Charger Cover Broke

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I got my phone back from Samsung today with a nice new shiny USB port Cover attached to it. I did put in a complaint to Samsung at the same time and they recommended that I get it out of the repair shop and take it back to the provider I got it from. I ignored this advice and left it for Samsung to fix as the provider would have just sent it to Samsung for repair!!.

Samsung did not charge me anything to fix it. It did take them three weeks though.

Anyway, I have an external battery charger so will not need to open the port cover that often. And when I do have to open it I have ordered two spare USB port covers for when it breaks again.

Bad design. Bad quality control. Just bad.

Is this nice new shiny usb port cover made any differently than the one it replaced?

Mst99

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Which wireless charger do you have? Does it bulged the back out just enough where the phone is no longer water proof? I'd gladly go wireless but I've read that the third party cards are too bulky and the Samsung version (that isn't out yet as far as I know) will make the phone too thick to fit in most cases. I'm being uber careful with the usb door but I know it's probably just a matter of time before it breaks.

I bought one from Amazon, JIAKE Qi Wireless. It's from China, so probably won't last long . It's tight, but it "seems" like the seal is making full contact. But honestly, I'm not 100% sure.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I bought one from Amazon, JIAKE Qi Wireless. It's from China, so probably won't last long . It's tight, but it "seems" like the seal is making full contact. But honestly, I'm not 100% sure.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

You can tell by the camera area. The cover sits flush stock but will bulge upwards if any thickness added.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

macscac

May 13, 2012
Visit site
out of sheer paranoia i removed the charger cover today.
i have no fingernails anyhow so i was always needing to find something to pop that cover off anyhow so in all honestly, its nice just being able to plug in and go.
ill put it back on when i sell the phone.

Doug Rogers1

May 15, 2014
Visit site
out of sheer paranoia i removed the charger cover today.
i have no fingernails anyhow so i was always needing to find something to pop that cover off anyhow so in all honestly, its nice just being able to plug in and go.
ill put it back on when i sell the phone.
You are now chatting with Sophia

System:*You are now chatting with 'Sophia'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

System:*Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK112560822632X

Agent:*Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

You:*my phone want listed in the support column, I have a Samsung Galaxy S5

You:*My charging port cover became detached yesterday.

Agent:*I understand that your charging port cover was broke. Is that correct?

You:*Fortunately I did not lose the cover and I would like to see what I need to do to get it repaired?

You:*yes

Agent:*I understand your concern. I am sorry; Physical/liquid damages are not covered under the Samsung warranty.

Agent:*However, you can reach your place of purchase and check the replacement options.

You:*the only damage is the cover is no longer attached to the phone!

You:*the phone is only 3 weeks old today

Agent:*Yes, I understand that. You can also send the phone to Samsung service center and pay the repair cost and get it fixed under service technicians.

You:*Why would samsung make a waterproof/dustproof phone and not stand behind it?

Agent:*Sorry; the device is a water resistant device, water-resistant up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. And it is not a completely water proof device.

Agent:*As the device is purchased recently, I recommend you to contact the place of purchase for the replacement options.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You are now chatting with Sophia

System:*You are now chatting with 'Sophia'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

System:*Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK112560822632X

Agent:*Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

You:*my phone want listed in the support column, I have a Samsung Galaxy S5

You:*My charging port cover became detached yesterday.

Agent:*I understand that your charging port cover was broke. Is that correct?

You:*Fortunately I did not lose the cover and I would like to see what I need to do to get it repaired?

You:*yes

Agent:*I understand your concern. I am sorry; Physical/liquid damages are not covered under the Samsung warranty.

Agent:*However, you can reach your place of purchase and check the replacement options.

You:*the only damage is the cover is no longer attached to the phone!

You:*the phone is only 3 weeks old today

Agent:*Yes, I understand that. You can also send the phone to Samsung service center and pay the repair cost and get it fixed under service technicians.

You:*Why would samsung make a waterproof/dustproof phone and not stand behind it?

Agent:*Sorry; the device is a water resistant device, water-resistant up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. And it is not a completely water proof device.

Agent:*As the device is purchased recently, I recommend you to contact the place of purchase for the replacement options.

I swear these chat representatives don't even know what you're referring to. You may be better off explaining the situation clearly to Samsung phone support and see where that goes. If needed sometimes telling them a very detailed thread with multiple users on AC and other forums are complaining too. Its obviously not your fault it broke.

jillvw

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I have had my s5 for 3 weeks (switched from an iPhone after 7 years) and love it! However, this morning upon waking and removing the charger from the port, my cover also broke off. I didn't even touch the cover! The Plastic/rubber piece seems to have come unhinged from the cover, as others have noted. No, I have not been "rough" with it. Anyway, from the advice here, I decided to call Att about the issue and they "can't do anything" but after much prodding, they said they would pay Samsung ' s fee and ended up crediting $100 to my account for Samsung and inconvenience. Then they called Samsung for me and they were not helpful. I asked to be transferred and the gave me "advanced tech support". They all gave me the same answer...that I have to send my phone in and it will take 7-10 days round trip. Not acceptable. It's my only phone and I am home with my baby. So now, after more than an hour on the phone and no resolution, I am awaiting a call from a different supervisor.

Of course they would not fess up to their manufacturing error and will not just send me that damn little piece to screw in. As if I want to get a free one and sell it or something? ! Ugh so frustrating. And yes, the waterproof thing is important for me as I have a toddler who gets in to everything and it's one reason I switched from the iphone.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I have had my s5 for 3 weeks (switched from an iPhone after 7 years) and love it! However, this morning upon waking and removing the charger from the port, my cover also broke off. I didn't even touch the cover! The Plastic/rubber piece seems to have come unhinged from the cover, as others have noted. No, I have not been "rough" with it. Anyway, from the advice here, I decided to call Att about the issue and they "can't do anything" but after much prodding, they said they would pay Samsung ' s fee and ended up crediting $100 to my account for Samsung and inconvenience. Then they called Samsung for me and they were not helpful. I asked to be transferred and the gave me "advanced tech support". They all gave me the same answer...that I have to send my phone in and it will take 7-10 days round trip. Not acceptable. It's my only phone and I am home with my baby. So now, after more than an hour on the phone and no resolution, I am awaiting a call from a different supervisor.

Of course they would not fess up to their manufacturing error and will not just send me that damn little piece to screw in. As if I want to get a free one and sell it or something? ! Ugh so frustrating. And yes, the waterproof thing is important for me as I have a toddler who gets in to everything and it's one reason I switched from the iphone.

I sent my to Samsung to get it fixed and they did fix it without charging me. However it took three weeks.

I have also bought two covers. There is a link to it in this thread. These covers arrived today after about 10 days. They cost $19.99 each.

Posted via Android Central App

Karen Kymla

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have only had the phone since Thursday AM and when i went to go open the cover charger this afternoon to charge the phone, the cover came off totally from the phone. Is anyone else had this issue yet?

Yep. Mine broke yesterday and I have been very careful with it. Samsung needs a fix for this.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I won't post any links but one can google "witrigs" to order a replacement USB Port cover for $ 19.99 and another $ 4.99 for a special screw driver to attach it.

As I mentioned several times before, that cover should be opened at a 90 degree angle and NOT twisted up or down. It should lie parallel to the USB connector. It is the twisting which breaks the flap.

Place it on a flat surface like a table and gently use one's finger nail to pry off the corner not having the flap. Then use the USB connector to ease the cover back to 90 degrees and then plug it in.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I won't post any links but one can google "witrigs" to order a replacement USB Port cover for $ 19.99 and another $ 4.99 for a special screw driver to attach it.

As I mentioned several times before, that cover should be opened at a 90 degree angle and NOT twisted up or down. It should lie parallel to the USB connector. It is the twisting which breaks the flap.

Place it on a flat surface like a table and gently use one's finger nail to pry off the corner not having the flap. Then use the USB connector to ease the cover back to 90 degrees and then plug it in.

But make sure you're in UPSM right? LOL.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
But make sure you're in UPSM right? LOL.

The part is called, "OEM USB Cover Flap for Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F." Good luck for anyone who needs it. Just be careful in the future so you don't have to keep ordering new ones every week.

And, yes, for those with massive battery drainage problems, try UPSM when you are sleeping. You may be pleasantly surprised.

ironkittenn

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for a little over a month and the cover broke off too last nite. Can't press it back on because there is still a little piece of the plastic connecting tether piece is what snapped and is still attached to the cover. Samsung said they could repair it for a $75.00 charge. Verizon wants to send me a replacement with the caveat that there's a 10% chance that it'd be refurbished as opposed to a new one since the phone is so new and fee have been returned. Suggestions anyone???
Kat

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for a little over a month and the cover broke off too last nite. Can't press it back on because there is still a little piece of the plastic connecting tether piece is what snapped and is still attached to the cover. Samsung said they could repair it for a $75.00 charge. Verizon wants to send me a replacement with the caveat that there's a 10% chance that it'd be refurbished as opposed to a new one since the phone is so new and fee have been returned. Suggestions anyone???
Kat

Go for it. Certified Like New Replacements tend to be just as good as a new one but we tend to get upset since we bought a new device. Or you could just be a sneaky person and accept the phone, remove the charging port cover from the new device, out it on the old and apply the broken one to the new one. Honestly doesn't matter in the end if you want to just keep your device. Especially if they're aware of the issue already and you're not hiding it.

*Do at your own discretion. I'd more than likely do this because I'm not about to buy a new screen protector since Tempered Glass isn't cheap.

ironkittenn

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Go for it. Certified Like New Replacements tend to be just as good as a new one but we tend to get upset since we bought a new device. Or you could just be a sneaky person and accept the phone, remove the charging port cover from the new device, out it on the old and apply the broken one to the new one. Honestly doesn't matter in the end if you want to just keep your device. Especially if they're aware of the issue already and you're not hiding it.

*Do at your own discretion. I'd more than likely do this because I'm not about to buy a new screen protector since Tempered Glass isn't cheap.

Hey, thanks for the advice. And to be honest, I have considered your suggestion even BEFORE you posted. LOL This is just so frustrating tho and the one flaw I see with the phone. Love it otherwise. Thanks again,
Kat

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the advice. And to be honest, I have considered your suggestion even BEFORE you posted. LOL This is just so frustrating tho and the one flaw I see with the phone. Love it otherwise. Thanks again,
Kat

No problem. Why should you have to continue to waste your time on reprogramming replacements and buying display protectors? Its just plain dumb and Samsung has no one to blame but themselves. Normally I wouldn't even bring that suggestion up as these things are usually user error. However, in this case with all the reports of broken doors why should we care about their policy regarding broken devices? Its not physical damage but rather poor design damage.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Kat

Or you could buy a replacement cover yourself for about $19.99 and fix it yourself. Then you'd know that the phone is not refurbished.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Or you could buy a replacement cover yourself for about $19.99 and fix it yourself. Then you'd know that the phone is not refurbished.

Except that's ridiculous. The replacement cover will most likely be susceptible to the same breaking issue as the current ones. Now they're out $20 and need to spend another $20. Repeat this at least once a month and you have the most expensive phone you've ever owned.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000