Charger Cover Broke

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't any Qi receiver cross the path of the seal in order to make contact? I could be wrong but I could swear I read this and if so that breaks the seal.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

I only have experience with the one I ordered and it is small enough to not cross the path of the seal.
it is also just a thin mylar wafer enclosing the wireless receiver coil, it does not have the much thicker plastic case like most that you see.

* Qi Standard Wireless Charger kit 'mine'

MzBinx

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I just bought myself a couple as i know ill break the new one! I dont even know when mine feel off, or where! So my phone is completely naked right now, and ironically my last phone (S4) died due to water damage.. so i gotta get me a few of these ASAP lol! :)

<link removed by moderator>

Last edited by a moderator:

joyce e

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Be careful of plastic cover on charger. Mine broke off a few weeks ago. I think my plastic phone case was not wide enough (speck), and caused the cover to break off. It's not designed well anyway. So please be extremely careful when charging phone. Samsung needs to change this ASAP! I love my phone except for this one problem. I believe almost everyone will have this happen until design is changed!!

joyce e

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
It seems that many people are having issues with the Samsung GalaxyS5 charger port breaking. I heard that you could buy a replacement cover online for $20. Not sure if this is a good idea. Samsung needs to advise owners of what is correct way to repair this. I hope Samsung will do something fast!!!

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
It seems that many people are having issues with the Samsung GalaxyS5 charger port breaking. I heard that you could buy a replacement cover online for $20. Not sure if this is a good idea. Samsung needs to advise owners of what is correct way to repair this. I hope Samsung will do something fast!!!

You can buy the replacement cover for about twenty beans and they are very simple to install - one screw and you're good to go. the cover needs to go left and right.....i.e. when you open it simply open it to the right just as far to plug in the charger. Don't go up and down with the cover or else.....:D

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Also, when closing it, do NOT force it closed.

Use a gentle pressure to help the slide to re-enter the case towards the right side and back.

Forcing the left side down and locked while the slide is still partially out will break it.

I always pull it out just a tad (at a 45 degree angle to the left) to get it lined up.
then I push inwards and help it to slide back into the case, and then draw my thumbnail across the cover from right to left.

Had my phone since launch day and the OEM cover still in like new condition.

Could they have used a better design?
IMO, yes....

but I am not the one who made the financial decisions on how much money to spend on that port cover.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
You can buy the replacement cover for about twenty beans and they are very simple to install - one screw and you're good to go. the cover needs to go left and right.....i.e. when you open it simply open it to the right just as far to plug in the charger. Don't go up and down with the cover or else.....:D

Here is a picture of how to open the port cover:

s5 port cover.jpg

Notice how the port cover MUST remain parallel to the connector and at no more than a 90 degree angle. The plastic tab connecting the port cover to the s5 does not have enough elasticity to be twisted up, down or more than 90 degrees without stress and possible breakage.

It is best to make the connection on a flat surface like a table or desk.

The witrigs site has replacement covers and appropriate screw drivers for a reasonable price. However, unless the connector is inserted EXACTLY like shown above, they will continue to break.

The part is labelled: "OEM USB Cover Flap for Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F Silver"

It is being sold by Witrigs for $ 15.99 with an optional $ 4.79 extra for an appropriate screw driver if required.

Call your nearest carrier store. They may also replace a broken cover for you free right in the store while you wait if it is within the warrenty period. If necessary, inform them of the witrigs site if they need to order the part.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Here is a picture of how to open the port cover:

View attachment 124329

Notice how the port cover MUST remain parallel to the connector and at no more than a 90 degree angle. The plastic tab connecting the port cover to the s5 does not have enough elasticity to be twisted up, down or more than 90 degrees without stress and possible breakage.

It is best to make the connection on a flat surface like a table or desk.

The witrigs site has replacement covers and appropriate screw drivers for a reasonable price. However, unless the connector is inserted EXACTLY like shown above, they will continue to break.

The part is labelled: "OEM USB Cover Flap for Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F Silver"

It is being sold by Witrigs for $ 15.99 with an optional $ 4.79 extra for an appropriate screw driver if required.

Call your nearest carrier store. They may also replace a broken cover for you free right in the store while you wait if it is within the warrenty period. If necessary, inform them of the witrigs site if they need to order the part.

Again, just because WitRigs claims its OEM doesn't necessarily make it true.

Thank you for posting that image though. I wonder how many of those that have broken covers followed that advice or pulled further. I have done it as you show since day one with no issues but that's not to say others haven't. :)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
my s5 900F covers fine u can get a new one eBay £3 post paid from Hong Kong easy to fit yourself

Again, does anyone actually believe the Hong Kong covers match the IP67 certification? I don't care if they fit well. The fact is there's a rather high chance it does just as much as not having a cover at all.

Gadget_Radar

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Just cheap cheap crap. They should have had a sliding cover instead of a cheap flimsy crap from China.
Just more junk that should cost about 3 cents to buy, and they want $19.00 for the flimsy poorly designed BS.
Last Samsung I will ever purchase. I'm tired of buying junk from China.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Just cheap cheap crap. They should have had a sliding cover instead of a cheap flimsy crap from China.
Just more junk that should cost about 3 cents to buy, and they want $19.00 for the flimsy poorly designed BS.
Last Samsung I will ever purchase. I'm tired of buying junk from China.

All electronic devices are made in China: cell phones, TV's,. PC's, etc. Samsung is a Korean brand but still made in China. Apple is an American brand but still made in China. Sony is a Japanese brand, but since the Fukushima disaster, still made in China. Live with it.

Innovation comes from America and Japan but manufacturing is ALL China. If they were not manufactured in China, the retail price would quadruple.

If China ever shuts down for some reason, there will be no more adult toys for anyone on the planet.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
All electronic devices are made in China: cell phones, TV's,. PC's, etc. Samsung is a Korean brand but still made in China. Apple is an American brand but still made in China. Sony is a Japanese brand, but since the Fukushima disaster, still made in China. Live with it.

Innovation comes from America and Japan but manufacturing is ALL China. If they were not manufactured in China, the retail price would quadruple.

If China ever shuts down for some reason, there will be no more adult toys for anyone on the planet.

Most phones retail for $500+ yet cost under $200 to make. They could do it just fine but choose not to.

ogdlow

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Went to Verizon yesterday. They are sending me a new phone... STILL CAN'T BELIEVE HOW FAST THIS COVER BROKE.. I did order replacement parts.. I got five of them.
But they are made in Hong Kong and they just don't fit as snug....

Nekomom

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I just finished with taking to tech support and I can't believe that the port is defective
And they want me to mail the part to prove it's broke. I found a short fix put the piece in left side attachment facing left despite it attaches on right should pop in easily once it breaks it won't go in the original way . Now apply clear tape along port long ways and to back of phone. Open port on left side it should flip down now. Just a quick way to keep it on and not lose it till samsung sends replacement pop in ports or fix.

Last edited:

jstoddard365

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Technically it is water resistant but it can be submersed in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. Not just get splashed a little. So a broken cover basically removes that feature.

GratfulDon

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
That's the part ... mine broke apart last night. the rubber hinge separated from the metal cover. i tried crazy gluing it, but it fell right off.
And, after way to long on the phone with customer support:
1) NOT covered under warranty
2) NOT an available part

I confirmed with my local Verizon store that that is the case as well :-(

jcochran1977

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
My front facing camera is broken and shows a half moon when I take pictures. I also have a cover that doesn't always close correctly. ATT is replacing my phone due to the camera problem so in turn i win i supposed :) i can fix two problems with one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary