02-22-2016 10:44 AM
463 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I think suing is the obvious move here. Not enough law suits in our society if you ask me.

Posted via Android Central App
    Normally, I'm against lawsuits, but they need one for this, especially if they have the audacity to blame the customer and act like they never heard of the issue after many people have already called about it

-Sent from Tapatalk
    Jon Jackson likes this.
    05-06-2014 03:15 PM
    My charger cover broke 2 weeks to the day after purchasing the Galaxy S5. I was on the phone with AT&T and Samsung for roughly 3 hours total, no exaggeration. Samsung told me this was not a known issue and that I would have to pay and go through the process of mailing phones back and forth while the cover was fixed. I was very frustrated talking to these two companies. Samsung especially, who pride themselves in customer service. Their response of "It's not a known issue" is absurd. How long has the phone been out? Issues have to start somewhere.

Since I've checked this forum, there have been many, many more people having the same problem. This piece, which costs less than say $5, the companies are making their consumers jump through hoops for a devices that are less than a month old to get fixed. Sounds like it should be a known issue to Samsung by now and they should be doing something about it.

My end result, I called AT&T as a final last breath of hope and getting my point across and I was able to get a new phone. I convinced them that I had a defective phone and the piece broke off, it was NOT physical damage and to have a nice brand new phone break like this was crazy. Key words! My persistence paid off, but there was a lot of frustration and hours wasted on my weekend morning dealing with this. Was not fun. The S5 charger cover will continue to be an issue. I bet the new one will break soon enough. Good luck everyone.

In addition - I am grateful AT&T helped out with this and shows a new light on Samsung's customer service for a brand new device which has high competition. Samsung should have been the one to solve this issue, not the phone carrier.
    kidwelby likes this.
    05-09-2014 02:31 PM
    Samsung customer service sucks

-Sent from Tapatalk
    bembol likes this.
    05-09-2014 07:39 PM
    This thread scares me. So essentially my warranty would be void if my cover falls off? Or they just don't cover that cover specifically and if something else breaks its covered?

Edit: Verizon told me if it breaks and than another issue happens such as display failure the warranty may not cover it due to physical damage. Everyone needs to force Samsung to acknowledge this by calling and social media. Samsung says its not covered at the moment, not VZW. Don't mention a broken flap if something else goes wrong.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    05-09-2014 08:12 PM
    WTF on Verizon's version of physical damage. That is for the device actually being damaged, screen crack, frame cracks, etc.
    05-10-2014 12:34 PM
    WTF on Verizon's version of physical damage. That is for the device actually being damaged, screen crack, frame cracks, etc.
    Verizon isn't claiming it as damaged. They're referring to Samsung claiming it as so.

05-10-2014 01:35 PM
    Mines broken off as well after 2 weeks. Its the Hinge part not the Cover itself.
    When I returned to the supplier, the answer was ....... You may be able to get an accessory one at the shop
    05-10-2014 04:16 PM
    Mines broken off as well after 2 weeks. Its the Hinge part not the Cover itself.
    When I returned to the supplier, the answer was ....... You may be able to get an accessory one at the shop
    That's ridiculous! You shouldn't have to buy anything for the phone at this point. This may be the last Samsung phone I buy. HTC is replacing cracked displays for free minus shipping or you can get a replacement for $30 immediately. This has to be within 6 months of purchase and its a one time thing. Then we have Samsung on the other hand who is blaming us for a weakly made charging cover.

Screw you Samsung!

05-10-2014 04:50 PM
    I have S4 Active (water resistant S4). It has same USB cover like S5. This model has the same problem with USB cover. Lots of people damaged it/lost etc. I'm opening and closing it minimum 45 times in day or more and no problems. Mine phone is almost 1 year old. Just be gentle and carefully open/close USB cover. It's in manual too.

typed from dark room
    Eclipse2K likes this.
    05-10-2014 06:08 PM
    I have S4 Active (water resistant S4). It has same USB cover like S5. This model has the same problem with USB cover. Lots of people damaged it/lost etc. I'm opening and closing it minimum 45 times in day or more and no problems. Mine phone is almost 1 year old. Just be gentle and carefully open/close USB cover. It's in manual too.

typed from dark room
    It's not a Matter of being rough, it just seems some devices have a defective glue holding it together

-Sent from Tapatalk
    05-10-2014 07:42 PM
    Samsung customer service sucks

-Sent from Tapatalk
    I have a Samsung french door refrigerator and their customer service has been top notch.
    05-10-2014 07:44 PM
    I have a Samsung french door refrigerator and their customer service has been top notch.
    They with your phone...

-Sent from Tapatalk
    05-10-2014 07:55 PM
    Well great, I guess I am part of the family too.
    Charger cover broke as well within 2 weeks of purchase.
    Sigh. I ain't paying 70 bucks for just one small repair from Samsung Customer Service.
    05-11-2014 01:35 PM
    Well great, I guess I am part of the family too.
    Charger cover broke as well within 2 weeks of purchase.
    Sigh. I ain't paying 70 bucks for just one small repair from Samsung Customer Service.
    That's ridiculous. I'm buying that wireless charging cover as soon as its available. Hopefully my cover doesn't break before that or I'll have to raise some hell.

05-11-2014 03:17 PM
    That's ridiculous. I'm buying that wireless charging cover as soon as its available. Hopefully my cover doesn't break before that or I'll have to raise some hell.

Contacted my phone provider (T-Mobile) Getting a free replacement
    Samsung Service Sucks.
    Phone Carrier Service is superior.
    05-11-2014 03:28 PM

The question is when will the wireless charging back going to available?

I've never used wireless charging, but the combination of both the difficulty of opening the charging cover, and the risk of it snapping off, is enough reason for me to go to wireless charging.

05-11-2014 03:34 PM
    The question is when will the wireless charging back going to available?

I've never used wireless charging, but the combination of both the difficulty of opening the charging cover, and the risk of it snapping off, is enough reason for me to go to wireless charging.

There are a few people who have gotten them but its rare. Samsung told me within the next month but we shall see. Also, I am not sure about the OEM charging plate but the Tylt Vu is an exceptional dock due to its design.

05-11-2014 04:58 PM
    My charger flap broke off after 3 weeks of light use. Samsung's door attachment is just a bad design. I had an LG Spectrum, that had a charger flap, for 2 years with no problem. Verizon said just do not open the door on the S5. Samsung said the door is not covered under their one year warranty but they would fix it for $70.36. The turnaround time is 9 days. Samsung also warned me that the phone is not water resistant without the door. Note, there is a $20 replacement at witrigs.com.
    05-12-2014 01:48 PM
    My charger flap broke off after 3 weeks of light use. Samsung's attachment is just a bad design. I had an LG Spectrum, that had a charger flap, for 2 years with no problem. Verizon said just do not open the door on the S5. Samsung said the door is not covered under their one year warranty but they would fix it for $70.36. The turnaround time is 9 days. Samsung also warned me that the phone is not water resistant without the door. Note, there is a $20 replacement at witrigs.com.
    Don't open the door? Ummmm....did they suggest an alternative to charging it? The wireless backs won't be available for 2-4 months
    05-12-2014 01:59 PM
    Here's a link from another thread, it's $20 but you don't have to deal with Samsung USB Cover Flap for Galaxy S5 - Witrigs.com
    05-12-2014 02:01 PM
    You don't need the flap. The cover can be inserted firmly and will hold without the flap. Just be careful not to lose the cover when charging.

Finally, water proofing is NOT necessary for the s5 to operate properly. None of my other computers, kindles or cell phones were water proof and all worked just fine. Just don't go swimming with it. Thus, even if the cover was lost, the phone is NOT damaged.

Samsung's mistake was to even try to waterproof an electronic device and then to advertise it. By the way, even with the cover the phone is not really waterproof anyway. It only protects against light water exposure and, personally, I'd never want to test that.

The weakness of the flap is that it can NOT be twisted up or down. It can only be opened at a 90 degree angle and should rest parallel to the USB connector plug. There should have been a warning not ever to twist the flap.
    05-12-2014 03:49 PM
    You don't need the flap. The cover can be inserted firmly and will hold without the flap. Just be careful not to lose the cover when charging.

Finally, water proofing is NOT necessary for the s5 to operate properly. None of my other computers, kindles or cell phones were water proof and all worked just fine. Just don't go swimming with it. Thus, even if the cover was lost, the phone is NOT damaged.

Samsung's mistake was to even try to waterproof an electronic device and then to advertise it. By the way, even with the cover the phone is not really waterproof anyway. It only protects against light water exposure and, personally, I'd never want to test that.

The weakness of the flap is that it can NOT be twisted up or down. It can only be opened at a 90 degree angle and should rest parallel to the USB connector plug. There should have been a warning not ever to twist the flap.
    That's pretty much common sense regarding positioning the flap isn't it? I've been doing this since day one but I have to believe others have too and it still broke. Mine is fine at the moment though.

05-12-2014 05:00 PM
    Which part broke? The string or the plastic hinge
    I think the hinge is actually rubber, not plastic.
    05-12-2014 05:11 PM

The other problem with the cover is that you can't use the phone with a stationary dock because the cover sticks straight down.

I'm of the mindset that you're better off just snapping the cover off anyway and keeping it in a safe spot somewhere IN THE EVENT that you might be in danger of getting it wet.

Better yet - pop off the USB cover and just get a Waterproof case for the phone that has a better port cover.
    05-12-2014 05:13 PM
    That's pretty much common sense regarding positioning the flap isn't it? I've been doing this since day one but I have to believe others have too and it still broke. Mine is fine at the moment though.

Look at page 10 of the s5 manual. It shows three pictures of the port cover twisted up and to the right. It should be opened at a 90 degree angle and rest against the side of the USB 3.0 connector.

That twisting could place stress on the flap. Maybe that is what all these folks with broken flaps did.

How do others interpret those pictures? I'd be interested to see those views.

In any event that flap is NOT necessary to the use of the port cover and the port cover is NOT necessary to use the phone.

If you actually lost the port cover, just keep using the s5 as everyone uses their kindles - none have charging port covers.
    Eclipse2K likes this.
    05-12-2014 05:32 PM
463 ... 45678 ...