switched from Iphone to Galaxy S5, need some help please

Foxtrot_01

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,
New member here and new to Android. I just switched to a Galaxy S5 from an Iphone 4 last friday, I?ve always been a fan of android so after waiting I took the plunge.
The S5 is a beautiful phone, the screen is gorgeous.

I am a new user on android so I am trying to get things working, I have a couple questions that I hope someone can help me with, granted I probably have to take a crash course on the S5.

1.One of the problems I?ve been having is that my email messages don?t download pics or images, there is just a blank box with a small question mark, I don?t care for data usage because my plan has unlimited data.
I am sure if there is a way to make all images on the emails to download without being prompted to, at least I hope there is a way. Also some of the pics wont download even after I press show images.

2. I am also trying to figure out if there is a way to get the notifications on the screen while the phone is sitting on my desk. I just get a beep and have no clue what is it for so I have to open it and by then the little message is gone. On the iphone I used to get notifications about weather, texts, vip emails, ESPN news, CNN news/alerts, they pop on my screen and stay there for a couple minutes, once I turn the phone on the list is there so I can catch up quickly and decide if I want to review them and unlock the phone. Is there something like this on the Galaxy?
If I lean the phone horizontally I can see a whole bunch of icons from weather, ESPN but no idea how to access them, I guess I have to open the whole app. Not sure.

3.Lastly, the smart switch works but not 100%, half of my contacts are gone, I am not sure if you can customize a text ring for contacts, I haven?t found a way to do so. Half of my whatapp contacts vanished.

4. Is there a way to save images on different folders? Like personal pics that you take on one folder, downloaded pics on another and so on?

If anyone has any tips or answers on these topics I would really appreciate it. Again, I know I have to take a crash course on this.

StarkillerFIN

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
2. I am also trying to figure out if there is a way to get the notifications on the screen while the phone is sitting on my desk. I just get a beep and have no clue what is it for so I have to open it and by then the little message is gone. On the iphone I used to get notifications about weather, texts, vip emails, ESPN news, CNN news/alerts, they pop on my screen and stay there for a couple minutes, once I turn the phone on the list is there so I can catch up quickly and decide if I want to review them and unlock the phone. Is there something like this on the Galaxy?
If I lean the phone horizontally I can see a whole bunch of icons from weather, ESPN but no idea how to access them, I guess I have to open the whole app. Not sure.

I think the options for the lockscreen are quite useless, but you can download lockscreen apps on the Google Play. I've not used them a lot, but I think SlideLock would do the job.

EDIT: However, some use the original lockscreen http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=380601 and yeah the DashClock also may be good.

4. Is there a way to save images on different folders? Like personal pics that you take on one folder, downloaded pics on another and so on?

Pictures should automatically save in different folders in the gallery. Like screenshots, camera pictures, one folder for every photo editing app and so on.

Posted via Android Central App

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Firstly, this: Galaxy S5 help: How to set up your new GS5 | Android Central

1.One of the problems I?ve been having is that my email messages don?t download pics or images.
Gmail now does this automatically...not sure if there's a setting in the stock mail app, which I'm guessing you're using.

2. I am also trying to figure out if there is a way to get the notifications on the screen while the phone is sitting on my desk.
Lockscreen widgets!! They're the best. DashClock is a fantastic option with lots of extensions to customize your notifications. I use Dynamic Notifications which I really like.

Welcome and enjoy!

Foxtrot_01

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
you know I forgot completely that all the widgets and apps that android has is one of the things that make Android great. Thanks for the advice. I thought that I had to stick with the email stock app from samsung, I guess it's baby steps after coming out of apple prison.
Any other apps that you guys might want to suggest is much appreciated.

StarkillerFIN

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

StarkillerFIN

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, no email app suggestions from me because I only use Gmail, via the Gmail app

Edit: One quick battery saving tip here: Go to the app drawer, open "Google Settings", click on "Location" and be sure that the first setting under your email is unchecked. I think it would just locate your phone without any reason. And sorry, I don't remember the exact English terms now

Posted via GT-N7100 Note II

Last edited:

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
NiLS and NiLS floating panel are good lock screen apps. Nine is a good email replacement app, although I like the stock email.

here4kids

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I like k9 mail a lot. others like aqua mail. but I have found none of us like change. so I try out a program for 1 week to learn it. and yes, in contacts you can edit it to have different sounds for messages as well as different ring tones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Foxtrot_01

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
one more question, I used smart switch via icloud to load contacts to my galaxy, some of them didnt transfer, when I download whatapp some of the contacts were not there either. I know the imessage had issues but I am not sure why whatapp will have issues with contacts. Any idea how to fix it? I am going to ATT tomorrow to get my contacts transferred I hope that transfer is better than the one I have now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci