Charger Cover Broke

mgalaxia

May 23, 2014
Visit site
My charger port cover broke off and Sprint said that they never heard of that happening and it considered cosmetic simultaneously (huh?) refused to fix it under insurance or warranty..luckily Sam's Club where i purchased it originally returned it under their 30 day policy due to a defect..really anxious about this

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
$20 for something that should be about .25 and will most likely just break again in a few weeks?
Samsung needs to improve the design of the hinge, and then maybe I would purchase it.

For some reason Samsung is taking their sweet time with these Qi covers. I just want one before my cover breaks but no where has them except eBay. And those are the Qi Charger + Cover from Hong Kong which I avoid.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

R_Jenkins

May 26, 2014
Visit site
My charger cover also broke off after about a month. Called Samsung and they want me to send my phone in to assess if I damaged it or it was a defect. I was VERY careful with the cover. I think this is becoming a common issue which is an indication of a problem. I am also expected to send the phone in at my expense.
I think it is a problem with the adhesive used to attach the cover. I have to send them my phone and wait about 2 weeks or so to get it back. I'm not pleased with this, but without the cover the phone isn't waterproof...which is one of the reasons I bought it. This phone wasn't cheap. I've been team Galaxy since Galaxy S. I'm looking at HTC or Apple for my next phone. Customer service was horrible it seemed as if I was annoying her. I can replace the entire phone with Assurion to the tune of 175. No Thanks that would bring the total to appx. 700. I don't think it's worth that much... especially with a flimsy charger cover.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My charger cover also broke off after about a month. Called Samsung and they want me to send my phone in to assess if I damaged it or it was a defect. I was VERY careful with the cover. I think this is becoming a common issue which is an indication on a problem. I am also expected to send to Samsung at my expense.
I think it is a problem with the adhesive used to attach the cover. I have to send them my phone and wait about 2 weeks or so to get it back. I'm not pleased with this, but without the cover the phone isn't waterproof...which is one of the reasons I bought it. This phone wasn't cheap. I've been team Galaxy since Galaxy S. I'm looking at HTC for my next phone.

Please understand that even with the cover the device isn't waterproof. Its IP67 Certified which means its water resistant and that by no means you should go swimming with it or intentionally submerging it into water.

With that out of the way its important to remember that the cover snapping from the phone doesn't impact the water resistance. The only thing this does is force you to keep track of the cover which in itself is unacceptable. With that said I understand the annoyance and its a bad design by Samsung. We just need misinformation at a minimum here so I'm clarifying.

As for sending the device in to Samsung I'd avoid doing so. Samsung will just replace the cover with the same cover you had break once and you'll be down this road again. My cover is holding up just fine but I only open it up just wide enough for the charging plug to have room to plug in. I'm not sure how much others are doing it but that's my experience and so far so good.

Lastly, don't jump on Team HTC just yet. Read the HTC One M8 forums here and check out the camera lens issues. Scratched lenses all over that impact image quality.

R_Jenkins

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I'll be sure to do that. I really appreciate the info. I saw this You tube video by TechSmart were this guy submerged the phone in a pool, put it in a washing machine and dried it and the phone still worked perfectly. I developed a phone crush from that point on...lol. I gave my S4 to my husband; didn't research, pressed the "I believe button" and got the S5. Aside from that I do love my phone (despite my tantrum over the cover thing) 😁😄

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
For some reason Samsung is taking their sweet time with these Qi covers. I just want one before my cover breaks but no where has them except eBay. And those are the Qi Charger + Cover from Hong Kong which I avoid.

Do you really think that'll solve it? I have a charging pad and cover and still find myself popping open the cover to charge in the car and when I'm on the go because wireless charging is way too slow

-Sent from Tapatalk

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Do you really think that'll solve it? I have a charging pad and cover and still find myself popping open the cover to charge in the car and when I'm on the go because wireless charging is way too slow

-Sent from Tapatalk

Depends if you need to keep opening the cover or not. I only need to charge at night or while I'm chilling at home so I can do with the cover. I had Qi on a Droid Maxx and loved it just for the simplicity. On the other hand I do think its ridiculous I'm going to spend nearly $100 for the convenience of slower charging. ;)

The only issue is I'm still wondering if Diztronic TPU will fit the cover. It always did on the Note 3 and S4 but who knows.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Depends if you need to keep opening the cover or not. I only need to charge at night or while I'm chilling at home so I can do with the cover. I had Qi on a Droid Maxx and loved it just for the simplicity. On the other hand I do think its ridiculous I'm going to spend nearly $100 for the convenience of slower charging. ;)

You can get a Qi charger for $18.99 on eBay and it comes with the charging pad.

Yes it is slower, but when I am asleep I don't seem to notice that.

* Qi Wireless Charging kit I am using

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You can get a Qi charger for $18.99 on eBay and it comes with the charging pad.

Yes it is slower, but when I am asleep I don't seem to notice that.

* Qi Wireless Charging kit I am using

I would want the Tylt Vu. As for those Qi Pads that you place inside the battery cover it's not worth it. All of them sacrifice the water resistance. Not that I really need it but if I didn't want the safety net I'd just remove the charging port cover.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Your best bet is to just order a couple of the $20 replacements found in this thread. This way you're not without your phone and let's face it, it's a bad design and it will happen again. I've had my S5 since 4-22 and so far so good but I'm also really careful to open the tab straight back, not angle it above or below the phone.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Your best bet is to just order a couple of the $20 replacements found in this thread. This way you're not without your phone and let's face it, it's a bad design and it will happen again. I've had my S5 since 4-22 and so far so good but I'm also really careful to open the tab straight back, not angle it above or below the phone.

Do you people who suggest this even think before posting this solution? People spent between $200-$600 for this phone plus any tax and fees. Now you're telling them to order new covers for $20 which are bound to break again and then its $20 wasted.

You said it yourself that its a bad design and will happen again. Suggesting to spend more money just so it happens again is ridiculous and pointless.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Do you people who suggest this even think before posting this solution? People spent between $200-$600 for this phone plus any tax and fees. Now you're telling them to order new covers for $20 which are bound to break again and then its $20 wasted.

You said it yourself that its a bad design and will happen again. Suggesting to spend more money just so it happens again is ridiculous and pointless.

And not only did he/she say one, but a "couple" LMAO

-Sent from Tapatalk

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have had my S5 since the AT&T April 11 launch day and my cover is still attached. I just don't understand why the warranty wouldn't cover this.

Last edited:

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

The alternative is to send the phone back for repair each time that thing breaks off. It took Samsung 3 weeks to repair mine after 8 days of owning it. To follow your logic I'd be without my phone 3 weeks out of every 4 or thereabouts. Where is the sense in that? I bought two of the port covers and also an external battery charger. I have only opened the port 3 times since I have had it back and I know it will break again.

This will be my last Samsung phone. I have told them so. But in the meantime I want it in my possession fully protected so it is not a ridiculous or stupid idea to buy these things. It is totally unjustified and unwarranted and down to bad design and/or manufacturer.

chrisfromwa1

May 22, 2014
Visit site

Exactly what I was thinking,
If these replacements were maybe a couple dollars, I would maybe go that route. But not for $20 a pop, and will most likely just break again a week or so later.

It's a flawed design, that should never have been released to production. Expecting their customers to just keep buying replacements over and over again. I already spent enough on the purchase of the phone itself, and now them saying to just keep sending it in or buying more replacements is ridiculous.

I will just not buy another Samsung product again, unless they stand behind their products.

William Todtz

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Had the same issue when the phone was 3 weeks old. Called customer support and found out that Samsung calls it 'physical damage.' At which point I replied, 'No ****, it broke.' Physical damage is not covered by the warranty, and will cost $70.30 to get fixed and take about two weeks of not having your phone.
Beats me why I have to pay for Samsung's poor design and engineering. I imagine most people will have this problem eventually.