Charger Cover Broke

chrisfromwa1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
They sure do like that 'physical damage' line.
Won't tell anyone what that actually means either, they basically just want to get your phone in their hands and then try and charge you $70 to replace that little piece.

chrisfromwa1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
They apparently are just going to ignore the issue, and delete comments on their Facebook page now.
Never buying anything from Samsung again, if this is how they treat their customers who buy their products.

chrisfromwa1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Their new trick is to hide these posts from the wall, so other customers can't see it.
The last one, 'Jake' asked for the model number and carrier. I supply it, and then they hid the post with no further response.

What a terrible company.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Do you people who suggest this even think before posting this solution? People spent between $200-$600 for this phone plus any tax and fees. Now you're telling them to order new covers for $20 which are bound to break again and then its $20 wasted.
You said it yourself that its a bad design and will happen again. Suggesting to spend more money just so it happens again is ridiculous and pointless.
Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

You need to relax. Your only other option is to keep sending the phone back to Samsung and be without it for a few weeks, my suggestion or return the phone and get something else. Decide and move on. I was merely offering a suggestion other than mailing it in and being without it for 3 weeks, my bad for trying to be helpful. And the reason I said a few is because 1) it will more than likely happen again 2) they come from China so it takes a little over a week to get here. Do I like having to spend extra money for the phone when I already paid for it? No, who would. As soon as the AT&T rep showed me the port cover I even remarked that's not going to last long, it's an obvious bad design. My suggestion was to merely offer another alternative, if you don't like it then don't order them. Also, if you can't afford $20 you really shouldn't be spending your money on a $200-$600 phone in the first place.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You need to relax. Your only other option is to keep sending the phone back to Samsung and be without it for a few weeks, my suggestion or return the phone and get something else. Decide and move on. I was merely offering a suggestion other than mailing it in and being without it for 3 weeks, my bad for trying to be helpful. And the reason I said a few is because 1) it will more than likely happen again 2) they come from China so it takes a little over a week to get here. Do I like having to spend extra money for the phone when I already paid for it? No, who would. As soon as the AT&T rep showed me the port cover I even remarked that's not going to last long, it's an obvious bad design. My suggestion was to merely offer another alternative, if you don't like it then don't order them. Also, if you can't afford $20 you really shouldn't be spending your money on a $200-$600 phone in the first place.

Are you telling me to relax? I'm quite relaxed but your suggestion is beyond ridiculous and so is your assertion that we shouldn't be buying a smartphone is we can't afford the $20. Who told you I couldn't afford the $20? I have a lot of nice things but the issue isn't the amount of money I make but rather the idea of throwing it away for no reason. I don't know about you but I don't want to throw money away on something that will just break again. No matter how you look at it that's a waste of $20. Who spends money knowing its going to break anyways? Plus, it ships from China so the odds of this cover actually being OEM and water resistant are 50/50. You mind as well just remove the broken cover rather than trust that thing.

I just don't understand how some one who agrees it will break can justify spending $20 for the privilege of it breaking again. You obviously understand the design flaw but in a way you're acting like its okay that its happening. Acura didn't claim physical damage when my 2012 TSX seat frame broke and caused the leather to expand and crack. No, they replaced both the frame and leather free of charge and gave me a loaner. That was a year after buying the car, not a week or month. There is physical damage from misuse and that from bad parts or design. Samsung has a bad design and needs to step up.

For the record mine hasn't broke at all and feels fine. That doesn't change my opinion though and I'm not speaking out of anger. I'm speaking out of common sense.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
What you guys need to do is to get the local media involved. Try and get the attention of tech radio and TV shows. There are a lot of local TV stations that have consumer protection segments on the news. This way you will paint Samsung as the bad guy and they will be forced to listen. Samsung does not want bad media over its flagship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mst99

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Samsung needs to man up and redesign the cover. Period. Then send it out to registered owners free of charge with install instructions. Anything less is unacceptable. They f'd up, they need to correct it.

Sent from my basement wearing a tinfoil hat.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
What you guys need to do is to get the local media involved. Try and get the attention of tech radio and TV shows. There are a lot of local TV stations that have consumer protection segments on the news. This way you will paint Samsung as the bad guy and they will be forced to listen. Samsung does not want bad media over its flagship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What really needs to happen is to have all the major android blogs including android central write an article on this. Everyone should forward the link to the thread to the respective blog editors

-Sent from Tapatalk

chrisfromwa1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
What really needs to happen is to have all the major android blogs including android central write an article on this. Everyone should forward the link to the thread to the respective blog editors

-Sent from Tapatalk

How do we raise this to their attention, who are the blog editors on this site?
I would really like to get this out there more.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
How do we raise this to their attention, who are the blog editors on this site?
I would really like to get this out there more.

I believe there is a button on the pc Web version that allows you to do it in the specific thread that allows you to flag it as newsworthy. Forgot exactly how to do it currently.

-Sent from Tapatalk

chrisfromwa1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I believe there is a button on the pc Web version that allows you to do it in the specific thread that allows you to flag it as newsworthy. Forgot exactly how to do it currently.

-Sent from Tapatalk

hmm, not seeing anything like that.
I wonder if it's because I'm still new here, and it doesn't allow me to have that option yet.

Anyone else see it, the more news about this being out there, the better chance we actually get a fix.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not surprised how Samsung is handling this. On RFD I lost count on the number of complaints on how poor customer service is.

Don't get me wrong, I took the easy way out spent $40 because I do love Wireless Charging. If it wasn't an option and my cover broke, I have NO PROBLEMS NOT BUYING ANOTHER SAMSUNG again. That's the beauty of android, there's always an OPTION!

This is why Apple is THE best when it comes to taking care of it's customers. I'm not just talking about their iPhones but Macs as well.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Are you telling me to relax? I'm quite relaxed but your suggestion is beyond ridiculous and so is your assertion that we shouldn't be buying a smartphone is we can't afford the $20. Who told you I couldn't afford the $20? I have a lot of nice things but the issue isn't the amount of money I make but rather the idea of throwing it away for no reason. I don't know about you but I don't want to throw money away on something that will just break again. No matter how you look at it that's a waste of $20. Who spends money knowing its going to break anyways? Plus, it ships from China so the odds of this cover actually being OEM and water resistant are 50/50. You mind as well just remove the broken cover rather than trust that thing.

I just don't understand how some one who agrees it will break can justify spending $20 for the privilege of it breaking again. You obviously understand the design flaw but in a way you're acting like its okay that its happening. Acura didn't claim physical damage when my 2012 TSX seat frame broke and caused the leather to expand and crack. No, they replaced both the frame and leather free of charge and gave me a loaner. That was a year after buying the car, not a week or month. There is physical damage from misuse and that from bad parts or design. Samsung has a bad design and needs to step up.

For the record mine hasn't broke at all and feels fine. That doesn't change my opinion though and I'm not speaking out of anger. I'm speaking out of common sense.

My suggestion is not ridiculous, it was merely an alternative solution to address the problem, you know, trying to be helpful (isn?t that what forums are for). Maybe Samsung will start providing replacement covers if the issue gets big enough, who knows but I sure don?t see them changing the design for the S5. Four people at my work have the S5 and none have had issues with their covers so who knows how big the issue really is; maybe it was one bad batch of covers that went to the manufacturers.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
If 100 folks have a broken port cover, then you will see nearly 100 complaints about broken covers and how bad the design is.

There are Billions of S5 phones out there and I don't see Billions of folks complaining about broken covers.

I also do NOT see any of those billions coming on and bragging about how their cover is doing just fine.

I for one, will be a single vote for "it is okay", it has not broken 'yet'.
will it? Maybe, but it hasn't so far.

I am aware of how it is made, and I treat it with respect. I suspect it will still be there for a year or so.

On the other hand, my wife has a LG phone with the tiniest of usb charger port covers.
Talk about fragile, it was 3 times worse than the S5 cover. It broke and we kept it for a while and replaced it when done.... then finally I said WTH and threw it away.

We don't usually wash our phones anyway, so why worry?

I never take a cellphone into the shower, or take it swimming. That is rediculous regardless of how well it might be "water Resistant".

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My suggestion is not ridiculous, it was merely an alternative solution to address the problem, you know, trying to be helpful (isn?t that what forums are for). Maybe Samsung will start providing replacement covers if the issue gets big enough, who knows but I sure don?t see them changing the design for the S5. Four people at my work have the S5 and none have had issues with their covers so who knows how big the issue really is; maybe it was one bad batch of covers that went to the manufacturers.

Either way there's far to many complaints. You also need to remember that the product you're recommending is shipping from China. There is a reasonable chance that the seal isn't actually part of the IP67 certification and won't help. In cases like this I don't recommend any aftermarket parts. Only buy from 100% trusted sources.

Plus, $20 for a port cover that cheaply made is ridiculous. I could deal with $7 if mine breaks but not $20. To each their own though.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
If 100 folks have a broken port cover, then you will see nearly 100 complaints about broken covers and how bad the design is.

There are Billions of S5 phones out there and I don't see Billions of folks complaining about broken covers.

I also do NOT see any of those billions coming on and bragging about how their cover is doing just fine.

I for one, will be a single vote for "it is okay", it has not broken 'yet'.
will it? Maybe, but it hasn't so far.

I am aware of how it is made, and I treat it with respect. I suspect it will still be there for a year or so...

I get what you're saying but why make this bigger than it is? Address it and shut it down why create negative attention, for a part that cost them a few bucks.

The design will fail it just doesn't even come close when compared to my Z2.

Pro S5

SanDeggo

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm not trying to be a jerk by any means by saying that "My cover is still perfectly functional". I just want people to know that I have had mine since launch and have yet to have a scare. I hope Samsung resolves this issue for you all.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Horrible assumption dude. Not everyone is forum savvy

-Sent from Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay