Can't hear caller and caller can't hear me unless I put on speaker phone

Thea Abney

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I bought a whole new Samsung Galaxy s5 on Friday when it first came out. When I have tried calling with it it does not work unless I put it on speaker phone. No one can hear me and I can't hear them unless I switch. Is there any way I can resolve this issue or is it a problem with the phone and I should take it back to the store I bought it at, as it is completely new?

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you using one of those signal boosters in your house? If so, you won't be able to hear, or be heard, if your tv or computer is using all your bandwidth.

Thea Abney

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Are you using one of those signal boosters in your house? If so, you won't be able to hear, or be heard, if your tv or computer is using all your bandwidth.

I don't think so? I honestly don't know what you are talking about but all the other phones that my family has works in the house and they can receive and call people and hear them just fine.

Thea Abney

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
does your case have the bottom microphone covered?

No, I wasn't using a cover, just the phone as it was.

I brought it back to the store and they didn't know what the issue was and now they have to send it in for repair and I don't have a phone for 2-3 weeks.. So if anyone else has discovered the same problem then all you can do is send it in I guess..

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As others have said I'd take it back. It sounds like a defective unit.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

LeahG16

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I just bought the Galaxy S5 from Verizon last Friday and for some reason when I disconnect my phone from Bluetooth, the person I'm speaking with can no longer hear me. All they hear is static although I can still hear them. I have to shut the phone down, take out the battery and then start it all up again to try and get it to work. Sometimes I've had to leave it off for a while to clear it. Does anybody know what's happening? I've seen lots of posts even with the S4 of similar issues where callers can't hear us. I had the S3 previously and never had this issue. I could just turn off the blue tooth when getting out of my car and carry on my conversation. Thanks! :'( :-\

Lorraine Robain

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy Note III - when I call there is no call connect tone or ringing and I cannot tell when someone picks up the call.
Further - they cannot hear me and I cannot hear them unless I switch to speakerphone. Restarting the phone does not solve the problem, neither does popping out the battery.

sanxdaddy

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Exact same problem with my new S5. Rogers is sending me a new phone and in the meantime I use the hands free earphones that were included which works fine.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
hey'd have to repair the hole caused by the new one I ripped them if they said I'd have to wait for the repair of a less than 2 week old phone.

Posted via Android Central App

debscan

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here with my S5 -- no case on phone, all settings double checked, multiple resets completed. The only way I can make/receive phone calls is using the speaker phone. Is the only option really to take the phone back to Verizon?

katchi

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
well i called VZW and all they did was to power off, take out the battery and sim card, while they reset my connection to VZ and once they did i put the sim card and battery back and powered on. they called me and it was all good, and i called someone and it was also all good. lets see how long this last, and i got my cell on monday the 14

gdusil

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I had the exact same problem on my new Samsung S5. certainly looks like a bug. But I held the power button for 4 seconds, and selected reset, and after it rebooted, it started working again.

Ron Nahass

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Same problem on my new Galaxy 5. Clearly related to using Bluetooth. Once enabled to use speaker in car it somehow turns off the usual handheld functionality of the phone when not in the car. If I turn off blue tooth does not restore function. Must turn off blue tooth, un pair the car, and reboot the device then handheld function of phone returns. Have done this several times. Must be a bug? Bluetooth disconnect function not working?

Dannysnypes

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi I have the same issue with my S4 mini. I know others that have it as well. I assumed it was a earpiece connection issue as the speakerphone plays from the back but taking a call normally would come from the earpiece on the front. Either way it seems like a common problem and i expect if you get new phones ita juat as likely to happen. Good luck. Im goig to take my phone apart to see of anythig is loose

Mattroid

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Just noticed this the other day and came here to see if anyone else had the same issue...seems so. I haven't done a lot of troubleshooting to try and fix yet, but speakerphone and using the Gear 2 work fine.

Edit: Turned off bluetooth on the Gear 2 and restarted the phone (I did nothing else at all) and it's working again...for now. Connected the Gear 2 again and tested the phone and it's still working.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21