in 8 days and it broke. So it can be done. Maybe there is a duff batch out there because I thought mine was fragile before it broke.
    04-22-2014 04:03 PM
    had my s3 for 2 years didn't break it had this phone less than 2 weeks and the cover string snaps not very good considering its dust and waterproof resistant
    04-22-2014 06:14 PM
463 1234 ...