Can someone explain this charger to me?

cobaltgirl87

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So I just got the GS5 yesterday, and already love it. I do my research on things before I buy them, and know my way around phones really well...except this charger thing has me confused. The person at the store that sold me the phone said one thing about the charger, and a friend that had the phone before me said something different, and I want to clear the air.

Can I use my old chargers from my GS3 with this GS5 or not? What is the purpose of the "Extended micro USB" cord??

The rep at the store told me I could not use the regular micro USB cables to charge the GS3, only to transfer data, if I want to charge it, I HAVE To use the extended micro USB that came with the phone. However, I went home and had to test her theory because my friend told me that isnt true, and it SEEMS to charge, but I dont know if continuing to do that will harm the phone or anything?

I just don't want to have to go buy a whole new slew of chargers if I am able to use my micro USB chargers instead.

Thanks in advance! :cool:

meyn3

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
You can still use the old charger with the micro USB, and the phone will charge at a normal speed that you are used to. The new charger is for the quick charge. And in my experience the last few days, gets you a full charge in about hour and half.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can use microusb 2.0 cables to charge and for data transfer on the s5. However data transfer speeds would be slower than if a microusb 3.0 cable was used on a USB 3.0 port. Charging speed would be the same provided same charger. Though the s3 charger is 1a so it would charge slower than the 2a charger on the s5

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

pezdukie

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else blown away by the charging speed on this phone? With both the new charger and even existing chargers I have like my car charger, this thing will gain 10% in just 15 minutes or so. I'm really impressed

cobaltgirl87

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So far yes! I am also impressed with the battery life so far, hoping that stays the case. Coming from the GS3 to this thing I was like "wow how is it still 90% after doing a bunch of changes to it this morning. My GS3 would have been at like 75% in that amt of time.
Is anyone else blown away by the charging speed on this phone? With both the new charger and even existing chargers I have like my car charger, this thing will gain 10% in just 15 minutes or so. I'm really impressed

Chris Abbott

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Honestly that seems slow. I can charge mine in about an hour fully.

here4kids

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
something I learned last night is the new extended micro USB cable needs to be in the travel adaptor that came with the s5. I used a different one (dual charger I always used with the s3) and it beeped/screen lit up/showed the replace battery charging flap warning 15 seconds after the screen went to sleep. repeat. and repeat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
You can still use the old charger with the micro USB, and the phone will charge at a normal speed that you are used to. The new charger is for the quick charge. And in my experience the last few days, gets you a full charge in about hour and half.

To be clear, the speed of the charge is dependent on the charger, not the chord, not even the connection (the funky USB 3.0 connection looking dongle). The only time that the 3.0 connection should matter is when you plug it into a USB 3.0 source, most commonly modern laptops and computers. Then it will draw more power and charge faster (in addition to transferring files much faster) rather than the trickle charge that a 2.0 USB source provides (or a typical 1 Amp USB charger).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I do not think the USB 3.0 matters much if at all if you have a decent wall or car charger (i.e. 2 Amps and higher, although being higher than 2 Amps may not be useful).

meyn3

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

I'm very pleased with it! I'm hoping it doesn't hurt battery life down the line though. I'm still wondering if I have some bloatware taking up some battery life.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
To be clear, the speed of the charge is dependent on the charger, not the chord, not even the connection (the funky USB 3.0 connection looking dongle). The only time that the 3.0 connection should matter is when you plug it into a USB 3.0 source, most commonly modern laptops and computers. Then it will draw more power and charge faster (in addition to transferring files much faster) rather than the trickle charge that a 2.0 USB source provides (or a typical 1 Amp USB charger).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I do not think the USB 3.0 matters much if at all if you have a decent wall or car charger (i.e. 2 Amps and higher, although being higher than 2 Amps may not be useful).

3.0 only matters for data transfer speeds. Doesn't decrease charging time.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I plugged mine in for 20 minutes the other day, and went from 30% remaining to 60%. I didn't say anything in these forums, because I didn't want people calling me a liar. I'm glad others experienced this haha

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Samsung may or may not be using the Quick Charge Capability of the Snapdragon processors. The LG G2 has this and if you use the OEM charger you can get a full charge in about 45 minutes. I rarely use this because I love the wireless charging feature of the G2 (use it with a Nokia charger bought on the ATT site - as long as it is Qi compatibile (all Nokia Chargers are) then you can use it with the G2 (or other Qi compatible phones). I believe if you buy the OEM wireless charging cover for the S5 it is Qi Compatible.