About had it with the Galaxy S5 already

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: About had it with the S5 already

Also, question:

As soon as I bought the S5 (literally at the AT&T store), it INSTANTLY started automatically downloading and installing all of the apps that I had installed on my S2 Skyrocket. Is there a way that I can stop that from happening, once I do a factory reset? I want to install things manually, not automatically.

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

your phone is not a lemon. Basically the Android OS is doing a scan of your SD card, that will take a day or a few days depending on card/files etc.. This happens when you start with a fresh OS and a used SD card.

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Also, question:

As soon as I bought the S5 (literally at the AT&T store), it INSTANTLY started automatically downloading and installing all of the apps that I had installed on my S2 Skyrocket. Is there a way that I can stop that from happening, once I do a factory reset? I want to install things manually, not automatically.

Yes, instead of clicking next next next next next, read what you're nexting, lol
During setup, it will ask you if you want to restore all your apps, by default, it's checked. UNcheck it.

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Yes, instead of clicking next next next next next, read what you're nexting, lol
During setup, it will ask you if you want to restore all your apps, by default, it's checked. UNcheck it.

That's not what I did. There was no option that I saw in the setup that asked me about restoring apps. Boy, these forums are really full of "helpful experts".

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the replies. Any ideas on the "Music" and "Media" apps using my battery? I'm on AT&T, FYI.

Just copy all your SD content into your PC, then format your SD card using the Format card option on the Storage menu on the phone, then copy back all your files. It should help with battery issues and maybe some lags while accessing SD contents.

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Just copy all your SD content into your PC, then format your SD card using the Format card option on the Storage menu on the phone, then copy back all your files. It should help with battery issues and maybe some lags while accessing SD contents.

Did that last night, except I formatted it FAT32 on the PC. I did it because, in addition to all my other problems with this phone, it CONSTANTLY keeps unmounting and mounting the SD card. It didn't help. The card is a 32GB Sandisk Ultra HC1. It works fine in every other device I've used it in. Ideas?

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

your phone is not a lemon. Basically the Android OS is doing a scan of your SD card, that will take a day or a few days depending on card/files etc.. This happens when you start with a fresh OS and a used SD card.

A DAY OR A FEW DAYS for about 13 GB of music!!!????

That is ABSURD.

The card is a 32 GB Sandisk Ultra HC1. Works great in everything I've tried it in. In this phone, it keeps unmounting and re-mounting, as well.

I'm extremely frustrated at this point..

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Reformat your card to NTFS because its resistant to getting corrupted if the write is interrupted. FAT would need to rebuild the file table and is limited to 4gb size files. If you want to carry bigger files (HD movies), you won't be able to with FAT. NTFS has much better compatibility with your PC as well.

uwbadger2010

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

pull your sd card then restart your phone and see what happens. that will tell you if your sd card needs reformating. with samsung link, it keeps the cpu running cuz its either searching for other samsung devices or trying to upload pics etc to another device in the background. i disabled mine and problem solved. samsung link is likely your solution to media running. dowload gsm battery monitor and flip between that and stock app mgr running apps to find the process that is running. when you click on each running app it will list the processes running with it at the bottom. match that with wat gsm tells you for media and music. then turn that app/prog off. a lot of crap on the phone you dont need and will never use. not just samsung or android with useless stuff on phones.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

That's not what I did. There was no option that I saw in the setup that asked me about restoring apps. Boy, these forums are really full of "helpful experts".

When you setup your phone for the first time, there is a screen that asks you if you want to backup you stuff to Google, and another checkbox to restore it. It comes up usually after signing into your Google account. It happens on pretty much every Android phone. Do a factory reset, and read each screen as you are doing the setup.

And by the way, no one claims to be an expert. This is a community of people who love Android, and like to help others out (for the most part). These forums help hundreds of people daily, including me. And in return we try to help others out that are in need. It's also a good place for discussion and various other things.

killakumes

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

Thought id put my two cents in to help a fellow forum user and so many detailed and helpful suggestions have already been posted. But i guess free advice from people taking to time to help out isn't good enough for them. Good luck to you, seriously.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Thought id put my two cents in to help a fellow forum user and so many detailed and helpful suggestions have already been posted. But i guess free advice from people taking to time to help out isn't good enough for them. Good luck to you, seriously.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks. Tone CAN be conveyed through text, sometimes. Most people have been very helpful. A few have answered in snarky way.

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Reformat your card to NTFS because its resistant to getting corrupted if the write is interrupted. FAT would need to rebuild the file table and is limited to 4gb size files. If you want to carry bigger files (HD movies), you won't be able to with FAT. NTFS has much better compatibility with your PC as well.

Thought I had read that Android preferred FAT32. I'll try NTFS, thanks!

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

A DAY OR A FEW DAYS for about 13 GB of music!!!????

That is ABSURD.

The card is a 32 GB Sandisk Ultra HC1. Works great in everything I've tried it in. In this phone, it keeps unmounting and re-mounting, as well.

I'm extremely frustrated at this point..

Like I said before, just copy your data and format your card on the phone, it helps a lot last year with the s4 and I just think it's doing the same on the S5 with certain SD cards, a friend of mine kept having the issue and just got a new SD card, Samsung be, never again had the issue.

The battery issue is because of the same, fixing one will fix the other.

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Do you listen to music on your S5?

Yes, but not with that app (which I THINK is a Samsung or AT&T app, because it's NOT Google Play Music). I use Power Amp as my music player, so I have no idea why this "Music" app is running, and I'm not happy that I can't disable it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz