Galaxy S5 Needs more RAM.

nike1203

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
After I deleted all the bloatware from my Note 2 I usually had 800MB-1GB of ram always available ,now with the S5 after the bloatware was terminated i have around 550-400MB of ram always available ,that's just depressing.
Why didn't they put more ram in this thing :'(

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the op,this is exactly why I won't purchase this phone, it has the same ram as my gs3 and I hate when I have like 10 apps open, the go back to one of the first apps I was using, just to find out that I'm no longer where I was before because of ram limitations.

Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk

procol

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the op,this is exactly why I won't purchase this phone, it has the same ram as my gs3 and I hate when I have like 10 apps open, the go back to one of the first apps I was using, just to find out that I'm no longer where I was before because of ram limitations.

Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk

More RAM is always good but those restarting the app from background is not always due to the insufficient RAM. Lots of apps are programmed to restart always regardless of RAM availability if it stayed background long enough.

Posted via Android Central App

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
More RAM is always good but those restarting the app from background is not always due to the insufficient RAM. Some apps are programmed to restart always regardless of RAM availability if it stayed background long enough.

Really? I didn't know that. Do you know why they would be set to restart?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Typical with touchwiz. In the S3 and S4 stuttering was a frequent occurrence because of all the resources dedicated to touchwiz. If you aren't experiencjng any lag or crashes then I wouldn't worry about it.

procol

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Really? I didn't know that. Do you know why they would be set to restart?

I'm not an Android programmer, but AFAIK reasons vary. If the app uses network and it lost connection to server while in the background, it has to re-establish connection by restarting because for the app it's safer to avoid errors from having old status. Also, OS cleans up the memory periodically regardless of RAM status because OS is designed that way for memory optimization. When going foreground again from background, some apps just reload the specific content from the server, some apps load the content from cache or local data and some apps restart completely. From app to app, it's different.

97TAWS6

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The S5 has same amt of RAM as my S3 and they should have given it 3GB. One of the reasons I'm considering the Note 3 instead.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
The S5 has same amt of RAM as my S3 and they should have given it 3GB. One of the reasons I'm considering the Note 3 instead.

Yea, I have no clue why they went with 2 instead of 3, unless it's just because they didn't want to increase the cost to make the phone or something

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My phone is lagless so far and the ram seems pretty good
9emejade.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I have no clue why they went with 2 instead of 3, unless it's just because they didn't want to increase the cost to make the phone or something

And the iPhone only has 1Gig and works perfectly fine.. People get too hung up on numbers .. They scaled back touch wiz some so ram usage isn't as bad, they could've put 4 gigs in here but if it's using the same amount under 2 gigs the phone isn't going to be any faster....as long as you not maxed out at 2 you wont have any issues... And to the person complaining cause you have 10 apps open and having issues, I think common sense would say don't have 10 apps open trying to use them all

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
And the iPhone only has 1Gig and works perfectly fine.. People get too hung up on numbers .. They scaled back touch wiz some so ram usage isn't as bad, they could've put 4 gigs in here but if it's using the same amount under 2 gigs the phone isn't going to be any faster....as long as you not maxed out at 2 you wont have any issues... And to the person complaining cause you have 10 apps open and having issues, I think common sense would say don't have 10 apps open trying to use them all

You can't compare both OS's in this case, the iPhone doesn't need much ram

Also, common sense says I shouldn't have 10 apps open? What am I supposed to do? Close every app the second in done with it then go back to my app draw when I want to use it? Lol

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Are you guys checking your RAM with your apps turned off?

If I go to the app switcher and close all my running apps, I have exactly 1.33GB/1.81GB available, with only the OS running.

So Touchwiz/Andriod is using approx half a GB of RAM. The rest is open.

For me anyway. (Sprint - Galaxy S5)

Thiscrapsucks35

May 2, 2013
Visit site

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
You can't compare both OS's in this case, the iPhone doesn't need much ram

Also, common sense says I shouldn't have 10 apps open? What am I supposed to do? Close every app the second in done with it then go back to my app draw when I want to use it? Lol

I know iOS needs less ram, but if you leave a bunch of apps open on iOS the same thing happens.. It will slow down.. And not you don't need to close apps right away , but if your complaining about things running slower cause you have 10 apps open not using them then that's your fault and your just fishing for things to complain about

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I know iOS needs less ram, but if you leave a bunch of apps open on iOS the same thing happens.. It will slow down.. And not you don't need to close apps right away , but if your complaining about things running slower cause you have 10 apps open not using them then that's your fault and your just fishing for things to complain about

Fishing for things to complain about? So since you don't have this issue I can't talk about it? They put multitasking in phones for a reason, and there's no reason I shouldn't be able to have so many apps open imo

And my iPad air never slows down and all my apps stay exactly where I leave them no matter how many I open, except for YouTube which I had paused for a day or so then came back and my video wasn't on.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

The GN3 has roughly 2.7GB of available RAM, mine will typically be using about 2.3GB, later versions of Android are very good at RAM management, it will use what is available, and free it up when needed. You will actually slow things down, and decrease battery life, if you're constantly trying to clear it manually, if you aren't experiencing lag issues, best to ignore it and leave it alone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance