Charging S5 with micro USB (not micro USB3) charger from S4

Alfie100

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The real question is ... why can't everyone standardize on a common charger?? The need for different cables and connections for different phones seems asinine. It's just power going into a device. I'm thinking of returning this junk as it just complicates my world.

twoleary

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I got a couple of 6 ft. micro USB cables for my S5 off eBay and although they seem to be fine for USB they do not always provide a good connection for charging.

A few times the phone did not charge overnight. I have never had an issue with the cable supplied with the S5

I was searching for the correct nomencalture for the longer two part connector when I found the forum, and now I know what I have to get.
I told the eBay vendor that a micro USB cable should not be referred to as a USB SYNC DATA CHARGING cable, IMO

Thanks

John Jennings2

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Mark
Your explanation should be at the top of the article. You clearly spell out which port does the charging and which is just for enhanced data transfer. This makes it crystal clear. Thanks for the education.
John

joewongt

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I found that you can still do data transfer using just the micro usb. I tried with just that via Kies3. Works just as well. Probably the usb3 is to speed up the transfer. I am not spending more $$$ just to get anther cable. No need to. My old micro-usb to USB works as well.

sammylegs

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Well obviously I've only been using a cable which goes into the right half of the port since I got the phone on Friday, as that's all I have! It charges the phone fine, no issues so far, except wondering why my cable didn't have 2 parts.
I got my new s5 about 2 hours ago and same no double charger its meant to boost the charging to full battery in one hour im in uk

Nrhirsch

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
bought a couple USB3 cables and one had an intermittent problem where when it was bent one way it would disconnect charging so I stripped it apart. was surprised to see that the cable ONLY uses the 4 microUSB pins. The cable itself only had 4 pins and yes it also worked transferring data. Note that in removing the connector covering, two cables came off the usb end. you can see clearly only the microusb side of the USB3 cable was used. Only 4 wires in the cable. Not willing to strip out a genuine Samsung USB but wonder if anyone else has?

Attachments

• usb3cable.jpg
    usb3cable.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 11

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The regular micro USB works, it is slower with everything, including charging.

No USB 3 cords work as well as the Samsung, I've bought several since my Note 3 and S5 use this cord. Many vats like to chew on the white 3 cord for some reason. I've tried them all, none are as good as the Samsung. If your phone is in warranty, it covers the charger and cord also.

If you want to order one online, go to Google and search for, Samsung accessories discount code, and you should find a code to get it 50% off. It works fine for me every single time I order one.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
bought a couple USB3 cables and one had an intermittent problem where when it was bent one way it would disconnect charging so I stripped it apart. was surprised to see that the cable ONLY uses the 4 microUSB pins. The cable itself only had 4 pins and yes it also worked transferring data. Note that in removing the connector covering, two cables came off the usb end. you can see clearly only the microusb side of the USB3 cable was used. Only 4 wires in the cable. Not willing to strip out a genuine Samsung USB but wonder if anyone else has?

I have one that the cat has chewed to death. I'll see about stripping it later tonight.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
No they both charge at the same speed if ur using the same amp power brick. USB 3.0 is mainly for file transfer speed

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No they don't charge at the same speed using the Samsung plug. I've tried it numerous times on my Note 3. Two hours to charge fully from 0 with the Samsung 3 cord. Much longer using a 2 cord, no matter which plug is used.

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
No they don't charge at the same speed using the Samsung plug. I've tried it numerous times on my Note 3. Two hours to charge fully from 0 with the Samsung 3 cord. Much longer using a 2 cord, no matter which plug is used.

than your other cord is bad, should be no different on the gs5

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

No it is not bad. I have tested this for a long time with my Note 3. That is where you can tell the difference.

You will never change a Note 3 in two hours with any other cord.

As I said, I have also bought numerous, brand new USB 3 cords due to my cat chewing them. None of them, no matter where they came from charge as fast either.

Kerry Sanders

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site

I agree. Using a micro-USB 2 charger takes forever... sometimes hours. Using a micro-USB charger with my S5 charges from dead to full in about an hour. Putting it on charge at night when it is around 10% to 15% remaining is about a half hour or so.

kaicho

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Both USB 2.0 and 3.0 use pins 1 and 4. If you have the same charger..charge time is the same...or one cable has smaller conductors. USB 3.0 has more conductor pins..google "USB 2.0 and 3.0 pinouts" and data speed.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Terry Hargraves

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I second the recommendation for the Anker 40watt device. I can charge my S5, Note 10.1 2014, Gear 2, headphones AND headset all at one time. No annoying messages about the wrong chargers. I am slightly disconcerted that 2 of the ports quit charging recently, but this morning I initiated a replacement with Anker and based on past dealings with them, I have every confidence that they will come through. Anker is one of the most customer-friendly companies I've ever had the pleasure to deal with.

Terry Hargraves

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, Scott Harkins, for your very well thought out and explained answer. You've answered half a dozen questions I've always suspected but was too lazy to seek out the answer. As a retired and now out of date IT support geek, I still know an intelligent answer when I see one. Great job!

BronxZilla

May 7, 2015
Visit site
You can use the old cable and charger just fine. All the charger blocks are the same voltage anyhow. I've used Iphone charging blocks to charge my Android. The cable with the 2 plugs seems to be just for USB3.0, which is a faster data rate when you connect it to your PC. As far as charging, you can use any USB cable you wish. It will charge fine. Just keep that double-plug cable handy in case you have a USB3 port on your computer. The charging speed won't increase because the voltages are set.