Samsung finally has done something that only apple has done...

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
You can call it a gimmick but facts are it is faster. I'm in Jacksonville and I can be anywhere in the city... And get lower speeds on 3g (which is called 4g or HSPA) than I do on my LTE.... And mind you Jacksonville is the largest city land mass wise in the contential US.... So our towers don't get as saturated with users like a New York City tower would....

Examples below. First is LTE next is just 3g (or 4g HSPA as it's called). I'm sorry but this is faster and my LTE usually always is. If my signal on LTE equals that of my HSPA in that area LTE trumps it every time.

So you are stating it's a gimmick.. Which you can do since if that's your opinion... Well it's your opinion... But fact wise LTE is faster technology than HSPA. As Kevin stated Sprint 3g and Sprint LTE is a huge example of this.. The difference is drastic.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Depends on where you live.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
A marketing gimmick would be something like when AT&T decided to call their HSPA+ network "4G" when in fact it wasn't (and still isn't). That's still completely separate from their 4G LTE network, though.

They even magically gave a device "4g" from just a software update.

etyzaza2.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can call it a gimmick but facts are it is faster. I'm in Jacksonville and I can be anywhere in the city... And get lower speeds on 3g (which is called 4g or HSPA) than I do on my LTE.... And mind you Jacksonville is the largest city land mass wise in the contential US.... So our towers don't get as saturated with users like a New York City tower would....

Examples below. First is LTE next is just 3g (or 4g HSPA as it's called). I'm sorry but this is faster and my LTE usually always is. If my signal on LTE equals that of my HSPA in that area LTE trumps it every time.

So you are stating it's a gimmick.. Which you can do since if that's your opinion... Well it's your opinion... But fact wise LTE is faster technology than HSPA. As Kevin stated Sprint 3g and Sprint LTE is a huge example of this.. The difference is drastic.

Verizon 3g maxes out around 2.5 mbps.

Even lte there can be a substantial difference. 20x20mhz can hut 147mbps. 5x5 would be around 35mbps

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Depends on where you live.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

As with any network... But doesn't make it a gimmick. As we have posted facts time and time again.. :). My city proves I can be somewhere in the "boonies" or in a huge shopping center with thousands of people on the same towers.. And my LTE will trump my HSPA.

If you want to support your claim as a fact show your 3g where it is faster than LTE.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not to interrupt but I thought you could talk & surf simultaneously on any carrier except Sprint?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

On the GSM carriers yes. On Sprint and Verizon it's dependent on the device and whether the local network has been updated to support it (not sure it's deployed across the entire network for both carriers). dpham00 probably knows.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Not to interrupt but I thought you could talk & surf simultaneously on any carrier except Sprint?

On Verizon it depends. Over half of Verizon's smartphones sold by volume do not support simultaneous voice and data.

the remaining minority does support simultaneous voice and data over 4GLTE (svlte). No current device supports simultaneous voice and data over 3g(svdo l,but some legacy devices do. No Verizon device supports simultaneous voice and data over 1xrtt(2g)

Also my understanding is that on Sprint, no spark capable device supports simultaneous voice and data

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I am at the point where I hate TW in general. My magazine or not, it is a memory hog that needs a strict diet. Extinction would be best but probably not going to happen. But yes, TW lags.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

If you use another launcher like Nova doesn't this negate any of the ram-hogging qualities of TW? So the entire phone should run more smoothly. Right? Or am I missing something?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If you use another launcher like Nova doesn't this negate any of the ram-hogging qualities of TW? So the entire phone should run more smoothly. Right? Or am I missing something?

Short answer is no, especially not any or all, but it can help with the animations, which are some of the most perceived user facing contact points.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

To elaborate on Darth's answer, because of so many hooks in the ROM (features like smart stay, S voice, etc), the ROM itself has some memory hogging because even when the hooks are disabled, the ROM still occasionally looks for input from them.

Now, to elaborate on my comment, RAM was only part of what I was referring to. I think it was pathetic that the TW ROM being so large on the S4. Now, the S5 has trimmed down some, but still, 4.5 GB almost half as much extra as Vanilla Android.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
A marketing gimmick would be something like when AT&T decided to call their HSPA+ network "4G" when in fact it wasn't (and still isn't). That's still completely separate from their 4G LTE network, though.

I'm glad someone else gets it.
I call that HSPA+ stuff faux G

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad someone else gets it.
I call that HSPA+ stuff faux G

Apple considers it 3g. Even speeds twice as fast as hspa+ 21 is considered 3g by Apple.

ny5ajyru.jpg

It should also be noted that a 5x5 lte deployment such as att 700MHz in Chicago gets about the same speed as dc. Although the att s5 does support 700MHz aggregation with aws

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Apple considers it 3g. Even speeds twice as fast as hspa+ 21 is considered 3g by Apple.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/17/ny5ajyru.jpg

It should also be noted that a 5x5 lte deployment such as att 700MHz in Chicago gets about the same speed as dc. Although the att s5 does support 700MHz aggregation with aws

There was an update to whatever iPhone was out at the time that changed the icon from 3G to 4G.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There was an update to whatever iPhone was out at the time that changed the icon from 3G to 4G.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That is correct. Sometime around March 2012, IIRC. But only for gsm model.

What gets more murky is that tmobile DC-hspa+ can hit 42mbps. A 5x5 lte network such as att b17 in Chicago can get 37.5mbps. So would dc-hspa+ be considered 3g or 4g? What about 5x5 lte - 3g or 4g?

For those saying that hspa+ isn't real 4g, are you referring to just hspa+ 21 or including dc-hspa+ 42?

anon(8328984)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Played with one at the store for 10 minutes. That thing lags like crazy! It even froze up on me while trying to show the S health app to someone. I believe the first phone to get it right was the HTC One. Don't even get me started on Samsungs awful radios!

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Played with one at the store for 10 minutes. That thing lags like crazy! It even froze up on me while trying to show the S health app to someone. I believe the first phone to get it right was the HTC One. Don't even get me started on Samsungs awful radios!

Posted via Android Central App

Playing with store model might not be a good representation of how the phone would really run. Who knows what people installed on it or did to it.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
You can "bet" that all you want. I have all three devices in front of me right now (S5, M8, Tab Pro 8.4). The UI being slower than the M8 is a fact, as I can look and see it for myself, right now, at this very moment.

You should also realize that I have both devices, and I don't need anybody's approval to feel good about any purchases that I make. I'm not that insecure.

Well , How would you describe this "UI slower" ?

Slow as in "Takes more loading time" or
Slow as in "Feels stuttery" ?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835