S5 Concerns - Looking For Input

bhc72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I am a new Galaxy User and have a few concerns about the S5 I purchased on Friday.

Firstly the alarm clock app that came pre-installed on the phone rarely works (checked system and notification volume, phone sound on during tests).

Secondly the phone gets quite warm on the right side. When I go to bed I plug the phone in for charging while I sleep, both days when I woke the phone was hot and functioned very very slow, drained battery quickly until I shut the phone down and rebooted (this fixed the slowness and constant heat generation coupled with battery drain).

It seems like my phone has some overnight issues that are causing resources to be rocked. Is this normal and to be expected with a new S5? Is this something that a software update will fix or do I have a bum phone?

Any guidance is much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Posted via Android Central App

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I am a new Galaxy User and have a few concerns about the S5 I purchased on Friday.

Firstly the alarm clock app that came pre-installed on the phone rarely works (checked system and notification volume, phone sound on during tests).

Secondly the phone gets quite warm on the right side. When I go to bed I plug the phone in for charging while I sleep, both days when I woke the phone was hot and functioned very very slow, drained battery quickly until I shut the phone down and rebooted (this fixed the slowness and constant heat generation coupled with battery drain).

It seems like my phone has some overnight issues that are causing resources to be rocked. Is this normal and to be expected with a new S5? Is this something that a software update will fix or do I have a bum phone?

Have you got blocking mode on as this can stop alarm alerts if not toggled off

Is the charging problem ok now ? if not I would return device

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
the alarm seems like a setting somewhere could be messed up or blocking mode like mentioned above. If it keeps doing the charging issue, i would just return it and get a new one. Mine definately doesn't have this issue.

bhc72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Just checked and mode is off. The charging issue has happened both nights that I charged it, I'll find out if it happens again overnight tonight leading into tomorrow. I guess if it happens again I'll take it back for a replacement....bummer.

Is it natural for the S5 to heat up on the right side during 20 minutes or more of continuous Web browsing and general phone use without giving the phone a break? This does tend to happen also.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I am a new Galaxy User and have a few concerns about the S5 I purchased on Friday...

It seems like my phone has some overnight issues that are causing resources to be rocked...

it is extremely likely that as a new Galaxy user and as this is a new phone, your phone is sync'ing all your contacts and all your Gmail accounts and various mail items during the night. if you have a very active gmail account, that may take a long time to sync depending on whether you selected "sync all" or "sync 90 days" or whatever.

after the first day or two of fully sync'ing everything, your battery usage and the S5's temperature should be back to normal which is running very cool typically, unlike many Apple laptops which literally feel like their bottoms are burning up on people's laps!

hope this helps. cheers.

bhc72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the answers! I do have 3 Google accounts and several other social media accounts that are set to sync. I did not see a sync data from date range for Google accounts but each account (email) has probably 200-1000 emails to sync so this is very possible.

On the second day I had my phone I used Samsung smart switch to sync text messages (7 years of history from iPhones) and it pretty much bricked the phone. The phone then started sending out masses of texts from 3-5 years ago and in order to render my phone functional once again I did a factory reset and started from scratch. Lesson learned, don't sync those texts if you've got a massive text history on file.

I really hope I didn't get a dud phone!

bhc72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Next day update: Disabled some syncing on the phone before charging overnight. The phone wasn't hot at all this morning and alarm worked. Not sure what made the big change but everything seems to be good now.

Thanks for the help guys.

bhc72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Update: got the phone replaced and there are no more issues! Looks like it was absolutely hardware related. Thanks again for the helpful responses.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci