Charger Cover Broke

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
That's ridiculous. I'm buying that wireless charging cover as soon as its available. Hopefully my cover doesn't break before that or I'll have to raise some hell.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

The question is when will the wireless charging back going to available?

I've never used wireless charging, but the combination of both the difficulty of opening the charging cover, and the risk of it snapping off, is enough reason for me to go to wireless charging.

Posted via Android Central App

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The question is when will the wireless charging back going to available?

I've never used wireless charging, but the combination of both the difficulty of opening the charging cover, and the risk of it snapping off, is enough reason for me to go to wireless charging.

There are a few people who have gotten them but its rare. Samsung told me within the next month but we shall see. Also, I am not sure about the OEM charging plate but the Tylt Vu is an exceptional dock due to its design.

stansroga

May 12, 2014
Visit site
My charger flap broke off after 3 weeks of light use. Samsung's door attachment is just a bad design. I had an LG Spectrum, that had a charger flap, for 2 years with no problem. Verizon said just do not open the door on the S5. Samsung said the door is not covered under their one year warranty but they would fix it for $70.36. The turnaround time is 9 days. Samsung also warned me that the phone is not water resistant without the door. Note, there is a $20 replacement at witrigs.com.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
My charger flap broke off after 3 weeks of light use. Samsung's attachment is just a bad design. I had an LG Spectrum, that had a charger flap, for 2 years with no problem. Verizon said just do not open the door on the S5. Samsung said the door is not covered under their one year warranty but they would fix it for $70.36. The turnaround time is 9 days. Samsung also warned me that the phone is not water resistant without the door. Note, there is a $20 replacement at witrigs.com.

Don't open the door? Ummmm....did they suggest an alternative to charging it? The wireless backs won't be available for 2-4 months

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
You don't need the flap. The cover can be inserted firmly and will hold without the flap. Just be careful not to lose the cover when charging.

Finally, water proofing is NOT necessary for the s5 to operate properly. None of my other computers, kindles or cell phones were water proof and all worked just fine. Just don't go swimming with it. Thus, even if the cover was lost, the phone is NOT damaged.

Samsung's mistake was to even try to waterproof an electronic device and then to advertise it. By the way, even with the cover the phone is not really waterproof anyway. It only protects against light water exposure and, personally, I'd never want to test that.

The weakness of the flap is that it can NOT be twisted up or down. It can only be opened at a 90 degree angle and should rest parallel to the USB connector plug. There should have been a warning not ever to twist the flap.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You don't need the flap. The cover can be inserted firmly and will hold without the flap. Just be careful not to lose the cover when charging.

Finally, water proofing is NOT necessary for the s5 to operate properly. None of my other computers, kindles or cell phones were water proof and all worked just fine. Just don't go swimming with it. Thus, even if the cover was lost, the phone is NOT damaged.

Samsung's mistake was to even try to waterproof an electronic device and then to advertise it. By the way, even with the cover the phone is not really waterproof anyway. It only protects against light water exposure and, personally, I'd never want to test that.

The weakness of the flap is that it can NOT be twisted up or down. It can only be opened at a 90 degree angle and should rest parallel to the USB connector plug. There should have been a warning not ever to twist the flap.

That's pretty much common sense regarding positioning the flap isn't it? I've been doing this since day one but I have to believe others have too and it still broke. Mine is fine at the moment though.

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

The other problem with the cover is that you can't use the phone with a stationary dock because the cover sticks straight down.

I'm of the mindset that you're better off just snapping the cover off anyway and keeping it in a safe spot somewhere IN THE EVENT that you might be in danger of getting it wet.

Better yet - pop off the USB cover and just get a Waterproof case for the phone that has a better port cover.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
That's pretty much common sense regarding positioning the flap isn't it? I've been doing this since day one but I have to believe others have too and it still broke. Mine is fine at the moment though.

Look at page 10 of the s5 manual. It shows three pictures of the port cover twisted up and to the right. It should be opened at a 90 degree angle and rest against the side of the USB 3.0 connector.

That twisting could place stress on the flap. Maybe that is what all these folks with broken flaps did.

How do others interpret those pictures? I'd be interested to see those views.

In any event that flap is NOT necessary to the use of the port cover and the port cover is NOT necessary to use the phone.

If you actually lost the port cover, just keep using the s5 as everyone uses their kindles - none have charging port covers.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
It's unfortunate the Covers break.

All the forums I read Samsung isn't the greatest when it comes to customer service.

Honestly they could've avoided this by making it Wireless Charging out of the box or in Sony's case include Magnetic Charging Ports, I love my Z2 for it.

Both are amazing but this is the reason why I'm keeping the Z2, honestly I hate this issue with Samsung.

Pro Z2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Look at page 10 of the s5 manual. It shows three pictures of the port cover twisted up and to the right. It should be opened at a 90 degree angle and rest against the side of the USB 3.0 connector.

That twisting could place stress on the flap. Maybe that is what all these folks with broken flaps did.

How do others interpret those pictures? I'd be interested to see those views.

In any event that flap is NOT necessary to the use of the port cover and the port cover is NOT necessary to use the phone.

If you actually lost the port cover, just keep using the s5 as everyone uses their kindles - none have charging port covers.

While I agree with you on this the idea is still not acceptable in the end. I don't really need it and can live without it but I guess it's the principle that we bought the phone like this and it shouldn't break so easily. With that said, I am very careful so I may be able to survive for a bit without a breakage.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The other problem with the cover is that you can't use the phone with a stationary dock because the cover sticks straight down.

I'm of the mindset that you're better off just snapping the cover off anyway and keeping it in a safe spot somewhere IN THE EVENT that you might be in danger of getting it wet.

Better yet - pop off the USB cover and just get a Waterproof case for the phone that has a better port cover.

You don't need to snap it off. You could just remove it easily with unscrewing 1 screw

-Sent from Tapatalk

Latonya Gibson

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes I have the same problem after 2 weeks my charger cover broke. went to the store they sent me to the warranty center, the warranty center told me to call customer care so that is my next step.

Fillyo

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what all the issues are, I have had no issues opening my cover with my fingernail. I only charge it every day and a half or so, but I am not worried about durability.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I got my phone back from Samsung today with a nice new shiny USB port Cover attached to it. I did put in a complaint to Samsung at the same time and they recommended that I get it out of the repair shop and take it back to the provider I got it from. I ignored this advice and left it for Samsung to fix as the provider would have just sent it to Samsung for repair!!.

Samsung did not charge me anything to fix it. It did take them three weeks though.

Anyway, I have an external battery charger so will not need to open the port cover that often. And when I do have to open it I have ordered two spare USB port covers for when it breaks again.

Bad design. Bad quality control. Just bad.

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm being extra careful with mine. I came from the s4 and hadn't had a charger cover yet. I have a hard time putting the cover back where it's supposed to go after a charge though. There's like a technique to it.

Mst99

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I cringe everytime I open mine, which isn't very often with wireless charging and three batteries. The design reminds me of the old water pistols water fill cap.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I cringe everytime I open mine, which isn't very often with wireless charging and three batteries. The design reminds me of the old water pistols water fill cap.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Which wireless charger do you have? Does it bulged the back out just enough where the phone is no longer water proof? I'd gladly go wireless but I've read that the third party cards are too bulky and the Samsung version (that isn't out yet as far as I know) will make the phone too thick to fit in most cases. I'm being uber careful with the usb door but I know it's probably just a matter of time before it breaks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza