Charger Cover Broke

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
No kidding. I think that user literally copy and pastes the same post over and over again about how you don't need it and you can just go buy one.

Personally, I don't wanna spend an extra $20 to replace some flap that costs probably 10 cents to manufacture

-Sent from Tapatalk

Exactly.

Based on this logic I guess it would be okay if my gas cap "chain" just fell off too. You know, because we don't need it. :/

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Cornjerker1977

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I've had my phone a month and mine has fallen off too...I was opening it up the other night to charge it and the whole thing fell on the floor. It broke off where it attaches to the phone. I called Samsung and they will replace it for $70.00, you have to ship the phone in...not acceptable as far as I'm concerned. :mad: It is not covered under the warranty...It's ridiculous. I've had Motorola phones with the same thing and never had any problem. Needless to say, I am not happy and Samsung heard about it - they were no help at all...Highly disappointing that they don't take care of their customers especially after what these phones cost. I saw on another post that you can order online the piece and a small screwdriver to fix it yourself for around $24.00...I just might do that, but I'm still ticked - it's obviously a defective part and they should back it. :mad:

J_Sunner

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I got my S5 about a month ago only to have the charger cover also snap off. I've went back to my provider and they have stated that since it has exceeded 15 days they will not replace or repair. I intend to take it to Samsung , however, hearing from the past incidents above I expect they will charge me $70. I do not intend on paying another $70 after I have spent so much on this phone. Can you advise me on where you were able to find a replacement cover ? I'm hoping it simply is replaced with a new phone from Samsung although.

Last edited:

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I had the same thing happen to me (had my phone for 3 weeks). Cover fell off. I had kept up with this thread and called Big Red to see what they could do. Gave me the run-around for about 20 minutes until I starting asking for a supervisor, etc. Finally the tech came back and admitted that the phone without the stupid cover is now no longer water resistant based upon what was marketed and agreed to overnight me a new one even though I was past the 2 week return period. I guess the moral of the story is that you cannot just "accept" what they say to you - make your argument!!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How many of you folks with broken port cover flaps have purchased after market, non-Samsung cases for the s5? I'm beginning to think the cases do not provide enough clearance to open the port cover flap.

I have a Samsung S-View flip cover replacement s5 back cover with a flip front cover. There is plenty of clearance on mine to open the port cover. It could be some of the non-Samsung after market cases are really the problem.

If that is the situation, buying a new port cover won't help and getting a new s5 won't help either. That also means the fault is not poor design by Samsung but rather poor design of some of the after market cases.

No most are saying it snapped off. That is a quality issue.. Case or not. It shouldn't be that easy to snap off. It's almost as if the home button had to be pressed a certain way or it would snap off... Wouldn't make sense.

The charging cover should pop open and closed without needing an exact 90 degree angle perfectly like you said in precious posts. People want to simply take it off and plug the phone in.. The port should allow that without snapping off.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
No most are saying it snapped off. That is a quality issue.. Case or not. It shouldn't be that easy to snap off. It's almost as if the home button had to be pressed a certain way or it would snap off... Wouldn't make sense.

The charging cover should pop open and closed without needing an exact 90 degree angle perfectly like you said in precious posts. People want to simply take it off and plug the phone in.. The port should allow that without snapping off.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Those are very good points. However, when situations like this happen, one should look for solutions. Complaining just makes folks feel bad. Some carriers may replace the phone but the defect is probably with the entire line of s5's. Thus, the replacement s5 may have exactly the same problem.

If folks search this thread, the proper way of opening the cover is shown. It is based on the logic of not imposing stress on the connector flap. Once one gets used to it, it should not be a big problem.

Also, some have reported here that Samsung was charging $ 70 for the replacement and loss of use of the phone for a period of time. Again, this thread can be searched for the $ 19.99 cover and a $ 4.99 screw driver. Some may have compatible screw drivers in their PC tool kits and may not need the screw driver.

Like every other problem with software and hardware bugs do occur. One can scream, complain and rant and just get more miserable or look for the work around. This thread contains both workarounds.

Samsung should correct future models of the s5 to prevent the same occurrence for future customers and maybe Samsung should offer the $ 19.99 replacement cover in their own store either from their own suppliers or the one shown above in this thread. Maybe Samsung should even send out an email to all s5 customers of the proper way to open the port cover without inducing stress.

At a minimum the s5 PDF manual SHOULD DEFINITELY be corrected to show the proper way to open the port cover. There is no logical reason to suppress this information.

Since there are so many complaints about this problem, maybe the Moderators could sticky the one post of the proper way to open the flap. Also, I notice lots of ads in this Forum. Maybe the producer of the replacement port cover can be persuaded to advertise here. I'm sure he would pick up lots of sales and it would make it easier for posters here to find the part.

jenpossy

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 112887

The part is robust and, more importantly, immenently repairable. No one on this board needs to send it out for repair...a small screw driver and 5 minutes replaces the part. We just need Sammy to release the part (which I have little doubt they or a third party will do soon). And, to be clear, the white part is screwed in. The original poster on XDA (who only has 14 posts) said s/he couldn't fix it. Just for giggles, I removed my door today and put it right back on. It looked just like the above picture so I don't see why it couldn't be fixed. Heck, it doesn't even look broken, just disassembled.

Bottom line: without wireless charging (which is an option), to have water resistance, you need a moving part. I prefer the solution that Sammy picked over more elegant designs like a sliding door because when it breaks (and all moving parts break at a certain rate), it's easier to fix.

This seem like a tempest in a tea pot to me. I guess Lincoln was right when he was talking about pleasing everyone.

okay is it just me or does it look like it got melted and slightly burned??? that phone should be taken back and exchanged!

jestep_97

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Just adding that mine has yet to break, but it has gotten easier and easier to put on and take off each time. So, not sure it is totally secure anymore. This is pretty bad design.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I just bought another microSD card, Lexar 64GB Class 10 (got a $25 Best Buy gift card through Petro Points) for $16.

I'm just waiting for Samsung Wireless back cover. Once it arrive I will no longer have to access the BS flap cover.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
A lot of phones look like that. It's unfortunate

-Sent from Tapatalk

Huh? Are you implying that the cover/bezel is burned or melted? That's not even an issue here. But yes that discoluloration on the bezel looks extremely bad.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Huh? Are you implying that the cover/bezel is burned or melted? That's not even an issue here. But yes that discoluloration on the bezel looks extremely bad.

It's not burned or melted, it's just a discoloration from the paint job

-Sent from Tapatalk

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I just bought another microSD card, Lexar 64GB Class 10 (got a $25 Best Buy gift card through Petro Points) for $16.

I'm just waiting for Samsung Wireless back cover. Once it arrive I will no longer have to access the BS flap cover.
Unless you need to charge in the car or work... or somewhere else besides home :)

jrzygirl272

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy 5 has a flaw. The USB cover that protects the phone from water easily breaks off. I spoke today to TMobile, Assurant Insurance, and Samsung. This is considered "physical damage". We, the customer, are responsible. Mine broke and per research, many others are having this issue. Insurance will replace with $200 deductible or Samsung will replace with $70 deductible. So the number 1 selling point is a lie and because of flaw in phone, consumers are now being charged to fix. I told Samsung I was taking this to social media. Posting anywhere I can. :) Very unhappy customer here. :(

Susan Kaufman

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Mine broke. I hate to return it just for that but I hate that there is this big hole in the bottom. The phones I had in the past that were connected with a thicker rubber lasted forever and those phones were crappy...not fancy like this one... hmmmm....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12