galaxy s5 camera lens cracked

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Glass is glass it breaks. These are no different then the other 50 android handsets that have glass covering the camera. Apple is smart and uses sapphire crystal which is much harder than gorilla glass or regular glass. Have people not realized glass breaks and is fragile?

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

Sophia Zhao

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Also heard that for water resistant, the camera lens are installed with waterproof adhesive. And nobody has idea how to repair it at present except Samsung. If someone had done the repair, i really wonder to know how, replace camera lens only or the whole frame. And does Samsung do best on after-sale service.

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Glass is glass it breaks. These are no different then the other 50 android handsets that have glass covering the camera. Apple is smart and uses sapphire crystal which is much harder than gorilla glass or regular glass. Have people not realized glass breaks and is fragile?

We all know glass is glass and that it breaks when dropped but Gorilla glass is better than regular glass at resisting breakage from impact. Samsung has apparently used just a regular piece of glass over the lens cover instead of gorilla glass that would be expected.

And Apple still uses Gorilla Glass just like everyone else for their screens and camera covers. Sapphire glass hasn't been released as screen glass for Apple just yet.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Iv droped my phone over the years at lease 20 times and have never lost a lens-

good luck everyone.

I have always had my phones in cases just in case it got dropped. The one time I do break a phone it wasn't from a drop. I think it hit a display cabinet corner in the store while on my hip in the holster with the camera facing out.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed a huge dent on my camera bezel. I haven't dropped my phone and have been baby'ing it since day 1

-Sent from Tapatalk

anon(41665)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I have always had my phones in cases just in case it got dropped. The one time I do break a phone it wasn't from a drop. I think it hit a display cabinet corner in the store while on my hip in the holster with the camera facing out.

From the looks of the damage that seems a very likely scenario. I was picturing a hairline crack or something similar. The image seems (I am not an expert by any means BTW) to convey a sharp impact causing the radiating pattern. I have that otterbox as well and do not use the holster for fear of bumping into something.

Speaking of otterboxes - that case is a lifesaver. My S4 had the otterbox and a week before getting the S5 I fumbled while getting out of my car and in the process of trying to grab it (which I think probably resembled more of an epileptic seizure than anything) literally flung my S4 across an asphalt parking lot. I watched in horror, and in slow motion, as it bounced on every conceivable corner and side possible. It went a good 10 feet. There wasnt a scratch on the device nor the case for that matter. Will never use a phone without one.

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes Captain Obvious, we all know glass is glass and that it breaks when dropped but Gorilla glass is better than regular glass at resisting breakage from impact. Samsung has apparently used just a regular piece of glass over the lens cover instead of gorilla glass that would be expected.

And Apple still uses Gorilla Glass just like everyone else for their screens and camera covers. Sapphire glass hasn't been released as screen glass for Apple just yet.

apple does already use it for that.

Sapphire vs. Gorilla Glass: Why Corning is Scared of a Sapphire iPhone | Digital Trends

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes Captain Obvious, we all know glass is glass and that it breaks when dropped but Gorilla glass is better than regular glass at resisting breakage from impact. Samsung has apparently used just a regular piece of glass over the lens cover instead of gorilla glass that would be expected.

Do some research. Apple uses sapphire crystal for their camera lens and for the fingerprint scanner on the iPhone 5s. Its not being used as screens yet. But the only thing harder than sapphire crystal is diamond so apple is pretty smart. And gorilla glass is more resistant to scratches and breaks but it is still fragile simple as that. Pretty common sense stuff.

ecr80

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I'm still haven't decided which phone to get but this thread definitely makes it harder to think to choose the GS5. I'm extra careful with my devices but if this truly happens without any falls, etc. it's just really odd. Maybe a bad batch?

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, I'm still haven't decided which phone to get but this thread definitely makes it harder to think to choose the GS5. I'm extra careful with my devices but if this truly happens without any falls, etc. it's just really odd. Maybe a bad batch?

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

I'd think bad batch. I got mine in release day, had it 5 days without a case and no problems. I bought a snap on case (Incipio Pro) that extends a bit beyond the camera lense. I like that. Just in case.

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Do some research. Apple uses sapphire crystal for their camera lens and for the fingerprint scanner on the iPhone 5s. Its not being used as screens yet. But the only thing harder than sapphire crystal is diamond so apple is pretty smart. And gorilla glass is more resistant to scratches and breaks but it is still fragile simple as that. Pretty common sense stuff.

I did do some research and in the long run couldn't actually care any less for the pos iCrap. One would think though with all of the cloning of Crapple products that Samsung would have cloned the better lens glass as well. I have had many "S" phones (S, S2, S3, Note 3) with Otterbox cases on them all and this S5 seems like a downgrade on some of the material quality. This is the first time i have ever broken any part of these phones. I got this phone on the first day it became available in the stores so, as it was pointed out earlier, it might just be a poor batch quality.

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
From the looks of the damage that seems a very likely scenario. I was picturing a hairline crack or something similar. The image seems (I am not an expert by any means BTW) to convey a sharp impact causing the radiating pattern. I have that otterbox as well and do not use the holster for fear of bumping into something.

Speaking of otterboxes - that case is a lifesaver. My S4 had the otterbox and a week before getting the S5 I fumbled while getting out of my car and in the process of trying to grab it (which I think probably resembled more of an epileptic seizure than anything) literally flung my S4 across an asphalt parking lot. I watched in horror, and in slow motion, as it bounced on every conceivable corner and side possible. It went a good 10 feet. There wasnt a scratch on the device nor the case for that matter. Will never use a phone without one.

I saw a friends S3 fall out of his bag while we were riding down a road outside of Denver and it went for a long hard skid down the road at 45mph and bounced off into a field. I called it so we could hopefully find it and it rang! It was in an Otterbox Defender case.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
One of my granddaughters broke her camera lens in her brand now iPhone. She had to take it back to the Apple Store and they charged her $ 89 to fix it.

I assume that, if someone does break their Samsung Galaxy S5, taking it back to the ATT (or other carrier) store will get it fixed for a price. If anyone brought back their S5 with broken lens, what was the price to fix it?

I cover my S5 lens with a 3 x 5 cloth jewelry pouch. However, one must remove it when charging to avoid over heating.

I use the Folio Case with flip cover. Does the Otterbox cover the camera lens?

Michael Stocker

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I just noticed that my rear camera lens also cracked. I have not dropped my phone and have had it in a case since before I walked out the door of AT&T.

I have seen on youtube that people have replaced the lens on an S4 from a part they bought off of eBay. Would the same part from an S4 fit on an S5 so I dont have to pay the deducible for insurance and be without a phone for 2 weeks for a 3$ fix?

Thanks in advance.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I can think of is that when the phone was in my purse and I put my keys in it, maybe my keys hit the camera lens. Still this shouldn't happen so easily.

There you go... So technically it may very well be your fault even if it was unintentional. I steer clear of putting my phone in my pocket (or alike) unless it's just that in there and nothing else. Keys very well could have done it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech