02-22-2016 10:44 AM
463 12345 ...
tools
    I had mine since two days before launch day. Charge every night...so far so good
    04-22-2014 09:04 PM
    had my s3 for 2 years didn't break it had this phone less than 2 weeks and the cover string snaps not very good considering its dust and waterproof resistant
    The s 3 doesn't have a charger cover.

Posted via Android Central App
    katmandoo122 likes this.
    04-22-2014 09:11 PM
    I have had my s5 since the day before launch day and it hasn't broken yet ( fingers crossed).

04-22-2014 09:13 PM
    I seem to have a different problem. This is my second s5. The first one was faulty. This one appears to be fine however the charging flap doesn't securely close. The slightest pressure at the opposite end and it pops open. The tiny little hook on the inside of the flap doesn't seem to be holding firm. I know it's not right because it was very firm on my previous s5.

Any one else have this problem or am I the unluckiest s5 owner going

JKnicely48 likes this.
    04-23-2014 02:29 AM
    Same issue. The little hook that latches the cover into place was peeling off from the base of the cover.

What I did was put a tiny dot of superglue at the bottom of the hook (that is attached to the cover) to prevent it from wiggling out of place.

Now the little rubber hook is firmly in place and won't budge.

Sounds like your hook is having the same issue. See if the hook is wiggling when you touch it. If it is, secure it with glue. If not, you could be having a different issue.
    I know it's stupid to have to bust out super glue to a brand new phone...but it does work, very well. Good luck.
    Tiffyish likes this.
    04-23-2014 11:17 AM
    Same issue. The little hook that latches the cover into place was peeling off from the base of the cover.

What I did was put a tiny dot of superglue at the bottom of the hook (that is attached to the cover) to prevent it from wiggling out of place.

Now the little rubber hook is firmly in place and won't budge.

Sounds like your hook is having the same issue. See if the hook is wiggling when you touch it. If it is, secure it with glue. If not, you could be having a different issue.
    I know it's stupid to have to bust out super glue to a brand new phone...but it does work, very well. Good luck.
    Phone is being replaced tommorow. If new one has same issue it's going back for an xperia z2. Cheers for the tip though!

04-23-2014 12:22 PM
    lol..id never do that to my own...and i told the samsung rep about how people are breaking them and he told me to try to break it off the floor models....and I couldn't....

im sure if i took pliers to it, it would break..but normal every day "roughness" did not break it..including twisting it and pulling
    The samsung rep told you to try and break it off the floor model?

Yeah...I don't believe you.

lol.
    04-23-2014 12:35 PM
    My cover broke after 8 days. What broke was the plastic bit retaining the cover to the phone. I cannot put the cover back on as the plastic bit stops it from securing. Spoke to Samsung who said that I will have to send it in for repair and that there might be a charge for fixing it - not too happy about that. It looks very simple to fix but I bet they wipe my phone completely and then spend 30 seconds replacing the broken cover with a new one. Not impressed.

Anyway, I'll be looking to charge the battery without removing that cover as I only opened it the 8th time and it snapped without hardly any force being applied. At this rate I'll need about 45 of these covers throughout the life of the phone!!!

Attachment 114198
    Mine is broken in the EXACT same way. I've only charged it twice; had it since Monday night. I wasn't even charging it, I just needed to connect it to my PC to sync my apps. I don't even have the little piece right now. How frustrating! It's so fragile.
    04-23-2014 01:38 PM
    The s 3 doesn't have a charger cover.

They didn't say that. I also had my S3 for 2 years and have never broken it. The cover of the charging port for my S5 broke off less than 48 hours of owning it. I'm not at ALL rough with it -- it seems the glue that was holding it in place is just incredibly weak.
    04-23-2014 01:39 PM
    The samsung rep told you to try and break it off the floor model?

Yeah...I don't believe you.

lol.
    you don't have to believe me and i can care less...lol

but i told the rep about the issues and even showed him this thread with pics..and he said go for it..try and break it
    04-23-2014 04:13 PM
    Looks like some of us may make the move to purchase this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Wirele...cUvbUpU3601875
    Sabrina Fair likes this.
    04-23-2014 04:31 PM
    Mine broke in the same way, also. I didn't even have it for a week, and I was very gentle with it. Sounds like there's a defect with how the rubber was glued on the some of the S5's out there. I temporarily Gorilla Super Glued the rubber piece back on there, and it seems to hold (at least better than from the factory), but obviously I want to order this part ASAP. Samsung and T-Mobile both offered to ship my phone off to have it fixed, but would not ship me a replacement directly since I bought it in-store.
    04-23-2014 04:41 PM
    Same, I bite my nails and i have to use bits of cardboard to get it off
    04-23-2014 05:03 PM
    Mine hasnt broke but I removed it today by opening it up. I don't care for water protection
    04-23-2014 08:21 PM
    Post removed
    04-23-2014 08:38 PM
    Also I've been in contact with Samsung and because this problem is not a known design manufactures fault they won't do anything which is kind of ****ty cause why would people purposely snap the cover off?
    04-23-2014 08:40 PM
    All that cover does is protect for water. Realistically how many phones have you dropped in water? Reason I removed mine before it broke is when I sell this phone in future it's still complete

Also I've been in contact with Samsung and because this problem is not a known design manufactures fault they won't do anything which is kind of ****ty cause why would people purposely snap the cover off?
    04-23-2014 08:44 PM
    All that cover does is protect for water. Realistically how many phones have you dropped in water? Reason I removed mine before it broke is when I sell this phone in future it's still complete
    It's more the fact that it is breaking and they're not gonna do anything I mean thousands of people can't be wrong surely

04-23-2014 08:49 PM
    I agree but luckily even if it breaks it's not hard to fix.
    It's more the fact that it is breaking and they're not gonna do anything I mean thousands of people can't be wrong surely

04-23-2014 08:56 PM
    you don't have to believe me and i can care less...lol

but i told the rep about the issues and even showed him this thread with pics..and he said go for it..try and break it
    Sounds believable to me...I thought your post was very helpful.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    eyecon82 likes this.
    04-23-2014 08:57 PM
    I agree but luckily even if it breaks it's not hard to fix.
    How do you fix it?

04-23-2014 08:59 PM
    If you somehow buy a new piece. It's one screw and pop out
    How do you fix it?

04-23-2014 09:53 PM
    If you somehow buy a new piece. It's one screw and pop out
    I too have the same problem, the cover has come off. Like other people on this forum I have contacted Samsung and they have told me I will need to pay for the repair. I have emailed them back pointing out given that numerous users are having this problem surely it is a manufacturing fault or not made fit for purpose.

I am sure it would not cost much to fix but why should the users have to pay out for that. If a fault like this occurs with lots of users after just a few weeks its not just me being heavey handed. Apart from anything if I perform the repair myself and mess it up somehow or round off a screw and then it has to go back to Samsung for a different fault they will not repair it as they will say the device has been previously modified.

I see some people have been asking specifically what is broken. I don't know if this is the same for everyone but it looks like whatever holds to cover to the rubber hinge bit has come off. There is no actual damage such as the rubber being snapped.

I will update when I hear a response from Samsung.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2ns298m.png
    http://i61.tinypic.com/k1dzrm.png
    04-24-2014 06:39 AM
    I too have the same problem, the cover has come off. Like other people on this forum I have contacted Samsung and they have told me I will need to pay for the repair. I have emailed them back pointing out given that numerous users are having this problem surely it is a manufacturing fault or not made fit for purpose.

I am sure it would not cost much to fix but why should the users have to pay out for that. If a fault like this occurs with lots of users after just a few weeks its not just me being heavey handed. Apart from anything if I perform the repair myself and mess it up somehow or round off a screw and then it has to go back to Samsung for a different fault they will not repair it as they will say the device has been previously modified.

I see some people have been asking specifically what is broken. I don't know if this is the same for everyone but it looks like whatever holds to cover to the rubber hinge bit has come off. There is no actual damage such as the rubber being snapped.

I will update when I hear a response from Samsung.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2ns298m.jpg
    http://i61.tinypic.com/k1dzrm.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/2ns298m.png
    http://i61.tinypic.com/k1dzrm.png
    That looks exactly the same as my phone and how it broke off. I sent my phone back to Samsung yesterday to be repaired so I will see whether they think they are going to charge me to repair it.

Anyway I have already ordered an external battery charger kit and an extra battery as I plan never to open the battery port on this phone again when I get it back..
    04-24-2014 07:06 AM
    That looks exactly the same as my phone and how it broke off. I sent my phone back to Samsung yesterday to be repaired so I will see whether they think they are going to charge me to repair it.

Anyway I have already ordered an external battery charger kit and an extra battery as I plan never to open the battery port on this phone again when I get it back..
    If you don't mind me asking did you pay for your phone directly from Samsung or is it on contract with a network. I know usually a faulty item would go back to the Point of Sale which is my network provider. I might give them a call and see if they will accept it and get it fixed for me.
    04-24-2014 07:49 AM
463 12345 ...