02-22-2016 10:44 AM
463 ... 34567 ...
tools
    #2 is probably a great way to do it but just guessing most people in this thread already has a broken port cover
    But it seems you can be rough with it without it breaking...

What seems to be the problem is that on some phones, the adhesive attaching the rubber onto the flap is defective

-Sent from Tapatalk
    bassplayrguy likes this.
    04-28-2014 08:49 PM
    Hey guys, same issue as some of you. Mine broke about 1 week ago.

Called Samsung, they are still saying it's not covered. I don't mind the $70 as much as I mind having to use a spare phone for who knows how long while mine is "repaired". Replacing a part is more like it; as others have said, it is a super simple fix.

I ordered the Qi enabled back cover, but no clue when it will ship. Had planned to just pop the cover on and off until the Qi cover showed up, but of course I lost the darn thing yesterday.

Anyway, I checked the link which was posted where you could purchase the cover, and sure enough they are still out of stock.

It is available here Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is for Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F USB Cover Flap; for S5 USB Data Charging Port Dust Plug Block Water Proof Cover Free Shipping, but it's priced at a ridiculous $49.99. It beats shipping it to Samsung and waiting a week or 2 for it to be "repaired", but I agree that it should be made available in all retail outlets for 5 or 6 bucks (or as was pointed out, a 10 pack).

I'll probably gripe on social media about it a bit, get no response, and order the knockoff from China. Hopefully the specs on the knockoff actually maintain the integrity of the water resistance.
    04-29-2014 12:57 PM
    2. When inserting the USB 3.0 cable, do not twist the cover up or down. That will place pressure on the cover tab and break it. Instead, just open it slightly with a finger nail, lay the S5 down on a flat surface next to the USB 3.0 connector. Then slide the connector towards the cover slowly pressing it to a 90 degree pitch. Then slide the connector into the open port. The cover should rest at a 90 degree pitch parallel to the side of the connector as the charging takes place.
    This is why I got the wireless charging back! I can't stand that USB flap and how you have to actually pay attention to plug in your phone
    04-29-2014 02:33 PM
    Looks like a replacement might be available be here, but it's currently out of stock: USB Cover for Galaxy S5 G900F - Witrigs.com
    Seems they have the product now, will have a try~
    04-30-2014 03:35 AM
    Seems they have the product now, will have a try~
    Thanks for sharing. I ordered a couple as well.
    04-30-2014 04:27 AM
    Seems a bit expensive at $49.99 but I suppose I'll buy one as a back up. I do intend never to open the port again when I receive my phone back from Samsung but you never know. I have already bought a spare battery kit so I'll be opening up the back of the phone once a day to switch to a charged battery. I reckon a new back cover for the phone will be a darn sight cheaper than $49.99 if a break a few of those....
    04-30-2014 07:10 AM
    Mine broke off after a week and Samsung have been absolutely useless with getting it sorted. Worst customer service experience I have ever had. They claimed they had not heard of the issue before so they clearly aren't looking at forums and their own facebook page.
    I have returned the phone and will not be getting another one.
    04-30-2014 08:59 PM
    The cover can be firmly pressed into the port and will hold. The tab is not necessary for the cover to work properly. Its only there so you don't lose the cover when you open it.

You don't need to buy a new cover unless you lose the old cover. Even then, you really don't need the cover at all as long as you don't dip the unit into water. No other smart phones or tablets are water proof and the s5 does not need to be waterproof either if you are careful not to get it wet.
    04-30-2014 09:38 PM
    I noticed that it has increase in price from $6.88 to $19.99
    05-01-2014 01:11 AM
    The cover can be firmly pressed into the port and will hold. The tab is not necessary for the cover to work properly. Its only there so you don't lose the cover when you open it.

You don't need to buy a new cover unless you lose the old cover. Even then, you really don't need the cover at all as long as you don't dip the unit into water. No other smart phones or tablets are water proof and the s5 does not need to be waterproof either if you are careful not to get it wet.
    The way my one broke there was a bit of plastic left sticking out from the cover. Even with the rest of the plastic bit removed from the body of the phone it still would not close properly and lock into place. It all depends on how it breaks. They do not all break at the same point.
    05-01-2014 08:47 AM
    Bottom line: without wireless charging (which is an option), to have water resistance, you need a moving part.
    Not entirely true. Look at MacBook MagSafe chargers, or Pebble chargers. No moving parts, and the Pebble is "water resistant," which means the charging connection shouldn't be any type of problem for a device that's either water "proof," or just "resistant." There's simply no need to have this stupid door on a device in 2014.
    Relgoshan and Cruzzer08 like this.
    05-01-2014 04:43 PM
    I bought Galaxy S5 3 weeks ago. The cover broke off yesterday. I used the looking glass to see how the connection is designed - it is ridiculously weak.
    The whole family is using iPhones for a number of years. Now we decided to try Samsung - and we got a problem, minor but annoying.
    Does anybody know where to get a spec info on how that cove is connected to phone? I wanna take a look at that info to evaluate myself how it was designed and why it is so weak.
    AT&T is refusing to honor that problem as "design defect" under warranty.
    Samsung is requesting to send the phone for evaluation for 5-7 business days (w/o providing a loan-phone) - I am sure they will come back claiming "physical damage" not covered by warranty.
    I guess it is a prefect situation for class-action law suit against Samsung.
    What do you think?
    05-01-2014 09:33 PM
    Raise hell in their Facebook page, blogs, etc...

-Sent from Tapatalk
    05-02-2014 12:06 AM
    Who has the right email address to contact Samsung about this?
    05-02-2014 05:38 AM
    I had my Galaxy S5 for two days and the USB broke off under normal operation. Like so many others here my telco just said its physical damage not covered under warranty. We all know that this is not the case. The Australian Samsung warranty only excludes physical damage from warranty if this is caused by abuse or improper use.

If the problem happened to be a dry joint on the PCB - a physical manufacturing defect, caused by inadequate solder bonding, they would swap it over for a new one without question, however no such luck with a similar defect caused by inadequate bonding of the USB cover to the lanyard, beacause like parrots they are brainwashed into thinking that any physical damage is automatically not covered by warranty without actually investigating the root cause.

When two materials are bonded together, particularly plastics and rubbers, the general industry acceptable criteria for an adequate bond is that when you pull the joint apart, the bonded area should not fail before the parent material ie there should be evidence of either the plastic failing or the rubber strip tearing away. One would expect to see residue of the rubber left on the USB cover.

I did not see this and from the other responses I do not see this happing. They all seem to be clean breaks.

I have registered for a hearing with our government consumer affairs department as I believe that my telco is in breach of the Australian Consumer Law. I will let you know if I have any luck there.

Mark

Posted via Android Central App
    05-03-2014 11:09 PM
    I noticed that it has increase in price from $6.88 to $19.99
    Yeah, it actually increase in price from $12.99 to $19.99, because i was lucky to bought at the price of $12.99. I suppose they are the only one who provides the cover now and there is not a lot stock there, so they increased the price. There are so many people have the problem, bad news!
    05-03-2014 11:14 PM
    Hubby's broke off last night. Mine hasn't yet. We bought the phones from best Buy and both are still covered under the Best Buy 90 day warranty (we got the phones 4/11). We bought a 3rd S5 on Saturday (for my SIL) and I have to take it back this week for the glass screen protector to be put on (they were sold out of the one we wanted for the phone). I'm going to talk to them about fixing this for hubby. If they can't help us...we'll looking to fixing it ourselves.
    05-05-2014 11:18 AM
    Mine's still attached... I've been paranoid about it, esp after the few times I almost yanked on it forgetting it's there when i go to unplug the phone. *knocks on wood*
    05-05-2014 02:18 PM
    Mine's still attached... I've been paranoid about it, esp after the few times I almost yanked on it forgetting it's there when i go to unplug the phone. *knocks on wood*
    It's sad to be paranoid about something that costs $600 plus right off the bat.
    05-05-2014 02:43 PM
    Yeah, it actually increase in price from $12.99 to $19.99, because i was lucky to bought at the price of $12.99. I suppose they are the only one who provides the cover now and there is not a lot stock there, so they increased the price. There are so many people have the problem, bad news!
    Dear Sophia

Was there any difference in the design of the replacement USB cover - for example a thicker base for the rubber to make it sturdier?

Mark
    05-06-2014 01:38 AM
    Yeah, but you also have to sync through this port. It isn't just for power.

05-06-2014 03:39 AM
    I think suing is the obvious move here. Not enough law suits in our society if you ask me.

05-06-2014 03:41 AM
    If it does break off, is it necessary to replace? This is the first phone I've ever owned that had a charging cover.

It was one of the first things I noticed on the phone and wondered how many would have that thing broken within a few months. My guess is there will be plenty of 3rd party replacement options if it becomes an issue.
    05-06-2014 04:11 AM
    If it does break off, is it necessary to replace? This is the first phone I've ever owned that had a charging cover.

It was one of the first things I noticed on the phone and wondered how many would have that thing broken within a few months. My guess is there will be plenty of 3rd party replacement options if it becomes an issue.
    If you're not worried about water resistance than the cover serves no purpose. The only reason its there is to protect from water damage

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    05-06-2014 04:47 AM
    no difference, it's said original, so it's same. Though sealed the USB port well, i didn't try if it's water resistant. I don't want to take risk.
    kidwelby likes this.
    05-06-2014 05:21 AM
463 ... 34567 ...